great new rattle cans

suspect86

Active Hunter
I was at the art store today(Dick Blick) looking for a few new colors to work on my jet pack when I came across a new brand of spray cans targeted at the graffiti community. They have some awesome colors that you can't find with Krylon or Rustoleom. And to top it all off, every color has a satin finish! I've had a lot of trouble finding all of the right colors in satin. Most everything is always gloss.
There may now be a few more options to choose from when painting out Fett's.
The cans are called Montana Gold.
I bought a few colors just to try them out.
The are a little expensive($8.50 per can) but the colors are just too cool to pass up.

spray001.jpg

i want to see what you do with them! i also want to know why i havn't seen them in montana!

I got a can of that stuff and it definitely works great! There's one color I found online that I'd really like to get, but I can't find locally though, and all the online sources are overseas. :(

wow... that shock stuff looks awesome. and they have the nice spray nozzles too!

Yeah, you can actually buy interchangeable nozzles for the cans! From fine tip all the way to extreme wide. They're like airbrush tips for spray cans. Cool stuff. I can't wait to play around with these!

I got a can of that stuff and it definitely works great! There's one color I found online that I'd really like to get, but I can't find locally though, and all the online sources are overseas. :(

What color are you looking for? I might be able to pick it up. My local store's selection is huge!

What color are you looking for? I might be able to pick it up. My local store's selection is huge!

I was looking for a color called "Nautilus", it's a dark blue that looked perfect for my Mando armor. But after going up there again today, I found a color called "Blue Note" that is a little lighter, but still a very dark blue, so I think I'm good now. Thanks!

Also got one of the extra fat spray nozzles, so I'm hoping that increases it's coverage even more.

Oh, and has anyone tried out the chrome color? The donut on the top that indicates the color showed it as an extremely shiny silver. I didn't pick it up because I bought 2 other cans, and that was already almost $20. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't tried the chrome yet but I was back at the store again today and bought 3 different shades of yellow. I'm hoping to come up with a little better color scheme for the under-coat on the armor. Especially since this stuff has a satin finish. I'm tired of the glossy look.

Just some quick knowledge, as I've researched graffiti and written a paper on it before --

Montana has been around as a graffiti paint company for years, and they are considered to be some of the best paint for it; nice spray with coverage and doesn't run much... Also, interchangeable caps aren't new; part of what made NY Subway graffiti so epic was the use of different caps for different purposes... your fat caps, I believe, for fills as they put out a lot more paint in one spray; your thins for detail work. Black dots, blue dots, orange dots, NY Fats and skinnies... Look up some graffiti history and you'll be surprised at how much intricacy there is.

For instance... most of American rattles are female, and if you twist the spray nozzles (caps) off, they are male. Most European paint -- including Montana, when not found in America -- are male cans with female caps. There's actually a way to transfer paint from a full rattle can to an empty rattle can so you can convert European paint to American cans. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

Getting back on the Fett discussion, nice find, I'd be interested to see how well it covers -- should be VERY nice. Can't wait to see a progress thread if you do decide to use them for your paintjob. :)

i ordered a few cans of the american (well spanish with american distributor) montana stuff. it's a LOT cheaper than the german one, and the colors / styles seem similar.

i'll know soon enough how good that flavor is!

Thanks for the info Xero!:)
I had no idea Montana had been around that long.
You can find some of my jet pack progress with the use of the Montana colors here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=24730

PS. Daft Punk rules

Great jet pack, man! I need to really start busting on my Fett outfit and such... Michigan winters are unkind to builders. I'm sure people like Gator Fett can agree with me there...

http://www.graphic-forums.com/showthread.php?t=22367 Just a little google fu to illustrate the history of graffiti... I've been trying to find that conversion tutorial, as it's REALLY ridiculous, but it was years ago when I saw it... I'm having a lot of difficulty finding it. This page, however, talks a lot about the history and also has info about the caps and such.

And yeah, about my Daft Punk helmet... I really, REALLY need to finish that. And begin my Guy-Manuel Daft Punk helmet. >_> Nobody seemed interested in that, though, and I think people are unsure of if I can complete something... I have made a mask this winter though, but I don't want to further hijack the thread.

And begin my Guy-Manuel Daft Punk helmet. >_> Nobody seemed interested in that, though

I'm very interested in that! I'd love to see progress on it when you start it. It's my favorite of the two helmets.

Also, used the blue paint I bought, worked great. I really like this stuff. (y)

Nope, different company, but pretty much the same kind of product and name. The one linked is the Spanish-based Montana, while the one this thread was started for is the German-based Montana.

i got my spanish montana paints today... really nice!

their alien art concepts "replicant red" is now my favorite ROTJ visor color. so much better than the claret wine i've been using!!

no love on a better green though... the 2 that i got aren't any better than what i've been using.

the replicant red rocks though!

i'm definitely ordering some additional varieties.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back