Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

Had a fun day adding some AOSW damage!( what bank holiday weekends were designed for!) A good reason to keep all your old paint brushes, they're perfect for the scuff marks/damage as they're not as uniform as a good brush so give some random effects. By some fluke of lighting the AOSW ref pic in the background seems to match up quite well!:lol:
At the end of this paint up i'll be posting a stage by stage list of paint/ techniques. Trust me when i say this but this paint job is not that difficult to achieve;) There is also an additional layer i forgot about, the white gel coat which i've exposed in some scratches using my SP pencil and around the bottom edge also...

DSCF0027_11.jpg

TF,
Uh-oh! I see 1 small scratch that's off by .03 mm. Total rubbish. . . might as well smash it with a sledgehammer.

:lol:

Keeps looking better and better! Looking forward to seeing some overall pics once it's done. :cheers

Hi TF,

This is absolutely A M A Z I N G !:eek:
The layered painting is really awesome!
You have set the new standard for (layered) painting dude!

In total awe I remain,
Peter

BobaFettAvatar-animated01.gif

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Peter, i'll say again that once you've got the technique nailed ( i think there is still room for improvement ) and familiarize yourself with the details, its not that difficult to achieve. One of the hardest elements is taking your time (this helmet is 10 weeks and counting ) and re-checking your liquid masked areas before committing to paint, one reason i like the layered method; you can tweak the detail before the airbrush comes out...(y)

I've just put some paint on the R/H ear parts, mostly used liquid mask but also picked/scratched down to silver and grey layers, even exposing the white gel coat in a few areas for some highlights, once the graphics go on i'll scratch through these for the finishing details...

DSCF0005_54.jpg

DSCF0017_17.jpg

Sorry if i'm boring anyone here but i'm nearly done with this helmet, i promise! Just re-masked the R/H top mandible area and added a purple and then red layer to pick up on the detail missed in the initial layer. Added a few more scratches through the layers to silver and dry brushed some dirt onto the top of the brow/around the ears and the smudges on the L/H mandible. The ear symbols were done with masking tape ( still need the full stops) and brush painted. I still need to add some detail within the dent and then its the final 3 colour mist and splatter! Then i'm done, still undecided on the crack repair and pen marks?

DSCF0006_53.jpg

bored? heh... i'm just looking at this to see what else i should be doing on mine! ;)

i'd say no to the crack/repair myself. everything else looks cool... that is just obvious mishandling of a prop.

I still think you need more practice bruv... I'm just not seeing it? ;):lol:

Sweet @ss! (no, not you - the lid) :lol:
I'd not go for the crack repair personally but It's your lid... and you have gone for the exhibit version after all? :facepalm

TF, What mask fluid have you used?

THX :)

I used Humbrol Maskol, i found this better to use than W and N. Its a little tricky on the silver where its difficult to see sometimes but perfect for the other colours where you can check the details underneath once it drys. I've also started using a silicone chisel brush 0 gauge and soft compound. Dosen't clog like a brush and you can get some really fine detail...(y)

And have you ever used Micromask? I have it, and I'm going to try with, but better if someone say how it is :)

Cheers

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back