Flightsuit weathering?

jawafive

Active Hunter
Just wondering what the best method for weathering a flightsuit was? Also, what are the most weathered areas of the suit? I was thinkin of weathering with some brown/khakis, but am not sure. I would love to hear your opinions.

-Matt

I used rattle cans (vinyl and carpet auto paint) it doesn't wash out like the others. you would want to weather around the shin tools ankle and pouch areas more.

just hold the can off about 2 feet away so you get that misting effect. be sure you hit your boots too so that it blends. the best way to do it is to have a friend you trust spray you while you have the suit on. that way, the weathering effect falls into the right places naturally. be sure to post pics so we can see your results.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean you guys...wash your jumpsuits?!

I just use Rattle cans myself, I'll have to look into the vinyl and carpet autopaint though, any specifics you recommend?

after a day of trooping Andy, those suits can get pretty ripe :lol:. I just wash the top half in the sink and then hang dry. believe me, masking the thing with cologne does not work. a little Fabreeze maybe but after 3 or 4 outings and that sucker is ready for tub.

What colors do you boys recommend? I've seen people use theatrical mud/ dirt and oil, but like all types of make up, it usually washes out.

Yeah, I wash mine too. I know our favorite Mandolorian has a lot of weapons. Could eye watering body odor have been one of them?

I went with permanent weathering for mine; Tan, Red Brown, Dull Black and Gray. Misted the colors onto the fabric and viola, instant permanent weathering.

An alternative to spray paint is soot and ashes. Of course it will wash out which may be a good thing. :lol: I've thought about using artist chalks, browns, blacks, and greys, but haven't gotten that far yet. :)

If you want some texture to the weathering you could use the Flecstone (sp)paints. Not really screen accurate but the effect does look good in person...have not seen this on a Fett, but it did look excellent on a tusken raider

Tea or coffee (or both) in concentrated areas, leave to soak for a while. May take a few repetitions to get it right. They really get into the fibres.

You can use floral spray paints from Michaels. That's how I did my wife's Leia Endor poncho. The spray is permanent and flexible and comes in a variety of earth tones.

i wear overalls for my job and the grease that gets on my work ones never fully comes out. it's a castrol brand not sure which one i'm currently weathering mine with that. less is more i think.

I'm gonna try a mix of rattle can/charcoal. Get the areas along seams with charcoal and on the pouches and such, then rattle can it some where it needs some nice heavy weathering.

El1te

Hey, I figured I'd post a pic of what my suit looks like with some weathering. I tried charcoal at first and it was working....but it is messy. Honestly, airbrush or rattlecans are all you need. Just make sure it is nice and dirty... it is crazy how much the flash of a camera washes out the dirt...

DSCF0028-1.jpg

DSCF0031-1.jpg

A shot with flash and one without... It was cold and yucky outside so I couldn't take any in natural daylight... when I get the chance I will do that. But Andy was right, make it filthy :)

Don't laugh at the incompletion of my costume haha, it is still in the works :p

El1te

Another good way to weather your coveralls is to go paintballing with them on, not so much for the paint from the paintballs is much as the dirt and grim that you'll pick up in the process. I've weathered tac-vest for my Stargate costume quite nicely by doing the same thing, ran around with it on for paintballing and brushed off the more caked on crud but the vest still looks nice and used. You'll probably also want to eat with it on and not be afraid to spill food and drink on yourself in the process, any foods with sauces and gravies would probably stain your flightsuit rather nicely I'd think. I tend to be a bit clumsy when eating and I don't know how many white or light colored t-shirts that have (small) permanent splatter stains on them; if that happens by accident imagine what you could do on purpose.

Grease would also be a good substance to use to weather your flightsuit. You figure that Boba Fett has probably done countless hours of work on Slave I and his armor and weapons in his flightsuit so grease stains would be pretty natural.

Yeah, I play paintball... I don't know how effective that would be tho... I always came out covered in blue and yellow heh.

My friend offered to let me roll around in his oil pan haha, I considered it but that would cause such a mess... all the weathering on my suit was done with rattlecans and it looks pretty authentic, atleast to me.

El1te

Yeah, I play paintball... I don't know how effective that would be tho... I always came out covered in blue and yellow heh.

My friend offered to let me roll around in his oil pan haha, I considered it but that would cause such a mess... all the weathering on my suit was done with rattlecans and it looks pretty authentic, atleast to me.

El1te

You're right, the paint by itself really wouldn't work well; red, blue, & yellow splotches would look a bit funny but then again it could always be explained as being alien blood. :) But what I was really thinking more of was the dirt and grime that you'd pick from running and rolling around in the dirt &/or mud while paintballing and the paint would probably help some of that dirt & grime stick. However, my experience with paintball weathering does come from a mesh tac-vest and all the dirt & grime got sort of trapped by the mesh but at the same time it did stick pretty well to the pouches (which aren't mesh) even being sprayed down with a spray and scrubbing with stiff bristled brush, I have no idea how well it will (permanently) dirty up a Fett flightsuit or if it will even stay after washing.

Rolling around in an oil pan is certainly a novel way of weathering clothing, a bit overkill perhaps but it probably has merit if done correctly. Kneeling in oil would probably be good for getting the legs dirtied up and maybe a little wiping of the hands on the sides of the pants as well to simulate grease from working on Slave 1. Random drips here and there across the chest, back, and arms would help simulate that look too but too much oil would probably make you look more like Boba Fett the Grease Monkey instead of Boba Fett the Bounty Hunter.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back