Michell Engineering

Wes

Active Hunter
Since we can finally discuss all these great items, I would like to say something regarding one of the manufacturers. Michell Eng is still in business and I have been in contact with them for some time now. I ask that you PLEASE do not bug these people. They have a business to run and don't have the time to field questions or requests.

If you have any questions regarding Michell parts, post them here and I will answer to the best of my ability. I can also tell you that there are no more remaining "found part" pieces at their location. Your on your own to locate them. Happy Hunting!

Toe spike\Knee dart
Rocketpack adjustment knob
Gaunlet darts

to name a few

I guess what I mean is...were they just commissioned parts...or are the say 'knee darts' actually a seat spacer for a shaft of some kind.:lol:

honestly never heard of this before

This is amazing information that's coming in. Thank you guys for sharing!:cheers I think this thread should be stickied somewhere for the future generation of Fetts to see so they won't go bugging the folks at Michell Engineering.

That's great that this information was made available.

My question is do they still make Toe spikes\Knee darts
Rocketpack adjustment knobs, & Gaunlet darts?

Or would they be willing to do a run of them for the TDH?

"I guess what I mean is...were they just commissioned parts...or are the say 'knee darts' actually a seat spacer for a shaft of some kind.:lol: "

My uninformed guess is that "they" harvested the kness darts and other parts from products made by Michell Engineering.But I this only a guess nothing to back it up.

"My question is do they still make Toe spikes\Knee darts
Rocketpack adjustment knobs, & Gaunlet darts? "
Within the body of post #1 we are asked not to bother Michell Enginering for they do not ....."have time to field questions or requests"...which I guess(again) would be a ....no :(

Yes, parts were "harvested" (I like that term) from existing products. Unfortunately Michell's stock of those parts has been exhausted. The nice thing is that these parts are al metal and could be very easily replicated.

It would take 5 swing arms to get enough parts for one suit. The cost of that would be through the roof! Finding these parts will give machinists who can make these better reference for more accurate parts.

hm, no disrespect, but "they have a business" to run? well if they are in the business producing and selling those turntables. i don't see how asking them to supply interested customers with their products would cause any grief. and if they indeed PRODUCED those turntable arms themselves, in house, i don't see why they would not start a run. unless they destroyed all their tools and measurments.
what's a guy to do that owns a turntable and needs a replacement arm nowadays? not contact the manufacturer? buy a cd player?

i can see how a lot of the same inquiries could hold them up, but why not have one guy contact them and ask if they can do a run of these parts? i'm sure there is enough interest out there to get a reasonable order in.

hm, no disrespect, but "they have a business" to run? well if they are in the business producing and selling those turntables. i don't see how asking them to supply interested customers with their products would cause any grief. and if they indeed PRODUCED those turntable arms themselves, in house, i don't see why they would not start a run. unless they destroyed all their tools and measurments.
what's a guy to do that owns a turntable and needs a replacement arm nowadays? not contact the manufacturer? buy a cd player?

i can see how a lot of the same inquiries could hold them up, but why not have one guy contact them and ask if they can do a run of these parts? i'm sure there is enough interest out there to get a reasonable order in.

I would imagine that since those turntables were made in the mid-70s, they don't offer service parts, and wouldn't have the tooling any more. I don't see any benefit to pressuring the original company recreate tooling for parts for a discontinued product, when regular people can have reproduction parts machined almost anywhere. The revenue for them probably wouldn't justify the expense.

Exactly. Additionally we have found that often times, when these things are made public, the company is baraged by requests and either jacks up the price to infinity or clams up all together. We have parts in hand that can be replicated and to the best of my understanding the companies supplies have been exhausted. Wes has respectfully requested that the company not be overrun by exuberant fett-fans as he has been working hard to build a relationship with them for over a year now. Having dozens of people make requests at this point might damage that relationship and halt any future efforts or finds.

I would imagine that since those turntables were made in the mid-70s, they don't offer service parts, and wouldn't have the tooling any more. I don't see any benefit to pressuring the original company recreate tooling for parts for a discontinued product, when regular people can have reproduction parts machined almost anywhere. The revenue for them probably wouldn't justify the expense.

As an engineer I completely agree, we as a company don't keep tooling/drawings for work we did 5 years ago let alone 20, also these parts were manufactured by michell engineering I assume for another company therefore that company will hold rights to its design and distribution

first off, nobody is "pressuring" anybody, secondly i do not consider myself an "exuberant fett-fan", and concern about what they would charge for those pieces? I'm sure it would be a whole lot less than what it would cost anybody in time and money spent, to get 4 of those arms for their costumes themselves.
And with Delta 75 having such a good relationship with them, he could be the ONE asking them to do a run.

I think Delta75 is just trying to avoid a dead end scenario and one that could end his current relationship with them. As stated, he has been in contact with them for quite some time....and they no longer have or make spare parts for these turntables.

While I understand why someone would think that if there is a demand for something, a business with the capabilities to fill the demand would of course do it. Unfortunately, for various reasons, this does not always happen. The demand might not be large enough to justify their internal costs. Or, they may not want parts available so that people will upgrade their broken unit for a newer model. The possibilities are endless.

The important thing to remember is that this list has obviously been in some members hands for quite some time. If they ask us not to contact or overwhelm a vendor, we should be honorable and respect their wishes. Let's not forget as well that those companies that want to fill the demand present, if they feel it is specialized (say Star Wars related) can and have jacked the price up just to make more money. It is always better to deal with these things in a low key manner.

Volkerc, I like your point toward the end of post #12 (y)
Most companies stay in business because they like to sell a products.Maybe "Delta75" meant to put it that the company doesnt like to field question like "Do you sell the parts that was used for the outfit that Boba fett wore"or "I am trying to find some knee darts,do you still sell them?" or something like that.Just be polite and realize they might have no idea why you are needing what you are looking for.
I had a crazy idea to read up on this company so I went to their web site(http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/). From veiwing the picture gallery of the products I noticed that their design has not changed much of the past many years.In fact they still produce the same turntable(GyroDec)for the past 25 years.As well some other ones that are still made since 1981.
I also notice that there is a link to thier distrubitor list.They sell turntables in about 30 countries.Shirley..one of them might have access to replacement parts which might have the needed "fett"parts.Just a thought and sorry to call you Shirley ;)
You might not be able to purchase "just" the item that was used but you might be able to find a distrubitor that might have some scrap turntables to sell so you can harvest the needed parts.It is amazing what you can find out if you just ask..again being polite :)
Interesting fact about this company (pasted from the web site)..."In the early sixties founder John Michell created J.A.Michell Engineering as a precision engineering company doing work for the nearby film industry (e.g. spacecraft models in Kubrick's "2001 - A Space Odyssey")...."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back