work in progress: WoF gauntlets

Brian, I was curious and still learning about molding, resin, etc. Have you created the gauntlets using the for sale sign and then applied Bondo over that and then sanded? Do you use something on the inside to strengthen it?

Brian, I was curious and still learning about molding, resin, etc. Have you created the gauntlets using the for sale sign and then applied Bondo over that and then sanded? Do you use something on the inside to strengthen it?

that's basically it yeah.. the plastic is glued together on the inside with hot glue, then filler is used on the outside (i used water based wood putty and bondo). there's a wood frame on the inside that i built out of hot glue and dowels to make it stronger while i was handling it.

i've never intended for the originals to be worn, so i wasn't worried about durability, just looks. they only have to survive the silicone to do their jobs :)

Thanks for the info, I am getting pieces here and there and it is finally coming together and I have a clearer picture of how to do it, thanks to all!!

hah... the right gauntlet has been sculpted for months, but i've gotten all distracted by the clone project. i'm hoping to mold it up in a week or two.

the hinges are piano hinges from any hardware store. i got a pile from a friend, but home depot sells them.

Thanks for posting your build... I've watched your work on your clone helmet for some time. Very impressive stuff!

These look great stormtrooperguy! Just started working on a pair of these myself using Skip's pepakura files, just about to go and put the first coat of resin on them, hope they turn out half as good as yours did! lol :D Here are mine so far: http://joesprops.blogspot.com/2009/04/boba-fett-gauntlets.html If anyone has any suggestions please by all means let me know. :D

CIMG1975.JPG

Amazing,simply amazing.

I'm just now slowly venturing into 100% scratch building,I'm gonna work on a Fett bucket first,then armor,and I believe I will end with some nice Fett gauntlets.I doubt they will turn out anywhere as nice as yours but one can only hope right?

I havent been here in ages, but this threads got me off my butt and templates are on styrene and being cut as we speak,
well not whilst Im typing :)

I have a question if i may ask, the curve templates, Im taking a guess that the inner part of the template is for the smaller end and the outer curve is for the larger end of the upp and lower shells with those templates respectivley?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back