First Post, First Scratchbuild Helmet

Good job.What colors you used on helmet?

Hi,
Here's the list of the colors I used to paint my Helmet :

>TAMIYA colors (Airbrush (y))

Acrylic XF-62 Olive Drab
Acrylic XF-70 Dark Green
Acrylic XF-58 Olive Green
Acrylic XF-55 Deck Tan
Acrylic XF-7 Flat Red
Acrylic XF-3 Flat Yellow
Acrylic XF-1 Flat Black
Acrylic X-2 White
Acrylic X-31 Titanium Gold
Acrylic X-4 Blue

<HUMBROL colors (Hand brush :eek:)

191 CHROME SILVER METALLIC (Airbrush)
32 DARK GREY MATT
20 CRIMSON GLOSS
34 MATT WHITE MATT
69 YELLOW GLOSS
19 RED GLOSS

and REVELL Color Stop (Masking Liquid (y))

I think I didn't forget any of them ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is amazing. It's hard to believe that cardboard can be made to look that good. I hope my stuff ends up looking as good as yours.

That looks great, I so wish I had found WOF's templates before I started my helmet.

C'est fantastique :)

Thanks a lot!
I guess my very first advice before starting a helmet would be : Go get the WOF's templates !!!(y)
Without them, I wouldn't have been able to scratchbuild my helmet, no way ^^...

That is amazing! I love the subtle texture on the very back side of the helmet. Was that intentional or a result of the cardboard building material? Did you use any distressing technique to actually "scratch in" some of that detail or is it all just free handed?

That is amazing! I love the subtle texture on the very back side of the helmet. Was that intentional or a result of the cardboard building material? Did you use any distressing technique to actually "scratch in" some of that detail or is it all just free handed?

Thank you very much !!!
I also like that texture effect on the back, and you can see it on the cheeks and mandibles as well. It wasn't intentional at all :lol:, and it definitely has to do with the cardboard sheet I used.
The big scratches were done using masking liquid before airbrushing, and I did the smaller ones using a cutter blade and a nail. In both cases I used Count Dookie's fantastic templates. Scratching the paint is so fun ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic paint work, just spot on, just pumps me up when i see stuff like this. Just goes to show how amazing scratch builds can look, i would love for mine to come out this good.

I'm going to try and build a scratch helm using a sieve (thanks to your build).

What did you use to fill the dome? Any tips/techniques that you could suggest that I would find helpful?

All advice/instructions and tips are graciously welcomed!

Thanks,

Drexx Korso

I'm going to try and build a scratch helm using a sieve (thanks to your build).

What did you use to fill the dome? Any tips/techniques that you could suggest that I would find helpful?

All advice/instructions and tips are graciously welcomed!

Thanks,

Drexx Korso

Hi Drexx Korso !!!
So you want to try the "Sieve Method " haha ? Well this is a nice idea if you don't have a skateboard or baseball helmet...Just make sure you put bondo inside and outside, the two layers will stick together through all the little holes of your sieve. Then use some sandpaper, I recommend you do it with the palm of your hand, you will "feel" the shape better (and add some bondo in the gaps if necessary). As for the rest of the helmet, my only advice would be to stick to the WOF templates and use all of them . Also cut your visor at the very last moment because it will help your helmet keep its shape through the scratchbuilding process.
Are you going to use Sintra or cardboard ?
I hope I answered your question , but if you have others please feel free to ask ! I will be very happy to help you through the all process (building, painting etc... ) !
Maybe you should start your own thread and keep me updated and I will post comments .(y)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back