Propane tank warning

Scoutleader

Active Hunter
I came across this information at a recent propane tank safety training for outdoor cooking and thought it is important enough to share here.Especially with all of the BBQing and outdoor cooking over the summer.
Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.
According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one. The information was researched, and you should check out the following website for more details. They also have pictures.
http://www.npga. org/i4a/pages/ index.cfm? pageid=529
Have a safe summer

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid the whole thing alltogether and get your propane tank refilled at a gas station that sells it out of a fill station. If you need a second tank or need to replace yours or get parts I would suggest AmeriGas as they are the worlds largest and have everything!

I used to be a tech for a mom and pop propane company here in town teehee.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back