CHARLIE's DONE!! (for now) *PIC HEAVY*

charlie

Hunter
Woot! Finally got my Fett finished up. Here's some pics outside and at the event we did later that evening. (And yes, it's not 100% screen accurate. And there are still several things I want to do to it. A Fett is never really finished *grin*) Feel free to post comments and constructive criticism! (and point out the differences from a "real" ESB Fett!)

Charlie

104_1524.jpg

104_1523.jpg

104_1522.jpg

104_1521.jpg

104_1520.jpg

104_1517.jpg

104_1516.jpg

104_1515.jpg

Its a really great start bro. So you want constructive critism huh. Well, heres a bit friendly advice to start you off. I'm afraid your blaster is ROTJ, and your gauntlets are ROTJ too(the left in particular). Also, I would like to see a different weathering pattern on your armour & the suit overall is a bit too "clean". Again, great so far, but you asked for comments. ;)
D

Very good so far, especially the Pack. It looks great. Here is my list of what i spotted that you need to correct though;

- RotJ Blaster, you need the ESB one instead, way big difference
- RotJ Gauntlets, you have the right paint, but the wrong gauntlets.. especially the flamethrower on your left one. Its a pipe setup and not a square housing with nozzles.
- RotJ Boot Spats, ESB Boba doesnt wear spats, just the straps you have on your ankles on the jumpsuit, if its a LadySweforus like i think it is (ive got 2 of my own)
- RotJ Vest, wrong colour and needs much needed weathering, you need a less shiney greyish shade if you have a jumpsuit that blue or it looks too much out of place
- RotJ Girthbelt, you need a brown one and not the red. You can sell it or dye it to fix that :D
- Ya need more of an overall weathering, not just on the leg pouches, especially at the ankles to knees
- On your Knees and Shoulders, the Orange Knees and Shoulder needs to be more yellow with a mist of orange, and the yellow Shoulder needs to be duller, it looks like you have used a brilliant yellow, when you needed a camel yellow.
- Weathering on the Backplate.. many people miss it thinking it wont be seen, but it will be more than you realise, especially in the sides and the upper back portion.

Personally (as im a very Biased RotJ Fett in the Making :D) id stay a RotJ Fett and repaint a few things, but you might as well do up a pure ESB as well :D your halfway there for both sets it seems :p Hope this helps ya out, and i hope i dont sound harsh, but some consilidation, what you have done is awesome, just some of it isnt that accurate for what you are after :)

As other folks have said, you've got an ESB/RotJ hybrid going on. It looks like you're closer to Special Edition than you are either movie proper (ESB helmet with RotJ everythingelse)

If you swap/bleach out the flight suit and repaint the gauntlets and jet pack you'd be SE. To go ESB you'll need new gauntlets (or maybe you could modify yours... I don't know if it's as simple as removing the flamethrower housing and replacing it with the bar thingy) and a new blaster.

My other bit of advice is posture. I still struggle with this. You have a natural tendency to lean back from the position / weight of the backpack.

If you look at your upper body, you have a distinct backward angle going on. Same with your head... because you're leaning back, the front of the helmet is nearly touching the chest armor.

If you're standing up straight, that won't happen.

Just a quick question for you ... because this has happened to me. Is the collar armor connected to the jet pack in any way or is the harness the only thing holding the jet pack on? The reason I ask is because it looks like the collar armor is being pulled back. This use to happen to me, and it is a real choking effect. If the jet pack is pulling the collar armor, I would strongly recommend you get that adjusted.

Thanks for the comments guys! I should have explained earlier, when I said it's not 100% screen accurate, it's not meant to be. It *is* a hybrid ESB/ROTJ Fett. I took the elements that I liked from each one (like the ESB paintjob, the ROTJ blaster and flamethrower) and combined them to make my Fett. (Kinda like comic book license, if you will).

Defintely thanks for the advice on posture. It's proving difficult to get the "stance" of Boba Fett down, esp since i need someone else here to be able to put the armor on.

Jimmy, the jet pack is NOT connected to the collar armor at all. HOWEVER, the collar armor IS getting pulled up. (I had a nice red mark across my chest&neck from that when the event was over. Right now....I'm not exactly sure WHY that's happening, but I'm going to be reworking the harness so hopefully I can elminate that.

Charlie

Thanks for the comments guys! I should have explained earlier, when I said it's not 100% screen accurate, it's not meant to be. It *is* a hybrid ESB/ROTJ Fett. I took the elements that I liked from each one (like the ESB paintjob, the ROTJ blaster and flamethrower) and combined them to make my Fett. (Kinda like comic book license, if you will).

just for curiosity, are you planning to do send this in to the 501st as an official costume, or keeping it casual?

i'm always curious about how one garrison judges stuff vs. another... i'm fairly sure we wouldn't approve a hybrid.

as far as the collar goes... maybe the harness is causing the vest to pull back somehow?

I do like the concept you have going with the hybrid fett. The thing that, for me, takes away from your outfit is the weathering on the armor. It's just too big and too round. I say go back and do some latex/vaseline/mustard/whatever masking and make it a little more random. Take what you like from the ROTJ/ESB/SE suit scratches and marks and then replicate as possible. It will give you a much more realistic effect that I think ultimately you will be much happier with in the end.

This is a great effort you have going though. It looks strange to see the ROTJ guantlets in green, but in a good way.

The weathering on the armor and on the jumpsuit are the main areas I'm looking at fixing. The suit has good weathering on parts of it, but unfortunately some areas are just too glaringly clean. The entire suit IS actually weathered with various dyes and colours, but esp on the upper arms and midriff, it just doesn't show up at a distance very well. I'll be working on that today.

As far as the armor goes, I'm actually thinking about stripping it down entirely and repainting it. The "random damage" method I used on the helmet gave it a good look and feel (IMHO) but it just didn't work out well with the armor. i'm going to start looking for some better pictures of the armor than what I have right now and see if I can do a better job of replicating the ESB damage.

Charlie

nice job buddy. don't loop your belt pouches onto the ammo belt, pin them behind the belt. pull your pack up a little higher and your suit needs to be a little more grayer. it is too blue. and just about everything else the above members mentioned too. other than that, your on your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy, the jet pack is NOT connected to the collar armor at all. HOWEVER, the collar armor IS getting pulled up. (I had a nice red mark across my chest&neck from that when the event was over. Right now....I'm not exactly sure WHY that's happening, but I'm going to be reworking the harness so hopefully I can elminate that.

It happened to me all the time when my collar armor was not connected to the vest. I think the jet pack harness straps can pull the back armor down if the slits in the vest are too low. If this happens, the collar armor will be pulled back since it is connected to the back armor.

The left Shoulder armor looks yellow compared to the other shoulder and knees. I would keep the yellow, mask off the damage and add the orange color over it.

The left Shoulder armor looks yellow compared to the other shoulder and knees. I would keep the yellow, mask off the damage and add the orange color over it.

The left shoulder *is* yellow. It's supposed to be yellow compared to orange on the other shoulder and the knees.

Charlie

It happened to me all the time when my collar armor was not connected to the vest. I think the jet pack harness straps can pull the back armor down if the slits in the vest are too low. If this happens, the collar armor will be pulled back since it is connected to the back armor.

Yeah, but my collar armor is also NOT connected to the back armor. The only thing I was thinking is: back armor connected to vest. collar armor connected to vest. jet pack pulls the back armor down -> collar armor gets pulled up.

Charlie

Ok, I've decided to totally redo the weathering on the armor. Here's the left side; please note the yellow has not been painted on, this was a test run to see how the weathering would come out. I'm happy with it though, and I think I'm just going to add the yellow and move along...:) Special thanks to Mojo for the up close ESB armor pics! Oh, the lighting isn't the best in here, but it'll have to do for now.

Charlie

LS.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back