Cheap Boot Snap Installation Tutorial (PICS)

Foxbatkllr

Well-Known Hunter
Okay, so I didn't want to go to the cobbler and pay him to install some snaps in my boots for the shoe armor. I also didn't want to shell out a bunch of money for a professional snap setter. Here's the cheap as dirt method I came up with for installing the boot snaps.

Step 1: Drill a hole in the heel of your boots where the snap will be installed.

Step 2: Place the snap in the hole just like you would with any other snap.

Step 3: Purchase a 2" C-Clamp from Home Depot for $3.97

Step 4: Glue/Epoxy the pivoting end of the C-Clamp so that it won't move around when you clamp down.

Step 5: Take a Regular Snap Setter and cut off the end with a metal cutting wheel on your dremel

Step 6: Place the snap setter end into the snap just like you would any other time except now the setter is way too short to hit with a hammer.

Step 7: Place the clamp over the snap and start screwing down onto the setter. It may take a couple of tries but you will get it.

Step 8 (OPTIONAL): Epoxy the setter tip onto the clamp itself. It should increase stability, but your clamp will be permanently ruined (not too big of a loss considering it cost $4).

2314945437_59d60060e2_b.jpg

2314945441_92f973c732_b.jpg

2314945463_04f63bd944_b.jpg

2314945465_9df4c47474_b.jpg

2314945457_e2b3bf388c_b.jpg

Yeah I tried banging it in the old way, but it's too difficult. I couldn't get a hard enough surface on the inside of the shoe.

Great idea Donny! I might use this for setting snaps on all of my props. It looks 20 times easier than to try to use the hammer, it also leaves a perfect mushroom in the snap; often it shifts for me.

interesting idea fox...better than my method of jamming a piece of 2x4 into the heel and setting like normal...

Thanks guys...you may want to continue to use the old fashioned hammer method for most of your applications. This new device isn't quite perfect, but its a great alternative for those hard to reach areas where you just can't use a hammer. It can also help finish off those snaps that you just can't seem to get fully set.

Thanks a bunch for posting this. I just might have to redo mine ... I just used Goop. It works, but I don't know how much longer it will hold.:facepalm

That's awesome! It would have come in handy on my stormtrooper belt! I used the hammer tool and put too much pressure on in and it started to break the ABS...EEEK! it's all good now though.

Thanks for sharing! (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back