Mercs metal Mand'alor armor.

NovallTalon

Well-Known Hunter
I never put a WIP here for the metal armor I've been working on. If you want to see that, you can hit it up on the Mercs site. For those of you interested in making metal armor, you can find some tips and tricks in that thread.

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=3029.0

I had started with all aluminum parts, but then in the last couple weeks switched to plate steel for my top and kept the aluminum for the leg, shin, and foot armor.

I still have to put together my metal knees, which I'll do this weekend. Have to have all this ready by the 19th of this month...so running close to time. Jumpsuit also has to be taken in, lost 33 lbs in the last 3 months now and it just doesn't fit as good as it one did (you don't see my crying over that!).

DSCF0624.jpg

DSCF0623.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Mercs skull on the left shoulder and Talon Clan symbol on the right breast plate. The back plate is in my shop drying, but is also plate steel. I'll update with a pic of that tomorrow.

yeah, it'll be on me on the 19th for a photo shoot with our local 501st Garrison.

It's lighter then a full fiberglass set, and stronger. If you get the right thickness of metal, then you can't go wrong. People wanna get the thickest thing they can find, but that's totally the wrong way to go.

It's lighter then a full fiberglass set, and stronger. If you get the right thickness of metal, then you can't go wrong. People wanna get the thickest thing they can find, but that's totally the wrong way to go.

Working on metal armor myself, I can attest to this. The aluminum I'm using is 16ga - which is thinner than my current 3mm Sintra plates, and the aluminum actually weighs less, too. The trick to making the thin metal look good is in how you hammer it out, and the edging lip you give it. Mine may be thin, but it looks thick and impervious.

I wish you could to Charlie! We'd have around 5 mandos counting your Fett, think about the awesome pics we could get outta that.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I just hope it wears as good as it looks. Can't be any worse then lugging around a ton of fiberglass armor. =D

Looks great, you've done a fantastic job. You may want to add some random scratches with a screwdriver so the large un-damaged spaces don't look too clean.

I designed this paint scheme to be weathered over time. It's something kinda cool for metal armor that you can't really apply to the other crafting mediums.

What you do is you sand where you want the paint to stick, then you leave other areas un sanded. Even with self-etching primer, paint has a hard time sticking to smooth metal. So as you wear it, it weathers itself. I'm afraid to add much more then this suit is already going to take in the near future. The right chest weathering was already accidentally initiated when I painted the Talon clan logo on lastinght. Sticky back vinyl paper is pretty strong stuff and pulled some up.

I don't necessarly roll the edges, I just give them some curve. You really can't get a good roll in the corners because the metal starts to fold in on itself. I'll take some pics of the inside of the armor tonight for you, so you can see what i mean.

BUMP....that was my head hitting the floor....i passed out when i saw that...and ive seen it before!

well done man its flawless!

Ok, nearly done. Metal knees should be together and painted up by the end of the weekend. Using my fiberglass knees in these pics for now since they are white. Also have a kama with cloth upper and a long black cape that my seamstress will have ready this week. Then I can take a break and finish the female armor.

nov1.jpg

nov2.jpg

nov3.jpg

nov4.jpg

nov9.jpg

I've lost 35lbs so far to make this armor look as good as possible. I've got 10 more pounds to go and I think I'll be right where I need to be for now. Anything more then that and I'll have to do a second set of adjustments. Already had everything but the vest taken in once LOL!

Made some movement poses today to show how metal can increase your range of motion. Stronger means you can do more! :lol:

DSCF0643.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0646.jpg

DSCF0649.jpg

Some tweaking I need to do.

More velcro on the knees. They don't like staying up, plus I need to hide the straps and put an extra set of snaps on the sides to hold them closer in to my knees.

Need to have the flight suit stick inside the cod cup. Will probably use velcro to secure it. Losing weight makes your stuff baggy! =D

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back