okay, new at this, and slightly overwhelmed...

caffeine queen

New Hunter
especially after reading that sticky on costs! (Forget drinking, this will be one expensive habit!) And slightly in awe...there's some really awesome looking stuff floating around here. Finally decided I'd better join...why deny it any longer!
Anyways, just wanted to know some reasons on why people chose Boba, Jango, or what is it, mando?
Right now, I don't have the time, money, or room to really start something like this, but there's got to be a small way to start. I'm having a hard time narrowing down who to be, and would like to hear how others made their decisions. If you'd like to post them.
If I'm rambling, sorry, I'm on the 8pm to 8am shift at work, and the lack of sleep is getting to me. (Hence the screen name-:))
Thanks,
trish

Well, since I cant sleep much either, I guess I'll chime in. I dont have a suit...yet for myself, but I do know that I want to do a Jango.

I guess, first off, you just have to decided which one you like better or what you want to try to do. Some things to consider, is that for example, painting something to look fairly decent, its much harder to paint a boba ESB helmet, then say a Jango helmet.

I cant say much for costs, other then its going to be alot. But then again, your suit will only be as good as to how much time, effort and money you put into it.

What I notice, is that for Fett/mando suits, unlike clone/tk armor, you get pretty much all the basic parts you need, whereas here, you either scratch build the pieces you need, or collect them from a bunch of other makers or where ever. The best way for the sake of not bankrupting yourself from this, is to just piece it together over time, rather then trying to get it all at once.

For instance, due to cirtain circumstances, Im dropping the idea of getting a clone or any other set of armor. Im just going to start piecing a Jango together, because I cant afford to pay upwards of 4-500 bucks at once. Before I ever knew anything about costuming/prop building as a hobby, I wanted to do jango. Wouldnt be here with out that intent in the first place.

Just choose who you want to do, plan it out to how you want to accomplish getting there, like setting goals for yourself. I started with the helmet, because I know that even if I may not be able to complete the whole suit, I have sort of the "centerpiece" of it, and makes a great display as well. Goodluck!

-tubachris

Welcome Caffeine Queen to TDH!!

It all comes down to which character you like most and your budget as I think Boba is somewhat more expensive and time consuming than Jango. I for one am doing Jango because he is my favorite character in SW and he is also the reason I became a fan of SW (my avatar should be a Jango but its too damn cool :lol:)

Like I said do what your heart tells you! ;)

Anyways, just wanted to know some reasons on why people chose Boba, Jango, or what is it, mando?

Welcome to TDH CQ,

To answer one of your questions, well for me I chose Boba Fett. I was going to go with a Jango Fett costume, because I liked jango's armor(y). But In the end I went with the character that first started it all for me.........8)

Hi Trish and welcome. The only thing keeping me from starting this is indeed the money, but it can be done and this is the place to be to do it.

I love your "name". Caffiene is a staple here in the Palpatine headquarters. We can run out of just about anything, but running out of coffee is NEVER accepted here.

Cheers
Debbi

especially after reading that sticky on costs! (Forget drinking, this will be one expensive habit!) And slightly in awe...
Right now, I don't have the time, money, or room to really start something like this, but there's got to be a small way to start.
trish
I thought the same thing when I decided to start my mando but if you start small and work on one thing at a time, it's not so bad. What i planned to do is buy a peice (I started with the helmet) and work on it while I save for the next peice. Once my helmet is finished I plan to get the armor work on it then go to the flightsuit or something. so forth and so on. you have loads of help here so settle in and figure out what you want and enjoy.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. CQ!
Once the overwhelming feeling of choosing a costume passes you will then be struck with another feeling, the overwhelming feeling of "what to do first?!"

I didn't choose to take on Boba, he chose me... When I was about 5 years old.
I remember sitting in front of the TV watching ESB, and my brother and I talking about which costume we wanted the most. He desperately wanted a stormtrooper and of course I wanted a Boba Fett suit.
So here I am, deeper in debt and loving every minute of it!

Like the others said.
Pick which character (& which version) you REALLY want to do.
Then, start picking up small stuff since you are strapped for cash at the moment.
things like darts, spats, girth belts & shin tools are cheap items.
Then if you have skills, start painting or sewing parts for others & sell them
that way your costume won't really cost you much out of pocket.
That's the way I went
if I were to total up what I've been paid to paint ,
and match that against what I've actually paid for,
my costume was most likely free.

Oh yeah,
Welcome aboard

Greetings, caffeine!

Great first step: decide on which character you want to be. To keep a long story short and simple, I chose because I can relate to the character. When you decide which character you'd like to put the costume together for, I would encourage you to do a character that you really like.(y)

Cool screen name. :lol: I agree, choose which character you want to be, then build up a costume. This explains why my Pre Pro 2 Fett is only about 10% complete. :lol:

Couple of ideas. Instead of going for a specific character, Jango, Boba etc. you could go the custom Mando route. Very cool looking suits and more creative freedom. IMHO.

Consider scratch-building some of your costume. Seriously, If I can do it, anyone can. When I first started, the closest I'd ever been to a jigsaw was a puzzle. :D

The armor is very straight-forward. (See the sticky in the Armor section.) There are also templates on making a helmet, jet pack, gauntlets just about anything. I'd say the armor is the easiest and you should try it first. (y)

I was amazed at what people have made out of "For Sale" signs and bondo. BTW, I'd never used bondo until last December.

I have to agree with Southern Hunter - customs are much cheaper to make and they can turn out looking great. That is if you arent stuck on either Jango or Boba.

I started out making a Boba (three years ago) and a few thousand dollars and a ton of time later I just couldnt do it and make it look 'screen accurate'... and if I was going to wear it - it had to be 'perfect' in my eyes. I sort of finished it and wore it once for Halloween this past year.

Now I am making a custom - from scratch, I am not using the stuff I already did for the Boba - and total so far it has cost me about $80 bucks... and that's actual metal (aluminum) armor and a new helmet...

Either way - you can find all sorts of cheap materials to use for your project - the Sintra, the trash-can plastic, signs... once you start looking everything kind of starts to become a potential costume building item.

=)

Yes, use whatever you can. It dosnt always have to be made from some super industrial resin or metal all the time. I found that the "no parking" signs you can get at home depot are a great source of styrene. Just use that, some hot glue, touch up with some bondo, and your good to go

Welcome CQ! My wife shares your passion for caffeine, too.

My two cents is that doing a costume can get overwhelming if you let it. Always remember, in the end, you're not in this for anyone other than yourself. So, as many have already said, take your time and do it piece by piece.

I have wanted to have a storm trooper costume ever since I was three and saw Star Wars for the first time. Now that I am older, I'm also wider, and I'd look like the kid from Blue Harvest ("Aren't you a little FAT for a Storm Trooper?":lol:) Eventually, I'd like to have an EpIII Clone, but for now, while I struggle with my weight, I'm going the Custom Mando route. I've already got my Scratch Built helmet, gauntlets, and front armor semi-finished (still a few tweaks to go before it's fully wearable).

What I did (okay, what my WIFE let me do...:lol:) was limit myself to a maximum of $50 a month as a budget. So far, I think I've spent around $150 and about 100 hours since October of last year making what I have so far. It has the added advantage of being therapeutic. :)

So, again, take your time, have fun, and most important - pick ONE costume at a time to work on.

Best of luck!

David.

Hi and welcome Trish!

Before I decided to join the 501st with my first sandtrooper costume, I really wanted a Boba Fett costume because of the mystery and coolness that the character eminates. So after having enough experience in making a sandtrooper, biker scout and clonetrooper, I decided it's time to make my long time dream to be the mysterious Boba Fett. I knew about the cost and I wanted to make sure that I have the skills to successfully make one so I don't waste my time and money. Another reason for choosing to make a Boba Fett costume is that he is one of the most recognized character in the SWOT. So, welcome to TDH and good luck with your "Fett" quest!

-Gene

i chose boba because he was one of the most memorable characters when i saw star wars when i was younger. and his elusiveness and mystery made his character appealing.

esb was his first movie appearance, thus my favorite.

prepro is pretty sweet too.

jango might be one of the only good things i like about the prequels, but he's too clean for me.

make sure you want the costume before you get the costume

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back