My quick and easy weathering tutorial.

goldenrod

Active Hunter
Goldenrod's quick and easy weathering tutorial.

My quick and easy weathering tutorial. It oriented towards a Republic Commando but it can work for any armor.

Want that airbrushed look but can't use or don't have an airbrush well don't fret it my friend!

Heres my process:
Most important rule, get reference pics! Or reference that closely resembeles what your trying to achieve.

1. Base coat satin white let dry.
2. In order to use the pastel sticks you will need to take a knife and scrape the black and brown pastel sticks onto a plate or piece of paper, you will end up with 2 little piles of colored dust.
Now, with a medium size paint brush dab it into to your dust pile and brush the brown pastel in creases and feather it outwards.
3. Now brush on the black pastels on top of the brown and feather outwards.
Also brush lightly with both the black and brown in different directions to show carbon scoring,but don't over do it. Use your reference pics.Now seal it with your clear satin spraypaint. If your doing the Sev paint scheme this is the time you add the blood or any other RC color.
4. Then take a piece of scrap plastic or wood and spraypaint it black and let dry,confused?LOL!
5. Now take that piece of black scrap and scrape it onto the areas that you want battle scarring,very easy.
6. Now take a silver paint pen and hit the highest edges on the armor and here and there on lower flat areas,not to much silver though as it will look fake and over done.
7. Once the silver is dry, take a "black" ink pen and trace around the edges of the silver areas to signify it is a scratch with a black undercoating showing through. Look at my chest armor for reference. If anyone needs it i can post closer pics to show this effect.
8. And lastly! spray it with a satin clearcoat.

Heres what you can achieve with this technique.
sevpic1zz8.jpg

sevpic1zz8.2cb8f75e05.jpg

I hope this helps someone;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres some pics to help. This is me weathering my RC biceps for the demo.
I know its easier for some to catch on quicker visually:)

weather1tk5.jpg

weather1tk5.edf404be84.jpg

weather4ot6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back