What do you think of this color?

Just painted the dome on my RotJ with the green color mentioned in the RS list. Soviet Green. It's been said this color is so close to the RotJ helm that it's good right out of the bottle. I fear I may have done something wrong as the green I ended up with looks dead on ESB to me. I snapped a pic of my two helmets (the new, and my old RotJ, the green is rattlecan "Italian Olive" per the AFFO$ list) The old RotJ had "grimy black" misted over it before it was done.

Is it me? Or will the color I'm expecting be achieved through heavy weathering/misting?

I feel I must have screwed up somewhere, I know I got a thick enough coat.
:confused

(EDIT: rattlecan color corrected)

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin is a great guy and really talented. I would lean more towards that color being ESBish however it's all in what you do with it. I tend to sway on the POG heavily weathered for ROTJ but that is not gospel by any means.

We are testing a very old and rare color for ESB that Floquil quit producing in the stone age. Do it how you feel best suits your eye I would never want to sway anyone just based on research especially since the original painter (Sandy and Joe) don't remember the colors just the brand. If I can help please hit me up also Justin can help you a lot as well.

Justin is a great guy and really talented. I would lean more towards that color being ESBish however it's all in what you do with it. I tend to sway on the POG heavily weathered for ROTJ but that is not gospel by any means.

I agree with both points...
You'd be surprised just how a colour changes with either an over mist with darker colour or wash?

I snapped a pic of my two helmets (the new, and my old RotJ, the green is rattlecan "spruce green" per the AFFO$ list) The old RotJ had "grimy black" misted over it before it was done.

Is it me? Or will the color I'm expecting be achieved through heavy weathering/misting?

I feel I must have screwed up somewhere, I know I got a thick enough coat.
:confused

On my list 'spruce green' is the base color for the ESB bucket. 'Italian Olive' is the base green for the ROTJ helmet.

You got me, Italian Olive was the color. Sheesh, I have no clue why I remember it as a color I didn't even use. Maybe I'm getting "TDH Burnout" from looking at all these color lists!

:lol:wacko

The inputs given in this thread are invaluable. The whole thing is kind of on me
(as it's fairly obvious what color you're going to get if you look at the paint in the bottle.)
But hearing what you guys have to say has restored my confidence. I think I'll leave the current color, and try to achieve it in the wash.

Your color looks more yellow to me than POG, which has more blue. Is the name of it Russian Topside Green? That been my best guess for ROTJ, but I don't have another helmet to try it out on.

Lee, is the old Floquil color Navy Green for the back, or a replacement for POG?

The replacement color is for POG. I'll be using on the MR helmet I'm refitting and if it works I'll toss it out to everyone I just want to be sure to avoid nay sayers ill wishes.

One very important thing to remember it's all in the hands of the person painting the helmet on whether these colors perform properly. It depends greatly on the color you are spraying this on top of(primer gray, silver etc), percentage of thinning, density of application, ambient humidity and temp, type of airbrush used since some deliver paint in greater or lighter qty. It's an ambiguos science and results will vary. If you mix paints that is fine however you have to have the resolve that you are matching it to a photo and how the color reacted to ambient lighting and therefore may not be totally exacting in nature. Flourescents give off a different hue than halogen so if you paint match from a photo with that lighting it will be more blue or yellow in tonality. So just knowing the right color isn't enough I hate to say but if results are different doesn't mean the color is wrong but for the life of me I don't see how electing to mix vs. knowing the color is a better alternative.

If an experienced traveler hands you a map to assist your journey to point "B" why disregard wisdom and voluntarily plot your own navigation, only to end up off course and swear you are in the right location?

All the best

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

We are testing a very old and rare color for ESB that Floquil quit producing in the stone age. Do it how you feel best suits your eye I would never want to sway anyone just based on research especially since the original painter (Sandy and Joe) don't remember the colors just the brand. If I can help please hit me up also Justin can help you a lot as well.

I agree with Lee on this, Back when I painted that I used the color I went with to make up for alot of the weathering and other effects that are on top of the green. I think it still works well on that paint job but really its what you do to the green after that layer is done and in hind site I feel I used that color to avoid having to pile on as much weathering on top of it. But I think in the end you are the one staring at the helmet day in and day out so if it feels right to you in person then no color replacement is going to make it any better.

I agree with Lee on this, Back when I painted that I used the color I went with to make up for alot of the weathering and other effects that are on top of the green. I think it still works well on that paint job but really its what you do to the green after that layer is done and in hind site I feel I used that color to avoid having to pile on as much weathering on top of it. But I think in the end you are the one staring at the helmet day in and day out so if it feels right to you in person then no color replacement is going to make it any better.

If I may, what all did you do with the weathering on the Ripcode bucket? In your thread it says the weathering was accomplished with an airbrush and some fine grade steel wool.

-What colors were used for the final weathering?

-and how in the world did you avoid over-darkening your scratches? (this is a porblem I often have, by the time the main color of the helmet is weathered to my liking, the scratches have been far too dulled by the misting.) Did you mist, then polish up the scratches with the steel wool?

I belive I used a combination of overspraying it with weathered black, grimy black, and a custom black flat mix I made, rubbing off the exess with steel wool. I masked over the scratches with masking fluid and re tweaked them by dry brushing them with more silver with a micro brush.

Less is more and you want to build up a controlled random over coat of these colors to give some areas more of a darkness then others.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back