Weathering my new 99centTaco ammo belt

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I got a terrific new ROTJ style ammo belt from 99centTaco from his most recent run and just wanted to show some pics of what I'm doing to it. (Insert evil laughter here :))
It's a beautiful leather belt! The quality of the materials and the workmanship is amazing. I'm really pleased with it and don't see that I'll have a need to upgrade this belt at any time!
Here are a couple of shots of the belt as received. I didn't think it would be so hard to photograph leather! There are some subleties in the color of the dye that just don't come through in these pics.

IMG_00022.jpg

IMG_00032.jpg

I wanted my belt to show some wear, like in the MoM and AoSW ref pics.
I used a couple of different tools/supplies to do this. I first put some of the scratches in physically, using a sharp X-acto blade and an old dental pick. By varying the pressure I was able to vary the effect from "smudge" all the way to "scrape."
To add some of the white scuffs seen in the ref pics I used white liquid shoe polish. I applied it with the cut-off end of a plastic microbrush, dabbing very small dots and lines onto the pouches.
For the small number of black/gray scuffs, I used black Citadel ink and some gray acrylic paint.
So here's how the pouches look now. :)

IMG_00152.jpg

IMG_00142.jpg

I tried to get these shots in natural light as much as possible so some of the dye variation shows up.
You can see how the color shifts depending on the angle of the lighting, which is really cool!

IMG_00182.jpg

IMG_00192.jpg

Next I'll be adding some damage and scuffs to the belt itself. Mostly some more white scuffs around the back portions. (y)

Thanks! Here's the second stage of doing the belt. . . the back. :)

IMG_00023.jpg

IMG_00042.jpg

I'm gonna have to check through my references and try to find some clear shots of the sides of the belt to see how closely I can simulate the remaining portions. Hopefully I'll have a couple of shots somewhere.

Well, I said it before but I'll say it again, you do some beautiful leather work!
It's so nice to be able to start with a great base to work from. :) :cheers

Has anyone used any type of chemical weathering rather than physical? Rather than specific gouges, maybe this changes the overall appearance in addition to scuff marks? Any input? Thanks.

I was moving parts around, organizing them, and on a whim I grabbed the Taco belt and started at it with an exacto, and then some steel wool. The steel wool works pretty well for the scoffs, and it's not TOO abrasive, so you can change the pressure you apply to get different looks. I'll probably take a bit of paint to a few spots to affect the color.

Nice work Superjedi !!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back