Trusting photos will ruin your helmet.

acutally, the quote i was going to add to that...i found to be a little to risque and possibly demeaning to some members.....

so....

bunny-pancake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
About focal length:

I'm a serious amature/semi professional photographer and also used to sell cameras for a living. So I'd like to shed some more light on this subject for what it's worth.

For anyone who doesn't know, focal length is the distance from the front element (the end of the lens) to the focal plain (the film or CCD/CMOS sensor)

50mm focal distance is "normal"/ what your eye sees on 35mm film cameras and digital cameras with a 35mm sized CCD/CMOS sensor. The "normal" focal length of digital cameras is different depending on the sensor, most digital camera sensors are smaller than 35mm meaning that the "normal" focal length is going to be less than 50mm. There is no standard sensor size so you'll need to check the instruction manual to know what is "normal" for your camera.

Just to add even further to this observation...you also need to be mindful of the position of your camera as you are composing the shot. Many photographers use a level to make this certain, any tilt to your camera will change the perspective of the helmet as it is captured on film. With so many different angles, curves and such in the design of the Fett helmet make it a perspective nightmare. Combine this with lens focal length, camera to helmet disatance, lighting and even the vertical hight level of the camera in comparison to the hight of the mannequin make for spot on representation of the helmet 'true to life' very difficult. I do think that a great deal of the misnomers once believed to be true about the ESB helmet were laid to rest with the actual viewing at C4, where so many of us could finally view this helmet in real life. As a bonus to this experience was the arrival of the FP helmet and armor of which I am sure would not have been possible using prior photographic reference alone...many thanks;)

Just to add even further to this observation...you also need to be mindful of the position of your camera as you are composing the shot. Many photographers use a level to make this certain, any tilt to your camera will change the perspective of the helmet as it is captured on film. With so many different angles, curves and such in the design of the Fett helmet make it a perspective nightmare. Combine this with lens focal length, camera to helmet disatance, lighting and even the vertical hight level of the camera in comparison to the hight of the mannequin make for spot on representation of the helmet 'true to life' very difficult. I do think that a great deal of the misnomers once believed to be true about the ESB helmet were laid to rest with the actual viewing at C4, where so many of us could finally view this helmet in real life. As a bonus to this experience was the arrival of the FP helmet and armor of which I am sure would not have been possible using prior photographic reference alone...many thanks;)

Great points as well (y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back