About gauntlets with hinges?

Cruzer

Well-Known Hunter
Hi guys, I have a question. Are the majority of members opposed to Boba gauntlets that use an exposed hinge on the inside forearm area due to lack of accuracy? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to gauge whether I should move forward with a Boba version of my gauntlet sculpts. Last week a couple of friends converted a pair of my Jango shells to ESB Bobas and they surprisingly turned out very very nice. So I was just wondering what the general consensus was.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cruzer

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I kind of like the hinge better than the versions without it. I realize it's not screen accurate, but I believe it adds a touch of real life to it.

If it works, looks good and is practical, then yes its worth it.. ive got hinges on my Ruffkintoy Styrene ones...

When i go Fibreglass... when i have the money and Daz has them finished and ready to make, ill probably go tons of rare earth magnets... :p but thats just me :D

i use the hinge. this is a case where i take an accuracy hit for practicality. it's less stress on the shells, easier to put on, and easier to take off.

so for me, hinge++

and alcfalath - i'd be reaaaaaallllly careful with that many magnets on your arm. i know i keep my wallet on me when i troop. i think that enough magnets to keep the gauntlet secure would also be enough to ruin credit cards!

I'm actually surprised with how many folks use the hinges considering how much time everyone spends on the accuracy of all their other parts. That's why I've never used the hinges despite how easy to use and practical they are.

Nothing against anyone that uses them...just an observation.

I'm actually surprised with how many folks use the hinges considering how much time everyone spends on the accuracy of all their other parts. That's why I've never used the hinges despite how easy to use and practical they are.

i used to repaint my gauntlets every 3rd troop or so. not to mention the cracks in the plastic. i'll take a hit on the accuracy to avoid that. i figure folks won't think anything is amiss when they see a hinge, but if there are large chunks of white plastic showing through, that kills the look.

and if you're using fiberglass bottoms, they aren't going to flex all that well...

See, I've never had fiberglass ones so I never really had too much issue with them not flexing. I HAVE had the problem with cracking though. Not every third troop but enough that it's annoying to the point of wanting fiberglass ones.

See, I've never had fiberglass ones so I never really had too much issue with them not flexing. I HAVE had the problem with cracking though. Not every third troop but enough that it's annoying to the point of wanting fiberglass ones.

the lower shells on my MoWs don't really flex at all. i'm pretty sure they'd crack if they weren't hinged.

the ones i'm making won't flex much / at all either, so if you end up with a set of those, hinged it will be.

though i'm thinking about getting with greg to vac some lower shells for me :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back