MasterReplicas copys?

BobaFettSlave1

Active Hunter
im thinking of getting a set of MRs now that i lost another webley and i was wondring if it would be frowned upon by making copys. i dont know if ide makem 100% resin, machined with resin grips or 100% aluminium. havent got to that point yet. ill probobly see if some of the members around me can help with this project if its a go. im only curious if #1 this is a wize idea. theres alot of gray here #2 if theres interest.
so please let me know what you guys think. im gunna grab a set anyway seeing as i need a set for my jango project.

well im getting alot of 50/50 here. logic dictates if one would just have a machinist make copys itd be ok cause they were made from specs given from lucasfilm correct? imean its not like MR made these from scratch
regardless im only going to do this if i get the forums OK. last thing i need is to be labeled a recaster when im just trying to help because we dont have any westar makers

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the same question a while ago. Here is the link with the respones. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=22968 . In my opinion MRs are becoming increasingly difficult and very very expensive to get a hold of, and the members here need a good and inexpensive resin alternative.

Just to let you know, I did recently have a fellow member send me one of his MRs too look at for the possibility of making a couple of 2-piece molds from. However, please don't let that stall your pursuit of this project, as I don't know exactly how far and fast I'll be able to go with mine. I really do mean that. I'm more fascinated in the challenges associated with fabricating the molds than wanting to make copies.(y)

everybody gets their basis for a project from someone....religion- one established religion comes out, then shortly after another branch is formed and then called its own. Microsoft took Apples O.S. then a few minor changes Bam.... Windows.. so I cant see whats wrong with taking a M.R. as a basis put a few of your touches to it (either minor or major) then wall-la!! BobaFettSlave_1 V1.0 what I'm trying to say is we all get are basic Ideas from someone else. Its not like the Westars, armor, helmets, etc never existed before. we all basicly recasted it from ILM.

The basic way Re-casting works is if 'Item A' (be it a blaster or helmet or whatever) is that produced by a person/artist/company who has a current licence, or is a current manufacturer of said product. Now if a person purchases that product and makes a copy/copies to distribute themselves, without permission from the original artist/person/company, then that is Re-casting.. Also re-casting can be also labelled to someone who has made a copy of the original without altering it in any way, permission or not.

However, if the Original Artist/Person/Company loses the licence to make that product, or announces that the product will not be made anymore and is unavailable in stock permanantly, then that opens up a loophole into a Grey Area between Re-Casting and Not Re-casting...

The issue of Casting off of MR items have come up a few times, and im sure that it will many more.... Personally they have publically announced that no more Star Wars items will be made... so in all fairness if a fan or someone takes up the mantle to create these items at very near to, if not, cost price then I wouldnt consider that as Re-casting, nor slap that label on them...

Thats my 2 cents...

Here's a tear-down pic for you.

MR Westar breakdown.jpg

:wacko:wacko:wacko hope that goes back together :lol: How did you get to the little allen head inside the tube? Cut a allen wrench? Let me know how those things come apart, I'd like to re-do the handles.

:lol:Of course! I only had to break them in three different areas! j/k
Disassembling them was a piece of cake. They'll go back together perfectly...I promise.

Thanks for lending them to me. (y)

Glad to help, BobaFettSlave_1!

:wacko:wacko:wacko hope that goes back together :lol: How did you get to the little allen head inside the tube? Cut a allen wrench? Let me know how those things come apart, I'd like to re-do the handles.
I had to insert something into the trigger area that wouldn't fall out and then gently tap down on it to pull out the trigger piece and reveal the two allen bolts attaching the handle to the barrel.

Is that a good way to remove the orange barrel plug?
It looks like the orange piece is just an aluminum plug that might be able to be tapped out from the inside.

DSC08562.JPG

DSC08560.JPG

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back