Putting Dents in Armor/Bradleyfett Armor

FettDad

Active Hunter
hey guys, just got my bradleyfett armor, and it doesnt come with dents...how should i go about adding those to the armor? thanks in advance!!:)

so satxer, just heat it up with a blow drier or something of the sort? should i be worried about pushing thru the armor? thanks for your help....:)

Something from a well known prop maker. This is how he suggest you put dents in your knee armor. It is the same idea for the rest of your armor.

"Depending on the movie version, you may or may not want dents. If you choose dents, these can be achieved through heat, and a little manipulation. I would NOT recommend using a heat gun. Too hot. Same goes for a hair dryer. Their heating areas are too wide for this application. You should use, a cigarette lighter. Yep. If you don't smoke ... go get one at your local 7-11. You'll thank me for it. You will also want something small and blunt, about the shape of the tip of your pinky finger. No. Don't even think about it. DO NOT use your pinky for this next step :lol:

Mark where you want your dents with a pencil. Use the cigarette lighter to localize the flame on the one spot you want to dent. Doing this from behind is recommended because there will be some soot and discoloration. After you've had the localized flame from the cigarette lighter for about 5 seconds, put the lighter down and use the blunt instrument you chose to lightly push the area inward that you just heated. Instant dent. I have to reiterate, that a heatgun or hair dryer is an inappropriate choice for this application. Because of the area that they can heat, the whole knee could cave in when you go to press your wittle dent in the surface ;)"

awesome, asok! thanks a ton! that makes total sense....now, will the dent be round, or can i make more jagged edges with it?

My suggestion is to look at the Ref CD or DVD and make the dents match the suit you are wanting yours to look like. I found when making dents in my armor, I look for items around the house that could help me make the dent look the way it is in the photo.

I used this technique for putting the dents in my knees. I also used it for my Endor Commando helmet. I used a rock for my dent making device lol. I also headed from the back in case any bubbling occured it was in the back side.

a smooth rock or a medium size sharpee leaves a nice smooth dent in my knee armor. A jagged rough rock left a dent with a lot of character and edges. and smaller dents within the dent (looked good for the Endor helmet)

you could either heat up a spot with a torch / lighter and push it in with something, or cut out the area of the dent entirely and build up a dent with epoxy putty or something similar.

the latter is how i made the dent in the bradleyfett helmet i built up:

normal_IMG_1913.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back