Is this 501st grade?

Boba Swede

Active Hunter
Hi there.. I've just taken a few shots of me in my Boba Fett armour (SE style ) and i'd like to get some feedback. I'm hoping to get this approved before a really, REALLY big event taking place in sweden in just two weeks. All and any feedback is welcome.
PICT05112.jpg

PICT0516.jpg

PICT05212.jpg

PICT05262.jpg

th_PICT0527.jpg

But the biggest question that i need answeared is: Is this 501st approvable.. pending better gloves and shin tools that is... ?? (Both of which are to be shipped from BM this week, knock on wood)

looks great to me!!! the pics are kinda low-rez, but I see no problem. shin tools and gloves are pretty minor. if you told them they were on order I cant see why they wouldn't approve you now. awesome job by the way!! so whats the final cost of your pride and joy?

i'm not totally sure, but i think the lack of shin tools would be a problem. everything you have looks awesome, but i think that would make the suit "incomplete".

A rough estimate 600-800 USD for the whole thing... this is because of two major factors;
1. I chose sanity above accuracy...
2. I did as much as i could myself, including painting and some sewing. eg, vest, spats, ammo belt. everything has been painted by me. except for the shoulderbells. but i have a second set which i've painted.

the painting was done with waying off the first factor (sanity above accuracy) but still able to capture the "feel" and "spirit" of Boba fett. But for a total amature and beginner i'm pretty darn proud of the work i've done.

Looks great to me. If you don't get approved because you don't have shin tools you're better off not being approved. Nobody ever notices shin tools. Again, suit looks great and good luck!

If you don't get approved because you don't have shin tools you're better off not being approved.

Sorry J5, I don't understand this statement and would have to disagree ;)

If you don't get approved for not having them then get them, or make them. Shin tools are cheap ($20 to $30) and would be very good to have, though you may still get approved without them. I have made sets out of craft foam and pencil erasers that also look good.

Gloves are harder, but can be made cheaply from parade gloves.

Suit looks pretty good to me, but a little hard to tell from those shots.

Now dirty up those spats, and good luck with the approval. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the photos, but is the left shoulder bell mounted low?

Looks good to me......and how you did it for that price......congrats man.

HOLLY cow 500-800 USD!... thats a freaking steal you could sell ur suit for 1500 and make money... your suit looks good to me. But i would be nice to see some higher res shots. As for shins and gloves, i think u need those i herd there clamping down on the quality and completion. but i could be wrong.

great work your suit looks wicked you should be proud.

Looks good to me man! :D I've seen a lot of Fetts in the 501st that are really not accurate... it's kind of surprising actually... so if you don't have shin tools, I'd be surprised to see what they say. But like these guys said you could probably make some cheap ones to troop in and tell em BM has gloves and tools on the way for you. Your costume looks great and thats an amazing price!!! my goodness! Do you think you could get higher res pics? I really wanna see how your costume turned out... for that price man... wow, I may be coming to you for some help haha. I have some friends in Oslo Norway and they go to Sweden a lot :D I've always wanted to go there! Anyway, good luck on the approval!

El1te

I am the GML of the Alpine Garrison and in my opinion your boba looks Great.

Now if you were in my garrison I would like to see you in person and also I would want some Higher res shots of the costume from you with your new gloves and shin tools.

Great job on building the costume and I hope you are approved soon.

-Willy-

i'm not totally sure, but i think the lack of shin tools would be a problem. everything you have looks awesome, but i think that would make the suit "incomplete".

My only concern is if the "Thong" is going to be a deal breaker or not..

please god.. let it not be so.... everything else i can handle.. just no the thong..

Sorry J5, I don't understand this statement and would have to disagree ;)

If you don't get approved for not having them then get them, or make them. Shin tools are cheap ($20 to $30) and would be very good to have, though you may still get approved without them. I have made sets out of craft foam and pencil erasers that also look good.

Well let me clarify. I don't see the point in being in some group that wouldn't let you in because you didn't have something as unimportant as shin tools. Not many fans are going to sit there and notice those. I mean look at FX trooper kits. They're not accurate, general public doesn't care. LFL uses fx troopers for all kinds of stuff and nobody cares. So why would you want to be in a group that wouldn't let you in because you didn't have shin tools?

Do you understand me now?

I agree with jawafive! The 501st is about so much more than showing off your costume. The amount of good the 501st does in the community, and the joy it brings to children and adults alike seems pointless to deny someone the chance to help when they are missing something that small when you tell them you have more accurate ones coming. Katie would have never wanted it that way.

Simple fact is there are parts to every costume that are required. If Swede wants 501st approved then yes he needs shin tools. Yes many fans would never notice. Very true. But rules are rules, we have our standards for a reason. Thats what makes the 501st the best at what it does.
Swede your Fett is awesome. Maybe see if you can get the helmet to sit alittle lower, and the chest armor looks cramped a bit, maybe its a bit too big or just needs adjusted a bit. Minor tweaks is all you need. For the money you spent you did one heck of a job.
And yes get that darn thong, if I gotta wear it so do you..........LOL

I don't see the point in being in some group that wouldn't let you in because you didn't have something as unimportant as shin tools.

That's your call to make... others disagree.

One person might say it's OK to skip the shin tools. Then someone else says no-one will notice that you don't have a cape. Then someone else might try again for the "do I really need a jet pack"... etc...

Making a costume isn't about joining a club, it's about making yourself happy. If making yourself happy includes said club, then you're making a choice to follow their rules.

Oh, and on the FX note...

Personally I look forward to the day that the FX trooper helmet is no longer approved. There's a lot of push for that, and a lot of resistance of course.

@ Coyote850
Thanks for the input.. Some people are born with big heads... i'm not one of those. but i do however, have a really long neck. And although i could lower the helmet half an inch or so that would mean removing all the padding. Which i'd rather not do at this point. But i'll take it into consideration my my next helmet.

as for the chest.. They don't look so big as individual peices but i guess when you put it all together i guess that the whole is greater than the sum. I'll make version 2 smaller and see how that works out.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back