What a difference 5 years make - photos and costumes

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
After our last shoot in Boston, I have gone back and looked at some of my earliest efforts to capture the awesome costumes of the members of TDH. It is pretty amazing to see how the photos (colors, composition, backgrounds, etc)as well as the costumes have changed in that time.

compare_zam.jpg

compare_jango.jpg

compare_tusken.jpg

compare_boba.jpg

vader_compare.jpg

vader2_compare.jpg

Awesome Art. It really puts in in perspective.
The costumes have become better and your photography skill has progressed to better show them off. Nice work!

looking good art. I think also 3 year of equipment collecting helped also.. hahah.. Amazing difference when your comparing, Studio strobes to on camera flash. Excellent...
One thing to notice is your camera composition is AWSOME!.. You can tell your shooting has improved angles.

Have you tried using a LightSphere? They actually work really well and handy when you go off site.

Excellect shots.. Love the F11-F16 shots!... you must of had a large studio.

Wow, no comparison. Your latest shots are looking really good! As already mentioned, the perspectives are also really improved.

Wow!!! What a contrast! The evolution of your photography skills and the costumes have moved forward in unison. This definately highlights the Silver Age of the hobby itself. And it can only get better. Your "skills are complete" Art! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
looking good art. I think also 3 year of equipment collecting helped also.. hahah.. Amazing difference when your comparing, Studio strobes to on camera flash. Excellent...
One thing to notice is your camera composition is AWSOME!.. You can tell your shooting has improved angles.

Have you tried using a LightSphere? They actually work really well and handy when you go off site.

Excellect shots.. Love the F11-F16 shots!... you must of had a large studio.

Equipment has definitely played a big role. After coming back from the last shoot I told Mirax, I really want to look at some new pieces so we can do an even better job. Equipment alone won't make a great photo but if you know what you are doing it really can make a huge difference. I think the two greatest equipment purchases I have made in the last year have been softboxes and a Canon "L" series lens. With each I noticed an immediate and dramatic difference in the quality of my photos.

I have worked a lot of composition and while it has improved, I have a long was to do in terms of getting my shots composed as I think they should be. My biggest prob is getting frustrated and rushing through instead of taking my time.

I have not used a lightsphere but will definitely look into it.

We definitely had plenty of room for our last shoot thanks to Brian and Jodie. We generally shoot on 9' seamless but have come to find that even that can be a bit restricting, especially if you have more than one person in the shot. Since we go to our customers instead of them going to us, every shoot is somehwhat different so it is a bit difficult to have a single setup and get perfect consistancy. However, we are working hard on it and hopefully the next shoot will be even better!

Every time I see your pictures Art, I am truly amazed! They keep getting better and better ... They show off the best of each of the costumes and your artistic talent as well. :)

The lighting makes a world of difference. Also, the right angles help a ton.

Art's technique has improved so much over the years that I think he could make anyone's suit look fantastic!

Art's technique has improved so much over the years that I think he could make anyone's suit look fantastic!

What is really nice is that as we have progressed we have had to try less and less to make a mediocre suit look great because the costumes just keep improving. If anyone doesn't believe me, go pull out the first Boba Fett Ref CD and look at the Fett costumes on there, pre-TDH. Even the most basic costumes today blow them out of the water. Not trying to downplay previous efforts, but it is just amazing to see the bar be raised again and again and people always manage to not only rise to it, but surpass it.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back