New member/got an idea

DACONA KAST

New Hunter
Hey everyone I'm a new member and have an idea of doind a mando cop. I work as a cop now and think it would be cool to build. I do have just a cupel of questions before I start

1. I tried to download the templates off of TDH but when i try to open them there is nothing, is there another place i can get them.

2. do I need a special printer to print out the back plate, the abdomin and the neck pieces they look pretty big.

3. I've seen many diffrent mediums to build with what is the best to use.

hey any feed back would be great and i'll start posting pic when i get started.

Welcome aboard Dk... (y)

Surprised the link doesn't work?

1. Will try and find the templates and post here? But what size are ya 'Med' or 'Large'

2. No you don't need a special printer - the templates are compiled so that a small amount of cutting/sticking (tape) together is required for the larger parts...

3. Tough one... Some use Metal, some use Sintra (Sign Foam board) the latter is easier to work with IMO... And I think that most use 3mm for the armour. Others may chime in with other suggestions... (y)

Hope thats of use...

5mm sintra is a better choice then 3mm, the extra thickness gives added depth to the plates making them appear more realistic and gives them a bit more durability. I use 3mm sintra for adding detail to the 5mm (Jango style greaves for example, 5mm for the actual shin armour and 3mm for the raised ridge down the centre).

Here's some templates if the TDH ones aren't working:

WOF Jango Fett Armour templates - KOTE Mandos

Thanks for the info... hey mojo I am most certain a large. also I've been checking out what other people use and some are using a trash can.... what are the pro's and con's of this. I'm good with my hands so i dont mind a little work as long as it comes out nic

hey Orthar downloads worked great, thank you..... what do you think of my idea of a mando cop..

I think the idea sounds pretty cool, do you have any drawings or anything of what you were planning? I think there were something like mando cops for a while, but they were called Mandalorian Protectors. Not totally sure if they were like police, but that's how someone described them to me

thanks apollo, I've done a little investigating and you are right they are called protectors.

I'm trying to get a drawing done so i can post it and have a good referance but I am not an artist. so I'm looking for a photo that i can possibly repaint or photoshop, but the basic thought is black flightsuit with dark gray plates. I'm wanting to use a real bullet proof vest as I have an old one and attach the plates to that. My plan is to have alot of battle damage and for it to look like I'm a bad dude.

the more I think about this, the cooler it sounds. I'm guessing you wouldn't have any massive guns as most cops just carry the sidearm, but you could still be decked out in small arms with maybe a nice e-11 sized blaster. This also gives you a terrific reason to put rank on your armor and something like MPD or KPD

Hey apollo thats what i'm thinking. I'll carry a modified blastec or E-ll and a small backup on my right boot. I was thinking of putting MPD on the shoulder plates and I'm looking for any ideas for a type of badge or symbol for the chest plate. if you or anyone else have any ideas let me know.

I'm going to start the paint on my helmet tomorrow and will post pics as I go.

Thanks Toragh, it worked like a dream, I cut out the chest, abs and shoulders today and am getting ready to do the back plate. I havent had this much fun sinces the movies were re-released.

I think it will be cool, I am having a hard time figuring out how to do the belt and holster, I dont know what to use. I thought I would use an old leather duty belt that I have but i dont know if that will fit anyone have any thoughts.

Sorry I am a bit late to this thread, but my internet was down for a few days. Felt like I was in the desert with no water!

Anyway, I used a trashcan, and it worked out okay. It's pretty easy to do, comes out looking pretty neat, and it's hard to beat the price. Also, spare parts are as close as the nearest 'mart' store.

A far as cons go...if you don't like the way the parts turn out, there is only so much you can do about it. I did not find out that the collar piece did not work right until after I painted, which makes me want to sob. I don't want to start all over from scratch, but there are not many other options.

As far as the belt goes, you have a lot of freedom of choice. A real world duty belt ought to work fine seeing as the purpose would be identical for the galaxy far, far away. Just make sure to add lots of weird shaped and sized pouches to make it look Star Wars-ish.

Great idea for a custom. I completely enjoy customs, and am working on one myself.

Using a trashcan is a very economical way to go, several people here have used them to great effect. Take a look at at the Arden "Lucky" Fisk thread, i believe she used a sterilite garbage can for hers and its.. impressive. Sintra is also a very good medium, alot of people use it to great effect. Cardboard has been used as well, i personaly havent seen any examples of it, but i hear it works well too.

Belts - well... there's many ways to do it. I myself am going to end up using a nylon duty belt and making a holster out of whatever odds and ends i can get my hands on. Its all up to you there, whatever fits with the look your going for :)

Dacona for a belt you can always look on ebay and at gun and knife shows for old world war belts and such i an useing some pouches on an old work belt and then im going to wet mold some leather for a custom holster you can find alot of neat leather belt items

Thanks everyone, this is my first costume build so I went for the trash can, I cut the pieses out the other night and got them painted and weathered, I still need to cut out the cod piece and the back plate because I got excited and started on the chest, leg and shoulder bells and got them painted up. my helmet came in yesterday so I sanded it down and started the paint. As I was sanding it I saw that it was a rubies. I had no idea rubies was junk untill I read the threads in here, but oh well its what I have and it will be good practice for when I can afford a better one. I need to start thinking about gauntlets but dont know what to make them out of or how. Are there any templats for them..... please keep the advice coming it helping alot..

hey rokein I did catch the arden "lucky" fisk thread and I think I might use the coat idea but with some personal changes. Pics to come ( I hope )

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back