AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That's it for the moment

I just found this video build on Youtube and at least I know he is okay

which similar to the builds here
and
was posted in 2013, he also posted some pepakura Fett helmet builds too

Sorry guys, I doubt he'll be back soon.

Last Activity 04-12-2009 01:48 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is a great thread have read it all and learned loads. Enjoyed all the highs and lows. Bit of a low when I read that putting papier-mâché on your bucket is a bad thing as I sit here letting my layer of papier-mâché dry...... Gulp. Seemed like a good idea at the time and still yet to be proved wrong lol.

Bucket off to Antman and everyone else involved. This thread has been running for years and am sure it will continue to be used as a resource for many more.

Absolutely awesome build, has inspired me to build my 3rd bucket. My 1st I built back in 1999 when Phantom Menace was released. Saw a program on Sky celebrating it's release, they had a guy called Terry Stephens (i think) who made full sized Star Wars statues out of paper mache. This inspired me to make a fett bucket, probably the easiest to make from scratch. I had no templates, just a lot of reference photos. The finished helmet was ok, made of thick paper, the dome was the biggest problem, sadly I no longer have it. My 2nd built I found the templates online but I rushed the dome build and screwed it up now I'm well into building my 3rd helmet, covering the dome will filler. I did regrettably buy a helmet from Ebay, it was s total nightmare, poorly cast in thin plastic, I've learnt my lesson.

I'm so pissed because no craft stores I know of have the paperboard feeling frustrated. Will I have to order it?

- - - Updated - - -

Feeling frustrated. No craft store I know of has the paperboard. Will I have to order it?

For my build I did a Google search for "solid mat board". It's the material used to frame paintings and photos. I'm not sure where you live but It is sold in arts and craft stores.
It worked well for me and is sold in sheets large enough for a helmet.

I'm starting my first build and bought 2 pieces of solid mat board.. one 1mm thick and another one 2.5mm thick since they were out of the 2mm one.
Do you think the 2.5 could work or should i wait for them to restock on the 2mm one :)?

I'd wait for the 2mm, and use hot press if you can, it's smoother and seems less prone to kinking when building curves.

In a pinch I have laminated different thickness of Matt board with 3M Super 77 adhesive. Glue up two sheets of 1 mm to get your 2 mm for example.

Thanks for the replies, I started the 2.5mm build since i already had it laying around! it's good practice for my next cardboard bucket :) but really hard to cut and took quite a while to bend in to shape without cracking.

I'll get the 2mm sheet next week and start another build.

Just like to thank Ant man for the awesome tutorial, I followed it to make my own bucket, this is how it looks so far
20161219_001028.jpg
20161219_001011.jpg
20161219_001054.jpg
And before I painted it
20161105_122703.jpg
None of this would have been possible without amazing tutorials like this one and the resources available to us on TDH, keep it up people!

20161219_001028.jpg

20161219_001011.jpg

20161219_001054.jpg

20161105_122703.jpg

Hi there!

I haven't finished the paint job on my first scratch build yet, but I already started on my second build of which I might be tempted to make a casting :rolleyes.... if I figure out how to do that!:D

Anyway, since I got so many inquiries about how to actually deal with Alan's templates, here's is my approach. With plenty pics o'course.

First of all, I start out by taping the biggest parts of the W[emoji106]F templates (pages 15+19 and 16+20) together as shown in these pics:

Boba2-087.jpg

Boba2-088.jpg

Boba2-089.jpg

Boba2-090.jpg

Boba2-091.jpg

Boba2-092.jpg

Boba2-001.jpg

Then I transfer them onto the cardboard (2 mm thickness here in metric Europe) and cut out one big piece which forms the "Outer Layer".
I do the same for the 4 parts ( pages 13+17 and 14+18 ) forming the "Inner Surface" and bend this large piece into shape very slowly and carefully.

Boba2-018.jpg

I do this by moistening the cardboard first with a misting bottle (for spraying plants) or wet spunge. Don't soak it though!
I bend it around the shape that is formed by pages 9 and 10 called the "Dome Base Right/Left side":

Boba2-019.jpg

Boba2-004.jpg

I join the two ends of the cylinder shape by glueing them together with an extra piece of cardboard, as such:

Boba2-005.jpg

Phew!:p Let's leave that to dry for like 12 hours at least.

Back soon. Now I'm going to check out that HOT thread about the 1986 Fett helmet by Banzai88! Very exciting stuff!

Later,
Peter

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/pkeasberry/BobaFettAvatar-animated01.gif

"With great power comes great responsibility"
Great work antman!
How did you hold the inner form together and in shape while the glue dried?

Sent by the Tapatalk Ferrets

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to relight the fire on this one guys it stops after the sanding of the filler. what are the next steps afterwards? Is there any fibreglass of filler that needs to go on the faceplate or is it straight to priming?

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back