my Mando helmet & armor

verd1138

New Hunter
Hey all. I'm starting this thread so as to make a tutorial/progress report of my custom Mando armor (or Beskar'gam)

But first a quick question, how do I add pics from my computer in my posts?:facepalm

you can also upload them from your pc! you have to go in the advanced tab then click the paperclip then use the browse to find where your pic is, then upload it. I hope that helps you out!

Thx everyone for the asistance,you were all very helpful.

Now back to the subject at hand.

THE HELMET:
This is the originale helmet.
th_MyHelmetBefore.gif

I then used the dremel to cut out the cheeks.
th_100_2050.gif

th_100_2051.gif

th_100_2048.gif

I then used the sanding bit to sand it down (just so ya know, the plastic will melt somewhat so be careful when you cut it)

th_100_2053.gif

th_100_2054.gif

th_100_2055.gif

I then used WoF's templates to make new cheeks out of Sintra, but before glueing them in I adjusted the visor (it was bigger on the bottom then the top!)

th_100_2056.gif

To do this I simply popped the visor off the pegs. (see photo)

th_100_2057.gif

And then I used the same cutting bit to make the holes wider, and then used a X-acto knife to make an Indent so it would fit back into place.
th_100_2064.gif

Then I glue the cheeks in place with Gorrilla Glue.
th_100_2065.gif

Now don't do like I did and tape then glue, you should glue THEN tape. Why? 'cause if you tape it first then you have to try and get the bottle inside the helmet and you won't have a good seal.

And her's the result!
th_100_2066.gif

More updates shortly.

A quick note I forgot last post, the cheekss will be bigger then ya need if you use WoF's templates.
But that's O.K. 'cause it'll give the glue something to hold onto.
I'm hopeing to redo all of this in a more professional manner once the Besker'gam is done.

now, on to the next step! :D

Now I don't have pics yet, but I then used the same bit yet again to cut out the slots in the back so as to get air flow.
Next I sanded it by hand with a 320 grit sanding foam block.
th_100_2096.gif

Then I painted it a mettalic silver from Krylon.

th_100_2070.gif

th_100_2069.gif

Use nice wide even strokes, at a distance of apx.12" I went ahead and used the hole can, so as to get a lot of coats so it won't come off.

Now it was quite rough after that, so I got out he 320 again and sanded it down untill it was smooth, now take care not to takoff the paint!

Now for my helmet, I'm doing colors that they dont make in spray paint, so I went to my local HobbyTown USA and bought an airbrush and the colors I wanted.
th_100_2093.gif

th_100_2094.gif

th_100_2095.gif

Now those are: Chrome yellow,and Panzer..uh..I hope I'm spelling this right, Panzer schwarzgrau...or something like that.

Use the same method as before, big, far-away strokes.

th_100_2097.gif

Now I can't tell you how many coats to do as of this post 'cause I haven't finished painting that part yet, just try to make an even paint job.

More updates soon.

(and here's what it's going to look like)
th_100_1781.gif

I know a lot of people complain about pics being to big...but those are really too small I cant make any thing out other than your doing something to your Jango helmet. if you can just double those sizes that should be a lot better! thanks!!

I once saw some guys here who did custom shin plates, but I can't find them now, could somone help me?
P.S. will post pics soon, got alot done, and got to go to clone wars in costume!

Sorry for the small pics, how do I make them bigger in the forum?

Try opening the pictures you have recently posted here in the "paint"(assuming you have Windows) program, if they are similar in size, try going over to the "image" tab, then down to "stretch/skew" option this will allow you to enlarge or reduce the pic size, make sure to make the vertical and horizontal the same % number or you might get a short fat version of you picture, and only mess with the stretch option. My camera takes massive pictures, thus forcing me to reduce them to around 25% but I'm not sure what you should use, then when done with getting them to the size you like, click "save as" and make sure to save them as a .jpg or small file type, so they are not around 2-3megs.

Hope this helps.

thx, I'll try that.
ok first I'm going to just try posting some pics then I'll resize if need be.
We were able to get this much done and go to the Clone wars premier!(y)

This is us just before going to Clone Wars.8)
918100-R1-10-14A.gif

Left to right: Jas'ika, Caz Roumez, and Hesoj Yarwar (me)

A battle pose!
918100-R1-09-15A.gif

At the movies!
918100-R1-08-16A.gif

And a good pic of Jas'ika's battle scars while we converse

918100-R1-06-18A.gif

Sorry for not making this one smaller, but I really wanted you to see the whole scene! the reactions were just priceless!

Invading the stripmall!
918100-R1-04-20A.gif

It was so much FUN! I've never had so many people take pics of me! we posed for ATLEAST 10-12 photos! my how the heads were turning at Five Guys! I've also never had girls come up and hug me for no apperant reason, other then "you're just so cool":confused They huged me but not my friends, not sure why, but Caz siad " you liked that didn't you" frankly, I was too stuned to like or dislike.:wacko

Anyway:facepalm

Hopefully I'll be able to get the vid my Mom and I made up so you can see more of the process of the build!:D

Not a bad start man, looks like you just need some armor below the waist and you'll be good to go!

The tall one (Which may be you) needs to be a heavy mando. Your the right height for it.

NovallTalon, on my forums?:eek: WOW(y)
Seriously though, thanks for the compliments.
And yes,I am the skinny one, the big one in blue's mando name is Caz Roumez. unless you mean the green one, that's Jas'ika (he may change his name later, but untill he does...)
What does a heavy Mando look like? I don't recall haveing seen one before
"twiggy?" well, maybe it's a briar twig. :D (to tell the truth most people I know call me a twig, so you can call me "twiggy" if you like :D)
I was wondering if ethier of you (or anyone else for that matter) know an in-expensive and easy way of getting knee plates? I tried making them out of Sintra like the rest of the armor, but I just couldn't get the shape right.:( Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice sets of armour, don't forget the cod pieces as well as the knees. I'm not sure if WOF does knee templates - I use my own so haven't checked but would be surprised if he didn't - but if he does simply use them, cut out and heat. I tend to make mine and those I make for others a little wider then normal to allow the wearer to kneel down without the threat of the knee snapping at the sides.
Given you don't have thigh pouches like Boba wears I'd also consider adding thigh and shin plates with boots spats as well for that fully armoured look. I'd also suggest darkening the visors of your helmets or replacing them with thicker, darker visors. That way no-one will be able to see who you are under the helmets.

Your vod Caz Roumez might want to add a rope belt over the bottom of the vest. That'd get rid of the flair his vest has at the bottom.

Nice work so far.

Thanks! yeah we didn't have time for leg armor sadly, but I'm planing on having atleast as many armor plates as Jango does.
I was thinking that I could take some window tint and put that on the inside of the visor so I don't have to cut it out again.
Yeah a rope belt or somthing would help, and we would already have done that, but we didn't have time.
Thanks for your comments any other ideas would be welcome, I'm always ready to learn!
Btw, any ideas on cod peices? we're not sure how to do that :rolls eyes:

Again, the easiest route to go for things like the cod piece, thigh and shin plates, boots spats and anything else you need is to use an existing template such as those by WOF. Then all you need to do is print them out, trace them onto sintra, cut them, heat as required and paint. Easy as shooting a Jedi off of a moving Speeder...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back