Paypal fees?!

stellardude

Active Hunter
Ok... please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is an unfair trend:

People who are tacking on Paypal fees when selling stuff in the Cargo Hold

This fee is charged to the Seller because it's the cost of recieving payment through their service.... it's not the Buyer's responsibility to pay for this service. That's why there's no option in Paypal to charge this to your Buyer.

If you really don't want to be charged this fee, at least do us the courtesy of just adding 4% to the price you want for the item... let us be in ignorance that you're making us pay for it. :)

Just my two cents here... (that will be 2.08 cents if you want to pay by Paypal)

Yeah, some sellers are like that. Myself, I take in my share of $$ through paypal per month, but I don't ask for the seller to pick up the fee. You're right in that it is considered a normal part of business. I will never ask them to pick up the fee and hopefully it attracts buyers to my goods if they see they don't have to pay. I never deal with a seller who asks me to pay those fees, no matter how much I want the item. I'll pay more to someone else who doesnt charge them. It's a matter of principle for me.

I think a lot of the reason people do that is because they dont WANT to take paypal but take paypal as a convenience to the buyers. Because most buyers are not wanting to go to the bank for a cashiers check or a money order or willing to send cash.

I'll pay someone the paypal fee to save my self from having to get spend more money in gas to get to my credit union which isnt in the city I live in.

not to mention when backed by a C.card you have that added security, better than cash or money order. sometimes even cashiers check. small price to pay that extra couple bucks.

I think a lot of the reason people do that is because they dont WANT to take paypal but take paypal as a convenience to the buyers. Because most buyers are not wanting to go to the bank for a cashiers check or a money order or willing to send cash.

I'll pay someone the paypal fee to save my self from having to get spend more money in gas to get to my credit union which isnt in the city I live in.

not to mention when backed by a C.card you have that added security, better than cash or money order. sometimes even cashiers check. small price to pay that extra couple bucks.
Yes but all of these things that Paypal offers are for the benefit of the Seller too... I agree with frb13... it's like asking a Buyer on eBay to pay for your listing fees.

If you look at it as saving you time to go buy a Money Order and ship it... The Seller has to take the Money Order to the bank to cash it... so they have to commute too... Doesn't make sense to discourage Paypal... it saves the Seller time too.

It just seems to be in poor form to request this.

It's pro'ly the fact that the charges seem a bit one-sided to those who use it for accepting payments. I know I use paypal more for accepting pay than for sending, so it's a bit of a bug in that respect. I don't charge the extra to the buyer, but I get a little bummed out when I add up the amt I lost at the end of the month to fees, while the buyers didn't have any extra charge. Just two sides of the coin to consider.

Ok... please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is an unfair trend:

People who are tacking on Paypal fees when selling stuff in the Cargo Hold

This fee is charged to the Seller because it's the cost of recieving payment through their service.... it's not the Buyer's responsibility to pay for this service. That's why there's no option in Paypal to charge this to your Buyer.

If you really don't want to be charged this fee, at least do us the courtesy of just adding 4% to the price you want for the item... let us be in ignorance that you're making us pay for it. :)

Just my two cents here... (that will be 2.08 cents if you want to pay by Paypal)

The buyer really ends up paying for it anyway... some sellers are just more overt about it :)

I think sellers do it to make it look like they're offering a better deal... It can work well... if it works :)

PayPals instant tranfer fees suck... 2.9% and rising... but people dont know that if you pay with a paypal echeck you only pay a max of $5.00... which is nothing if your slling a high priced item.

When people tell me to pay an extra 4%... I'm like "no... I'll pay with an echeck... it costs $5.00 max" and most people are ok with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes my brothers and dear friends. As we can see, Paypal has a scent of all their own.

Sometimes the Sniffer himself chooses to Sniff elsewhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Sniffer has left this thread rather upset

It's the same as an Interac machine at a corner store... the store pays a fee to rent the machine... and they pay a fee every time someone uses the machine.

The customer pays a fee to use the machine (although usually part of a monthly fee to the bank).. so we're even-steven... both pay a fee to do business.

Charging an extra % on top of a product you sell makes it like charging a "tax"
Rolling it into the price of the item means "You're paying for the product AND service"

Just some food for thought to those few who have created this new trend of asking for the extra %.... consider the price of gas... so, in turn, what it costs to drive to the bank to cash your Money Order or Cashier's Cheque.

The Paypal fees are just following suit such as when you use a credit card at any retail establishment. That place of business is going to get socked for a percentage of the purchase by the credit card company similar to how Paypal does it to sellers. Theres a reason self checkout machines are setup to do debit first, no fees for the retailer compared to using the credit card.

I don't charge it only because it would make my price on belts seem funny....which looks better ?? $100 or $104.79. Which I don't know the exact number but, as a seller, it sometimes bums me out at the end of the month. But either way somebody is gonna take a hit.

The retailer pays a fee to let their customer's use Credit Cards, but it allows them the opportunity to convince Buyers to spend money they don't have at the moment... that's why they gladly swallow the relatively small charges.

And let's not forget that the Buyer does pay to use a Credit Card too... whether by Paypal or not... they pay interest.

I guess the bottom line is, Paypal charges the Seller as a cost of running business (hey maybe you can even get a tax deduction for it at the end of the year!). I'm not saying it's fair for the Seller to have to pay it... I'm just saying it's not fair to expect the Buyer to.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back