My plan for a scratch Fett...

Beefheart

New Hunter
Before I commit to any materials for a scratch build i wanted to get some overall input and reviews of my plan. I want to do a RotJ Fett. For my first setup, as long as this isn't a futile endevor (I'd like it to be 501st material if possible with scratch stuff) I want to avoid buying completed stuff but I would like to still retain some accuracy. Painting doesn't worry me, neither does the actual fabrication. I do plan to upgrade to a decent set of armor (probably from BobaMaker) in time when money allows.

I plan to start with some WoF templates which I've already downloaded.
Then do AFettFulloDollars Trash Can armor. I can't seem to find anyone selling molds (I can find anyway) for Sintra body armor and shaping by hand seems a bit too unreasonable so trash can Fett seems to be the way for the budget minded.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=6290

This can cover all the armor pieces save the knees which I can't seem to find a decent scratch build for but with WoF temps I could splurge for some sintra and go crazy. Maybe do something like what Ronin677 did.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13833&highlight=scratch+knee

Helmet, I'd like to do something like what Digifett did here...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20752

Does anyone have any suggestions on integrating possibly a rangefinder LED circuit in a scratch helm or is that even worth my time?

Boots I will probably do similar to Silver Fett's here...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=26247

Gloves will involve some simple sewing which I think I can manage.

I slow down at this point because I can't seem to find an easy way to cheat with the jumpsuit and flak vest, atleast without a lot of stitching. I also can't seem to find too much information on good scratch builds for the gaultlets. I'm thinking plastic sheets and some tedious bit by bit modeling might be the only answer.

Jet Pack and the EE-3 I'll do after I get all this done, same with the detail bits like the tools, scalps, and cape.

To pick up on your point of shaping sintra and it being unreasonable. I have to say that it really isn't too hard. I used 2mm sintra and I had no bother shaping it with a hair dryer. Plus I managed to do it without making any mistakes. Not trying to blow my own trumpet, just wanting to point out that it can be done without wasting precious plastic.

As for decent scratch build plans for your gauntlets. Once again you can rely on WOF's templates, and using sintra, they really do come out looking peachy. However in doing this it did take a bit of head scratching to work out how the plans would come together in producing a pair of gauntlets (sorry Alan). Unless it was me being a bit of a mong the day I started to do this.

As for the rest of your plans and questions, I'll leave it for someone else here to chime in. Good luck. And most important of all.....Have fun doing it, or it becomes nothing but a pain in the arse. :)

To pick up on your point of shaping sintra and it being unreasonable. I have to say that it really isn't too hard. I used 2mm sintra and I had no bother shaping it with a hair dryer. Plus I managed to do it without making any mistakes. Not trying to blow my own trumpet, just wanting to point out that it can be done without wasting precious plastic.

As for decent scratch build plans for your gauntlets. Once again you can rely on WOF's templates, and using sintra, they really do come out looking peachy. However in doing this it did take a bit of head scratching to work out how the plans would come together in producing a pair of gauntlets (sorry Alan). Unless it was me being a bit of a mong the day I started to do this.

As for the rest of your plans and questions, I'll leave it for someone else here to chime in. Good luck. And most important of all.....Have fun doing it, or it becomes nothing but a pain in the arse. :)

Hmm that's interesting... With my Sintra browsing I've found a bit of a draw between people who free form Fett armor and those who use molds. I'd just hate to go through the trouble of using Sintra if I can't get it perfect. Not to mention complete symmetry would be tough as well.

How would you go about making the gauntlets from Sintra? The detail and stuff would be pretty tough I'd think trying to mold/bend it out, unless maybe you layer it. To be honest, the gauntlets are the only intimidating piece to the whole suit, at least to this point. I did, however, doing even more digging around, found this thread -

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25892&highlight=building+gauntlets

But I've never done any casting before so i dunno how i feel about that. I suppose I can learn if it's worth the time.

Either way, I do have WoF templates for everything (that he has available).

Last edited by a moderator:
i just finished up my left gauntlet using the templates:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25892

i haven't started the right yet, but the technique would be the same. i used for sale signs and hot glue, with bondo seams. i was making molds of mine to copy, but the original would have worked fine on its own.

you could probably pick up a resin calc pad cheaply, since scratch building that would stink.

i just finished up my left gauntlet using the templates:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25892

i haven't started the right yet, but the technique would be the same. i used for sale signs and hot glue, with bondo seams. i was making molds of mine to copy, but the original would have worked fine on its own.

you could probably pick up a resin calc pad cheaply, since scratch building that would stink.

Hah, I JUST edited my last post to add your thread i just found.

Fantastic idea. So plastic sheets, hot glue, and bondo? Sounds like a plan.

Curious - I don't know a whole lot about the casting process... So you built the gauntlet, then made a mold on the outside of it to cast in? Expensive process? Maybe I should look into this.

Hah, I JUST edited my last post to add your thread i just found.

Fantastic idea. So plastic sheets, hot glue, and bondo? Sounds like a plan.

Curious - I don't know a whole lot about the casting process... So you built the gauntlet, then made a mold on the outside of it to cast in? Expensive process? Maybe I should look into this.

silicone is spendy, so it adds up. there's a HUGE demand for gauntlets, so if you make nice ones and mold them, you can always get your $$ back.

but yeah, that's the basic idea. you make your original, build walls around it (see cruzer's thread in the jango section about molding the MR westars), then pour the silicone in.

once the silicone is cured, you can brush in resin/fiberglass/whatever.

silicone is spendy, so it adds up. there's a HUGE demand for gauntlets, so if you make nice ones and mold them, you can always get your $$ back.

but yeah, that's the basic idea. you make your original, build walls around it (see cruzer's thread in the jango section about molding the MR westars), then pour the silicone in.

once the silicone is cured, you can brush in resin/fiberglass/whatever.

I checked out that thread, as well as found a link to this video posted by Novalltalon in another thread that was also pretty helpful.

Although, I'm still slightly confused... After he puts all the layers of silicone on(the Rebound 25) he uses thickener to do the ridges (the keys), then moves to a shell mold of Plasti-Paste applied right to the silicone layers. So I take it he uses that master mold for the first layer at least of the Smoothcast 300 plastic to keep the silicone's rigidity. So how many layers of the plastic do you usually use for things and is the Plasti-Paste necessary for smaller things like gauntlets? It would seem like you wouldn't need a whole lot of support for something that isn't big with five layers of rubber.

I'm amazed there isn't a stickied thread about the molding process as much as folks seem to do it here.

Also, found a thread by Antman with his amazing scratchbuilt helmet -

First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no reason, what so ever, why you can't scratch build your own suit and have it 501st quality.

I made all of the armor parts for my Jango myself out of sheet styrene ( plastic ), and I used the WoF templates. Even my jet pack was made using WoF templates, and I'm now a full member of the 501st.

Fullsuitfront.jpg

finishedjet%20pack.gif

I'm even installing the leds in my RF topper soon, and I'm working on the remote servo set up for the stalk too. So I say go for it!! ;)

on the molding note... how many layers you need depends on the material you're working with and how you want it to come out (thick and rigid, thin and flexible)

if you use the brush on silicone, you want a jacket. it's not solid enough to hold its shape on its own.

if you use a box mold, you don't need a jacket, but you use a LOT more silicone.

you are totally correct that there should be something about molding and casting on here :)

Wow Jango72, if i didn't know any better I'd think the jet pack was cast... One of the best scratch packs I've seen so far. What exactly did you use to make it? Most of the scratch packs I seem to see are stuff like soda cans and cardboard and that looks like neither... Impressive setup. That makes me feel a bit better about a scratch build. Did you buy the jumpsuit and flakvest or sew them yourself?

And thanks again tk, once I get some more input on the other bits I'll probably start gathering mats for the thing. Hopefully sometime before I get the budget to mold we'll have a stickie with all the good info up there.

You should find all the answers to your questions on my jet pack in this thread - Jango72s jet pack build

As for my jumpsuit, I bought it off of one of the members here who just so happens to live localy to me... I kinda lucked into it really. The vest I had made for me by a lady I work with. She did some top notch work on it and even gave me the patterns in case I wanted to make a new one later on.

You should find all the answers to your questions on my jet pack in this thread - Jango72s jet pack build

As for my jumpsuit, I bought it off of one of the members here who just so happens to live localy to me... I kinda lucked into it really. The vest I had made for me by a lady I work with. She did some top notch work on it and even gave me the patterns in case I wanted to make a new one later on.

Cardboard, wow. I'm still shocked at how amazing that pack looks. I'm going to try your build for sure. Even the nozzles look good and they seem to be the constant spot of innacuracy on scratch builds.

I still can't seem to find a way to cheat with the jumpsuit. Maybe I ought to just bite the bullet and buy the suit/vest.

Bear in mind that my jet pack isn't all cardboard. The main structure is made of 1/8" thick hardboard ( basically a type of MDF, which is wood ).

But there is a lot of cardboard used. The key is to seal the cardboard once you're finished to keep moisture out. That then leaves you with a very light weight yet sturdy pack. ;)

Bear in mind that my jet pack isn't all cardboard. The main structure is made of 1/8" thick hardboard ( basically a type of MDF, which is wood ).

But there is a lot of cardboard used. The key is to seal the cardboard once you're finished to keep moisture out. That then leaves you with a very light weight yet sturdy pack. ;)

I checked out your thread again and found where you talk about it on the last post.

Is this the right stuff I'm thinking?

http://doitbest.com/Hardboard+Panels--model-TS125-doitbest-sku-112522.dib

Pretty rigid material, what did you use to cut it? A coping saw or some other hand saw? Doesn't look like something a hobby knife could cut if it's what i'm thinkin it is. How did you do the main part of the body, the big rounded area?

That looks like the right stuff. I purchased mine at Home Depot, they've got it in 2'x2', 2'x4' and 4'x8' sheets. The price is good too as a little bit goes a long way. ;)

For cutting it, I used a scroll saw. It's one of the better purchases I've made, along with my dremel tool.

That looks like the right stuff. I purchased mine at Home Depot, they've got it in 2'x2', 2'x4' and 4'x8' sheets. The price is good too as a little bit goes a long way. ;)

For cutting it, I used a scroll saw. It's one of the better purchases I've made, along with my dremel tool.

If I do the JP in the near future I'll probably have to go with a hand saw but no biggie, just a bit slower.

A few more things to work out and I'll have to get started soon, thanks for the input.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back