Scratch RotJ Fett - easy suit/vest??

Beefheart

New Hunter
I've got a plan laid out for the armor, pack and some other pieces here...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=26249

Its a scratch setup untill i can get a BobaMaker or WickedArmor setup later. I'd like it to be 501st material.

What I need is a way to get a budget vest and jumpsuit hopefully without too much sewing.

I've heard Dickies jumpsuits work well, but that still leaves problems as far as the short sleeve type deals over the regular jumpsuit arm sleeves. Maybe a same color t-shirt or something worn over the jumpsuit and underneath the vest?

Then the vest, I read something about a turtleneck with the sleeves cut off. Not a bad idea...

Thoughts?

As the 501st requirements have become more strict over the last few years, I doubt you'll be able to join with a turtleneck vest anymore. (As a former GML, I can tell you that I would not approve it).

There are quite a few seamstresses on the board, and also threads about creating your own custom pattern. For my own, it took me a few tries, but I was able to make my own 501st-worthy soft parts. All it takes is a little practice...and studying dozens of reference photos. :)

Good luck!

Whatever, who would even want to troop with a group of people who look down their noses at less than movie accurate costumes? Hate to sound uncool here but it seems that imposing quality restrictions obviously based on ability to pay for the best goes against the entire reason for doing this. Elitists. I respect the desire for a movie accurate costume but not everyone is at the same level or at the same ability to pay for the best. If that's how they want to play...show up as Spock! :cheers

Rup

Wow...just wow.

Nowhere in my post did I state that one had to pay to get the best. I think I make pretty good soft parts, and have been doing so for a number of years. But the reason is I took the time to learn the skill. My first vest cost maybe $20. And its quality would still be approved today.

As costuming as a hobby gained more popularity, organizations like the 501st were flooded with membership requests. Even then, not all costumes made the cut. There is a certain level of professionalism that is expected for membership. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to appear movie-quality. If not, we all might as well show up as bathrobe Jedis again.

The 501st has standards. If you can't meet them, then I doubt the 501st is for you, Rup. They're not going to lower their standards because a few people complain that they can't make the cut with a turtleneck vest.

If Spock is your thing, go for it. It still won't gain you membership. :)

Happy costuming!

Hey bro, I wasn't trying to be uncool here and it's obvious that you were offended. I guess that I've just been in this game long enough to know all types of enthusiasts and many have been so judgmental that it took all the fun out of it. I apologize if it sounded like a personal attack but I admit that I'm jaded against those who frown on anything less than screen quality. What do I know I'm probably 3 beers too many into the post than I should be for a reply. No worries mate, in the end it's all BS. :cheers

I did do a few searches but didn't find a whole lot useful that looked decent.

I kinda figured 501st would be that way.

So, either way, thanks for the input. Maybe I'll hold off the 501st thing untill I can get a good fett setup.

When I first embarked on this project I read a piece of advice that seemed common sense, which was... Get your costume wearable first. Then plan on the upgrades..... I guess that what comes in between those two is to find out what needs to be done for you to get 501st approval. I wouldn't sweat trying to get 501st approval from the get go. Upgrades are an inevitability. Do what you can with what you have and go from there. But hey! What do I know. :)

When I first embarked on this project I read a piece of advice that seemed common sense, which was... Get your costume wearable first. Then plan on the upgrades..... I guess that what comes in between those two is to find out what needs to be done for you to get 501st approval. I wouldn't sweat trying to get 501st approval from the get go. Upgrades are an inevitability. Do what you can with what you have and go from there. But hey! What do I know. :)

Yar. I figured might as well try if its not impossible. I do plan to upgrade eventually so like you said, no point sweatin it.

So what can I do just so I have a jumpsuit and vest that look at least half way decent?

If you don't want the hassle of fabricating one yourself as I'm doing. I'd go with one of LadySewforus's jumpsuits as I've heard nothing but good things about them. If on the other hand you are a masochist then I'd recomend getting two white cotton jump suits and combining them together to make the short sleeves and the thigh pouches and tool pouches, then dyeing it. I can't remember what Rit dye to use but I found a mix of two Dylon colours to use for mine which are "Elephant grey" and "Arabian blue".
As for the flak vest you can either go with the ready made option or get the patterns from this info packed site and DIY. :)

If you don't want the hassle of fabricating one yourself as I'm doing. I'd go with one of LadySewforus's jumpsuits as I've heard nothing but good things about them. If on the other hand you are a masochist then I'd recomend getting two white cotton jump suits and combining them together to make the short sleeves and the thigh pouches and tool pouches, then dyeing it. I can't remember what Rit dye to use but I found a mix of two Dylon colours to use for mine which are "Elephant grey" and "Arabian blue".
As for the flak vest you can either go with the ready made option or get the patterns from this info packed site and DIY. :)

I would be more than willing to make one up but I don't have a sewing machine. Sewing jumpsuits and vests by hand seems like a hefty task but I may be wrong.

I'll talk to LadySewforus and see what the deal is.

Thanks!

I would be more than willing to make one up but I don't have a sewing machine. Sewing jumpsuits and vests by hand seems like a hefty task but I may be wrong.

I'll talk to LadySewforus and see what the deal is.

Thanks!

Hey buddy, hand sewing isn't that bad. These are pics of my costume. The flightsuit in both pics is the same one, made from two boiler suits cut and restitched together. The flak vest in the version 1 pic is also scratch built and sewed by hand. Go for it buddy and try the scratch built approach :)

Sorry some of my pics won't upload, here is the link to by thread

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=26231

2.jpg

Whatever, who would even want to troop with a group of people who look down their noses at less than movie accurate costumes? Hate to sound uncool here but it seems that imposing quality restrictions obviously based on ability to pay for the best goes against the entire reason for doing this. Elitists. I respect the desire for a movie accurate costume but not everyone is at the same level or at the same ability to pay for the best. If that's how they want to play...show up as Spock! :cheers

Rup

Obviously plenty of people do... our membership grows daily and is over 4,000 members world wide.

They don't IMPOSE anything on anyone. If you want to join the club you need to meet their rules. Its that simple. If you don't like the rules, there are plenty of other fan groups out there that I'm sure would meet your needs more effectively.

If your on a budget just look at altering a jumpsuit ive seen it done for. There nothing wrong with scratch buliding it seems like you've done your home work. Now it time to learn those skillz take your time go slow. READ and reasearch as much as you can.

Hey buddy, hand sewing isn't that bad. These are pics of my costume. The flightsuit in both pics is the same one, made from two boiler suits cut and restitched together. The flak vest in the version 1 pic is also scratch built and sewed by hand. Go for it buddy and try the scratch built approach :)

Sorry some of my pics won't upload, here is the link to by thread

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=26231

Awesome, seein the thread gives me some encouragement, especially knowing that someone has hand stitched the setup.

I would just wait untill i can afford a BobaMaker, but I think a full scratch build would be seriously amazing.

I'm still compiling some facts and will probably actually start making it within a month or two.

If you really want to troop with the 501st I'd suggest doing a easier costume, such as a TIE Pilot first. That'll get you in so you can meet more people and get advice, and view completed (as if they're ever complete) Fetts to help you in your own build.

That's what I did, I started out as a Tie pilot, took me about a month to aquire all the parts. After I was accepted into the 501st I continued on with my Fett build, it's nearly complete (as if) so probably by the end of the summer I'll put in for my BH designation. Only took.. oh 5 years off and on to finish. :)

I'm not really sure why there's this recurring argument about 501st "elitism".

The whole *point* of the club is movie quality replicas. If you don't want to create a movie quality replica, don't join, no-one is forcing you! :)

If you want to join the group, there are rules to be followed. It's as simple as that. I don't get why it's such a big deal all the time.

Make the costumes you want, for the reasons you want. It's as simple as that :)

If you really want to troop with the 501st I'd suggest doing a easier costume, such as a TIE Pilot first. That'll get you in so you can meet more people and get advice, and view completed (as if they're ever complete) Fetts to help you in your own build.

That's what I did, I started out as a Tie pilot, took me about a month to aquire all the parts. After I was accepted into the 501st I continued on with my Fett build, it's nearly complete (as if) so probably by the end of the summer I'll put in for my BH designation. Only took.. oh 5 years off and on to finish. :)

Not such a bad idea now that I think about it, two different costumes instead of a scratch Fett and a BM Fett.

I was considering earlier a TIE Pilot but noticed that most of the helmets for sale don't have hoses and the box. I'll have to look around and see what people do for those. I was thinking about a Tusken as well considering I could use it for a A'Saharad Hett also.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back