ESB Girth Belt Information

escho34

Hunter
So I found this online last night. Is this what I should be getting? Also, is Fett's Girth Belt in ESB brown or Red. I'll have to watch it again but I thought the ESB was brown. I have seen some ESB Fetts with red belts though.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Centaur-Non-Slip-Mohair-Girth-pr-179174.html

These seem really reasonable. Would the brown one require any additional dying if it is the right color for an ESB Fett? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea that is what you are looking for but all of those are huge the smallest one they make is 40inches. Remember you want a gap in the back to allow for the straps between the buckles.

And yes I am pretty sure the ESB one is Brown. The ROTJ one is red.

I got the impression ESB fetts were buying the white ones and dyeing them a wine/burgundy color.

Yea that is what you are looking for but all of those are huge the smallest one they make is 40inches. Remember you want a gap in the back to allow for the straps between the buckles.

And yes I am pretty sure the ESB one is Brown. The ROTJ one is red.

Great, thanks again Pred...

Where do you get those straps b/w the buckles or does this come with it?

So for a guy with a 36/38 waist, the 40 inch girth belt would work? And I should just get one in brown then? Thanks!

So I just called there and it was an interesting call. I got made fun of just a bit but whatever, she was actually pretty cool. So the smallest they do have in fact is 40 inches and only in white/natural for color.

So since I would have to dye this, what would be the correct brown?

You guys can shoot me if I'm asking too many questions :lol:

So brown was available last week but only in larger sizes...I checked this week and they have sizes starting at 34 inches which is great but now only in natural/white.

I went ahead and just grabbed one in a 38 and I guess I will dye or paint it. Does anyone have any tips? I've seen the other thread that talks about dying it ROTJ red. I guess I can use that method but would need to know what brown to buy. I also was told that you can spray paint it. Anyone have tips on this technique? Thanks!

Just hope that the one you purchased does not have any of the protectant they are putting on the raw mohair to prevent irritating or chaffing the horses skin.
Despite it says raw mohair I was finding that it was not really raw, it was treated.
So what this means for you is the dye won't take and its a real pain. Just a FYI and the best dye combination for ESB will combine a shade of red and brown to get a auburn brown of sorts.
This is the just reason I quit doing girth belts. I was having a very hard time finding untreated mohair.

I'm pretty sure that HorseLoverz sells the Centaur Mohair girths -- which are untreated. I've done a couple of ROTJ's successfully using the latex + stain method. Just search "girth" and you'll probably find it.

I used Rustoleum Painter's Choice Colonial Red latex paint with a Minwax Water based wood stain (Fruit Punch, I think) in different proportions to get slightly different results. You might choose a browner stain to mix with the red latex paint or might need to find a different, more burgundy latex paint altogether. Like I said, I was doing ROTJ, so redder was better.

Good luck!
Chris

Okay all, so I got mine and one thing that I think is super important is for other guys just starting out to know how these sizes run. I'm a 36/38 waist naturally depending and I decided just on a whim to go with the 38 size girth and it works out perfectly. It just makes it around the back of my hips so there would be a good/canon size gap for the strapping to go across the back of my waist.

I never really got a distinct answer on this and at the time when I purchased I figured I would need to go smaller than my waist size in order to achieve the proper look. For a long time the Horseloverz site only had size 40 and up but when I bought they had sizes 34 and up so I was torn b/w 36 and 38. I think even the 36 would of worked but now with the 38 once I have my flightsuit on and all that it seems like it will be perfect!

So now that brings me to my last three questions about this piece.

1. What is the proper color brown for ESB so I can either spray paint it or dye it?

2. What is the proper webbing/strapping to attach the buckles in the back?

3. What material(s) are used to be a backing for the girth. I know they some of you mount it so the ropes all stay together and such but what would work best so it doesn't limit your movement and all that?
Thanks!

IMO the ESB belt is brown, too.

I have several original-brown girth belts in stock, no dyed-ones so you won´t find the dying-color later on your jumpsuit.

PM if you´re interested.

Greetings,

Florian

Thanks but I already bought one and will have to dye it. If I screw it up, I'll be in touch!

OK so lets say I'm 34" should I go for a 34" Girth belt? what was Jeremy Bullock waist size, I'm doing my Fett costume for display only and want it to be as accurate as possible in size.

GFollano

OK so lets say I'm 34" should I go for a 34" Girth belt? what was Jeremy Bullock waist size, I'm doing my Fett costume for display only and want it to be as accurate as possible in size.

GFollano

Yup, from what my experience has been. I would go no smaller than a 32 girth if you're a 34 but no more than a 34...

ESB is dark brown and rotj is a dark red

Well, I finally went ahead and got this done with the help of Whiste8mp's tutorial. The vaseline on the buckles worked like a charm btw...

I just bought a 2 dollar aluminum disposable deep baking tray, some latex gloves, a beat up towel and some paint from Walmart to do this. I found a deep brown with 20% red value in it. I poured about a third of the small paint can into the tray and took about 20 minutes to masage the paint into the fabric. Then I strained it, hung it for about 45 minutes, wrapped it flat in a towel and slowly stood on it on my garage floor. This took a ton of the excess paint out. Then I used a heat gun on it for about 20 minutes and repeated the patting with the towel. I'm just going to leave it now hanging in my garage for awhile. I cleaned the buckles up in the meantime.

Hopefully it doesn't bleed...I'll get to backing it later to keep it more together for the costume. The flash kind of shows the little bit of red tint but not much. It does look great though in person and already has a sort of worn look to it...

FettDad, go for it...way easier than I thought...:cheers

My belt
DSCN1489.jpg

The paint
DSCN1494.jpg

My trusty companion Bella
DSCN1495.jpg

awesome, brother!! thanks man, needed that vote of confidence...i will do that this weekend...great job!! (y)

No problemo, thanks!...all together, this probably cost around 25 bucks maybe 30 for everything from start to finish.

You might have to dye it twice if you start to see a little bit of the white in the belt. When you dye it twice it takes it out just like a charm

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back