Atempted scratch build

Light Tech

New Hunter
Scratch build Has begun

Well started working on this again, and this time I'm happy with the way things are turning out. W.O.F. templates are working great and things are going together pretty smoothly. I'll try to keep taking pictures as I move along in the process. Any way here are the pics of what I have started.

Later,

-Chris

P1010479.jpg

P1010482.jpg

P1010483.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of scratch building my Jet Pack using W.O.F templates. I decided to build mine from foamies, with the exception of the ball part of the thrusters and the missile nosecone. I think I know what kind of card you're using and I have to say that I hate it, it's as fragile as you like, one bump and you'll find the whole lot will crease or split. Try going for a more user friendly material, foamboard (the expanded type) or sintra or even have a bash at foamies if you're looking for something that'll take some punishment.

Good luck

You need to try Sintra or some other brand of expanded PVC. Check local sign shops or look online for "expanded PVC sheet", you'll find there are many different thicknesses available. Also, you can check at Home Depot or Lowe's for .060 sheets of Kydex, it works great for jet packs, helmets, gauntlets, almost anything you can scratch build. Super Glue works great with it. too.

A really good and cheap material to work with is hardboard. You can get it at Home Depot in 2'x4', 4'x4' and 2'x2' sheets 1/8th of an inch thick. It's fairly easy to cut, glues with regular white or carpenters glue, and is quite sturdy.

As for the rocket asembly, I used posterboard and will seal it with poly acylic sealer to make it water-proof. The result is a jet pack that weighs in around the 5 pound mark, which is 10 pounds lighter than the average kit out there.

I suggest that you check out my build thread, if you haven't already... scratch built cardboard jet pack.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think the boards that I picked up will work out for the flat surfaces but I'm going to go back to styrene for the curved parts. It worked out great for my helmet and gauntlets, but I wanted to try different materials, oh well. I'll get more up as I get moving on this again.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back