AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

anks

Wow! i am just new to this and it is very cool, i am currently making one just for fun because i think i am too young for all this other complicated methods that older people will use ( not old but older than 14, lol :lol:), so i am kinda usng paper mache as a coating around it instead of the Bondo stuff. Very cool work i am amazed at how easy this tutorial can make what i think is a very complicated piece of work much easier! Thanks so much! :D

He need's the experience, let him try. For all he/we know's he is a paper mache GOD! And if it dont work out to the degree of perfect, He can try again! Yay!

TK421:
Paper and glue is inexpensive. Paper mache needs to be suported on the inside of the helmet. Also noone gets perfect on the first try, But with a little try and fail, planning and patience. You can go a long way. So don't be discouraged. :p
Im gonna guess you live with your parent./parents. They love it if you designate a work area and clean it up between the hours. Heck, it would be cool if you could trick them to make their own buckets! But here I am ranting off again...

Can we see pictures when its done TK421?

ahh, you see i am not a paper mache god, lol and the helmet was far too flimsy, it was just a little bit of a first try, i am now currently making armour out of mounting board, so it should be great.

haha right you are, knuffe. i just felt the pain of making my first bucket out of cardboard and adoring it, then putting paper mache over it and being severely disappointed lol but if TK421 puts more time into it than i did, then maybe it'll turn out ;) definitely post pics TK!! and good luck!

WOW Antman this tutorial is....its just amazing!! i just got involved with thing a few days ago. i always thought it be cool to hav mando armor but you just completely descredited any thought that it would be impossible to make a legit helmet without spending a ton of money and needing complicated tools or sculpting abilities. thank you so very much for this.

kingcamero said:
I'm new and this is the best tutorial I've seen yet but did he ever post on how he made the visor or added the ear pieces?
In the thread for the first bucket build he attempted, he mentions that the ears are glued on (probably with the wood glue he uses for most of this), but doesn't mention the visor. I have heard that a common method of attaching it is with hot glue. Here's the link to the original build -- it's less thorough tutorial-wise than this one, but more complete as a whole. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/first-post-first-wof-bukcet-build-cardboard-23159/

In the thread for the first bucket build he attempted, he mentions that the ears are glued on (probably with the wood glue he uses for most of this), but doesn't mention the visor. I have heard that a common method of attaching it is with hot glue. Here's the link to the original build -- it's less thorough tutorial-wise than this one, but more complete as a whole. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/first-post-first-wof-bukcet-build-cardboard-23159/

I've got both of Ant's threads bookmarked for reference when I am doing my scratch builds; I'm up to number 5 as of now.....(y)
Rob

thank you Antman for this most excellent tutorial. A mere 4 hours ago another custom, cardboard bucket was conceived thanks largely to Yourself and the esteemed Mr.Sinclair.

he mentioned that this was made from paperboard? is that like poster board? i saw som at walmart and was wondering if that was the right stuff

paper/poster board is too thin, it'll be really hard to make structurally sound.
i got Mat Board from Michaels Arts and Craft, Studio Decor 24in x 36 in.
plan on using 3 sheets for 2 buckets barring messups.
you won't find it with the regular cardboard/craft paper/corrugated but rather with their picture/painting frames.

edit: just double checked my Mat Boards thickness and it clocks in at 1.58 mm or 1/16 in.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOOO TK421 don't use paper mache!!! i tried that it looked terrible lol

Well..... I used paper mache on the cheeks of my cardboard bucket instead of bondo and it worked great. Used it on the dome also, but just to hold the dome pieces together. For a first time it works great, but if you want a nice smooth dome papermache isn't enough, you need bondo for that.

Ruben

Wat een waanzinnige resultaat, de paint job op je eerste helm echt fantastisch, je hebt me geinspireerd en gemotiveerd om het ook te proberen.
Thanx Dulla.

This is an amazing Tutorial. I've already started my 1st scratch build following your instructions Antman. Thank you so much to Antman & WOF for the templates. Im excited to see how your helmet turns out Antman and mine too LOL. Thanks again.
Oh! question any suggestions for the cheek area, how to make sure you get the same or close to the same angle on both sides?

Does anyone know where you would find plain cardboard that thick? I could use matt or art board, but that could get pretty expensive.

EDIT: I re-read some of this thread and think I got my answer!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back