Started my Zam

Ahhhh!! Beth! It's looking great!! (y) So much better ON you than sitting in my closet gathering dust. :lol:

You do me proud girl.

:zam

Can't wait to see photos of it all together. :)

So cool!! I love how the skirt came out. You are rockin' this outfit. Keep it up, you can make Dcon! I'll be there, hopefully I can flag you down for pictures!!

Deunan Shiruba

I had a very successful weekend. Vest and cummerbund are assembled, I just need to dye them. I was actually able to put on most of the costume to get a feel of what it will look like completed.

I took in the pants a bit which made it a little better. I still have to take in the seams on the lower leg and I think that will take care of the bunching on the knees.

The whole costume is starting to take shape (y)

DSC06247.jpg

DSC06253.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z66/sl585/Costumes/Zam/Zam WIP 7-20-08/DSC06253.jpg

More pics

I'm a little worried about the ankle gaurds. I was having a tough time keeping them actually on the boot. They kept popping off as I walked.

Looking great! (y) You're gonna make one fantastic Zam!

Do the ankle guards have snaps on them? They should have 3 large snaps on the back of each... it'll keep them from falling off! ;)

Wow!! You are moving along so quickly!!!

*looks a pile of Zam stuff* I wish I could get moving on mine that fast.

You are turning into a great Zam!!:D

Hey hey hey...getting there :)

Love the belt and vest, very nice

When you tightening the pants that costume will rock.

Keep up the good work

Oh, you're rocking on it now!!

What leather did you use for the vest and belt?

If you take the middle back seam in (make it shorter between your neck and waist), you will get the vest to smooth out more and do less wrinkles. Don't overdo it or it could get too short. :)

Did you coil your hair up under your helmet? I notice you have long hair too, and I'm trying to figure out my solution to that one.

Do you need red silk for the lining of the front face cloth?

Well done!!

Deunan Shiruba

I can answer the last one... Yes... you do need red silk for the veil lining. (It's not exactly red... more of a deep reddish-orangish color. ) If you don't have a pre-dyed red silk piece - you can custom dye it with silk paint from Dharma Trading Co. Silk paint is easier to use than dye and is just as permanent.

i wanted to add...you did a fantastic job on that skirt..it hangs awesome...curious what weight you used for the leather. my wife's zam skirt still refuses to relax..lol

Oh yeah, that was tired post-SDCC me. I was offering red silk. I have all the facilities here to dye silk any color you need, any thickness of silk you want. Just let me know what shade of red and I can make up a huge batch at once for all Zammers.

I'll need the dimensions of your silk patch, not of all our Zams are exactly the same.

Thanks!

Deunan Shiruba

Ooops... Sorry. That was migrainy me answering too! :lol:

Thanks for offering that! The color I chose was the one off the little Zam bust from Sideshow... as it has a bit of the red showing. If you have that - you can get something pretty close in color.

Do the ankle guards have snaps on them? They should have 3 large snaps on the back of each... it'll keep them from falling off! ;)

Yup. Got the snaps on. It's more a problem of the front part that goes over the shoe comming up when I walk.

What leather did you use for the vest and belt?

I acutally ended up getting a deer hide. I was having trouble finding lambskin and the pigskin that my local Tandy had didn't dye well at all.

Did you coil your hair up under your helmet? I notice you have long hair too, and I'm trying to figure out my solution to that one

I pile all my hair up on top of my head. I have enough room in the top of the helmet to fit it all in.

Do you need red silk for the lining of the front face cloth
I think it's red silk. I used red poly that I have on hand from another costume I am making. I might replace it someday with real silk.

i wanted to add...you did a fantastic job on that skirt..it hangs awesome...curious what weight you used for the leather. my wife's zam skirt still refuses to relax..lol

I used 4 - 5 ouce cow hide. After I cut and dyed the squares I worked with each one to take out some of the stiffness. Then I resolened them and worked each square again while I was lacing it up. I have spent some time after it was all finished rolling it up in diffrent directions to try and get it to soften up some more. It's still pretty stiff, but it's getting better.

Looks a great Zam.

There any chance of telling us where you got all ya stuff from?

I got bit's from here and there.

The neoprene and helmet along with other various bits I bought from a friend. Helemt was made by DCB and the neoprene is from the first run Zam I Am did. I'm not sure where some of the other pieces are from. The leather work I did myself. Armor/shins/gauntles are from Mon Cal.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back