How Hard?

I was just wondering how hard it is to paint a Boba helmet with all the battle damage and things? I've got no experiance on something like this but would really like to get a Boba helmet soon. Any tutorials out there to help?

Thanks in advance,
Neil.

It isn't hard, is funny. You must spend on it several hours, but You will have an incredible helmet. But... take it easy, seriously. Is better 1000 hours spent with the best helmet than 2 hours with a not so good helmet.

It's not a job, It's a hobby, so please, enjoy it painting the helmet, don't run.

ESB or RotJ?

:cheers

Well, I've not got one yet (Still lookin' around :) ) I was planning on maybe an ESB though. Any thoughts?

Well, you can use the ESB paint templates and redesing them if you think that they can be better. I think is the best option.

And about Topical or Layered... Topical is the way to go IMO ;) Superjedi has a lot of threads with tons of pics about the Topical method.

:cheers

it's really not possible to answer a question like that... how hard is such a relative question. if you're an expert painter that's been doing stuff like that for years, it's easy. if you've never held a paint brush, airbrush or rattlecan, it's going to be tough.

Hi Neil,

If you decide to go layered like I did, make sure you use Krylon 1511 Silver instead of the Rustoleum Aluminum V7715. When I sprayed the Krylon Italian Olive green 3522 on top of the Rustoleum Aluminum it peeled right off with the masking tape.

I've spent about 6 months on mine so far, it'll never be finished :lol:

Image007.jpg

This is my second lid i have painted and at the mo it has taken me about 4 weeks (about 20 hours in total). Its not what i would call an easy undertaking but if you take your time you will be fine. There is lots of reference material here on TDH :)

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

im at the 10 hour mark with mine.

Im a newb also this is my first (and first time painting) i plan to actually do another once im completed this one. Because you learn so much... Im also doing a Jet Pack also at the same time. my suggestion is take your time doing the a good job with prep work and get your resources handy.

Also details make or break the helment.. Yeah you can block in all the large stuff, but the helmet wont look convincing unless you add all the small sratches, scuffs,... etc.

Like i said im a newb too, so i have alot to learn.

boba1.gif

painted... i went this route beucase with the problems i was experincing with my jet pack. Im doing layered on the pack and i find its really hard to control layered.... I was working with spray cans and layered find the paint was too thick. Therefore you wouldnt get proper detail.

If you are using airbrush you have more control with paint thickness and bonding suitable for layered.

GB - Still a nice lid bruv... ;)

Niel, it all depends on your method of application.. in whether it's airbrush or spray cans? (awaits Brian to step in tell me its the same :lol:)
Also painting a lid 'topical' you have more control over your details... I've tried both and the layered is preferred for that wow factor but the topical is more forgiving.. also check out the stencil thread... these are really cool and used with plenty of ref material you can achieve a half decent lid. (y)

I've already got about a full day of work or so on mine and it's only really the dome, cheeks, and the mandibles/rim that are painted so far. Oh, and the dent is silver. To be fair, though, much of that was trial and error with colours. I think I repainted the dome/cheeks about 4 times before I just gave up and ordered some panzer olivegrun. Normally I'm pretty good at mixing colours, but that one just wasn't happening. I tried twice to get the oxide/boxcar/whatever on the mandibles, but I'm happy with it now. So, part of what will affect the time/difficulty in painting a lid will depend on things like that. In reality - assuming I had exactly the colours I needed to start with - the painting time should have only been maybe a couple hours so far.

I agree about the topical vs layered methods. Topical is easier, but less awesome up close. Layered is awesome up close, but very involved and takes rather longer to do. If you're happy with something that will look great from a few feet back then you might want to consider topical.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back