UK Customs Charges

HeadlessHunter

Well-Known Hunter
I've just gotten a letter from Royal Mail (UK) I recently bought some aluminium fett ears and they have charged me a grand total of $95 just to bring them into the country, I'm sorry but this is outrageous, anyone else had any interesting experiences ? :angry

I'm not in the UK, but Canada. I just recently received my soft parts from Bobamaker and Canada Customs dinged me $140. :angry (Still worth it for the quality of the gear I got from BM though. :) )

Yup, when i ordered some BM items about a month ago, I got charged $40 for customs. I dont mind paying it, I just didnt know I'd get charged for something like that.

I believe it is based on the declared value. I usually put a much lower declared value when I ship international to help the non-US folks out a little in the wallet.

I'm based in Ireland so when I buy from the US, I normally ask the seller to declare a value below $100 to avoid VAT. It's normally not a problem with custom made prop sellers (these items can be difficult for customs to put a value on, unless they know the products).

I have been stung a few times before with Ebay shops. Most expeditors will ask for VAT to be paid at time of delivery except Fedex, they send you an invoice after delivery.

Basically you wait for your goods as normal and then instead of a nice parcel waiting for you on your doorstep when you get home, you find a letter that says Dear Mr ...... we are holding an international parcel that requires payment for customs charges totaling $5000000 this invoice must be paid before the parcel can be collected, yes thats right not only do we have to pay them MORE money but we then have to collect the parcel from a depot!!! (n)

Basically you wait for your goods as normal and then instead of a nice parcel waiting for you on your doorstep when you get home, you find a letter that says Dear Mr ...... we are holding an international parcel that requires payment for customs charges totaling $5000000 this invoice must be paid before the parcel can be collected, yes thats right not only do we have to pay them MORE money but we then have to collect the parcel from a depot!!! (n)

Wow, I would be ticked to. That really sucks, so you have no idea how much the customs charges untill they have your package?

That's why when us U.S. people ship you something, we need to help you out by filling in a lower dollar amount than what you actually paid. ;)
:cheers

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back