MR Westar mold experiment

Cruzer

Well-Known Hunter
Well, it was about time I learned to make my own 2-piece molds since some of my Jango gaunlet attachment molds are getting a little rough. Here's something I've been thinking of molding for a while. The molds are being constructed specifically to see if a blaster can be cast from rubber like material similar to the Hyperfirm blasters.(y)

cheers,
Cruzer

DSC08580.JPG

This should be very awesome, I'd probably love to be in a run of these if you do do a run! :D :p

Hey, you wouldn't mind telling a newbie at molding on how and where to start molding would ya?

Anyways, this is going to be an interesting project to follow!

Psst, please check the gauntlet hose thread.

Thanks Cruz!

are you planning to just pour in silicone?

if so from looking at your boxes, particularly on the handle, you'll waste a LOT of silicone that way, as opposed to having the shell tighter around the object (i.e. not square)

attachment%7E0.jpg

something like that shape would save you quite a bit of rubber.

or to REALLY save... use a brush on silicone and then plaster / fiberglass jacket.

that being said, i do exactly what you're doing most of the time. i just figured i'd throw it out there in the interest of information sharing ;)

Thanks. I like box molds, but you're right if I could angle a wall in there that'd save me a little of the silicone I just spent $300 on.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I like box molds, but you're right if I could angle a wall in there that'd save me a little of the silicone I just spent $300 on.:eek:

yeah, if you cut a piece of wood and put it at a roughly 45 angle in the corner, i bet that would save you a pint of silicone.

i'm with you though. the simplicity of pour and wait is worth the extra $$ on the rubber to me. i used nearly a gallon on my gauntlet mold!

Cool. Interested to see your progress. I have been using Rebound 25 as a brush on with fiberglass jackets, but I would prefer a solid box too.

Yeah, I will definitely make rubber blasters available here if this project is successful. I wouldn't want to spend all my time and money on a mold like this and then keep it's benefits to myself when there is such a need here. For a while now I've felt TDH needed "inside" suppliers of Westars with the limited availability and inflated prices of MRs, and after owning a set of what I thought were low quality resin copies.

Westarsmith is going to be releasing some very very nice aluminum blasters, and I'm hoping BobaFettSlave_1 will go ahead with his plans to produce some molds of the MRs as well. It'd be nice to have different options (i.e. material, cost, etc.) of blaster choice.

I'm no expert in mold making, so I'm not really the right person to write up a tutorial on two part mold making. However, if I can help along the way by sharing pics, and my mistakes and/or successes via this thread, then all the better for the community! (y)

definitley would like a set of these if they work out for you. What's the base color for the foam/rubber. I think the blasters would rub some while being put in/out of the holsters, leaving dull or dark spots Maybe paint would be a better option instead of R & B for the barrels. You guys had any ideas on how to get the silver color and still be long lasting? Great job BTW.

The silicone should be here Tues. or Wed. and then I'll pour the first parts. I'm pusing this project so I can get your blaster back to you in time to allow you to repaint your handles before SDCC.

I'm going to produce the first blaster in black, and I'm guessing a couple of SEMS silver toned paints are going to work really well on something like this because it works so well on the Hyperfirm blasters. Then maybe throw in the hints of brass for those that need the muzzle tip and pins the accurate color as well. A semi-gloss might help seal everything, but I say the more weathering the better. I'm guessing a fresh paint job every year or other year depending on how rough they are handled/trooped in.(y)

The idea of Westars you can troop roughly in and even throw around is what interests me the most. I hated having to baby my MRs and worry about droping or dinging them. That's why I'm so excited about the idea of stunt Westars!

OH freakin A, Cruzer gets all my money next month. Shins, new backplate (if you will still pull me one LOL) knees, and now blasters. Yea, you have some dough coming bro, I cant thank you enough for taking on these projects!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back