My budget Bucket Progress

Here's the part I'm having major trouble with... the inside visor area.
I really want to file it down so it's got the proper groove for the visor to fit into it.

Oh wow, thats pretty bad. It looks as if the cheek portion just melds with the visory area. Im not sure what I would do, maybe sand down as flat as possible, so that its not so much at an angle, and just bondo up an elevated strip along the edge?

Thats probably how I would go about doing it

It's been really tough to sand... even with my dremel with a sanding drum. It's at an awkward angle too. See the white that seems to be sanded off at the edges? That's from a dremel at high speed for about 5 minutes... just bounces off, practically.

I think a reeeeeeaaaaaally high grit large file would at least make a dent in it... I'll let you guys know when I try it, lol. It's really thick fiberglass! (Nobody will ever accuse the guy who cast this as being cheap on the fiberglass!)

very nice work buddy. not an "ugly duckling" anymore is she?? :lol:
Thanks, brother!
Yeah... she started out in life with little to brag about! lol
But she's polishing up like a new penny!

Now, if I can only find a store in this city (Ottawa, Ontario) that sells the right shade of visor!

Nice start... (y)
Man that dent looks very similar to the FPH dent?

That's because the "Mystery Helmet" has lineage to the real helmet ;)

Just an FYI, the FPH dent is a 100 % scratch sculpt, as seen on the progress pics I have on my site linked to the original FPH thread. It is not from an MH base. You might note when you compare an MH dent with the FPH, that the FPH dent is much larger.

Your bucket is looking good bro !!

:cheers

FP

That's because the "Mystery Helmet" has lineage to the real helmet ;)

Just an FYI, the FPH dent is a 100 % scratch sculpt, as seen on the progress pics I have on my site linked to the original FPH thread. It is not from an MH base. You might note when you compare an MH dent with the FPH, that the FPH dent is much larger.

Your bucket is looking good bro !!

:cheers

FP

Just saying that they do look similar in shape/profile Chris... :p

Thanks guys!
Any comparison to something as well done as the FPH is certainly a plus in my books! I agree.. the dent on mine is pretty small in comparison.

Everyone here is really helpful! I wasn't anticipating such excellent feedback on this ugly duckling from such well respected forum members! Thanks again guys!

Oh, I know mate, no big deal at all, seriously. I was just heading off the possibility of someone thinking I used an MH dent, just in case :lol:

FP
When you have a quality product, like you do FP, nobody can blame you for ensuring that people understand the work and the detail that went into it.

The MH is at least a 2nd gen recast in any form it comes in, if I'm not mistaken.
People have got to understand that they're getting an amazing piece of art, when they buy a first gen cast of something like your helmet.

Hiya folks..

Got a little work done on this sucker today.
Still need to add some lighter grey some of the scratches and damage.

I attached the ears and RF to see how she looks... the righty is not quite aligned (but it does line up when I loosen it up and straighten it)

Still need a good link to a visor, if anyone knows of a good deal. I've tried a few links but they won't ship to Canada for less than the cost of the visor! (eg. I found a visor for $14.99 but the shipping is $17!!)

DSCF2573.JPG

DSCF2575.JPG

DSCF2582.JPG

DSCF2583.JPG

DSCF2587.JPG

DSCF2588.JPG

DSCF2591.JPG

DSCF2592.JPG

DSCF2595.JPG

wow... I turn away for 5 mins!! very nice work so far. (y)

Once your done with all the colours and your happy with it... try applying a 'acrylic wash' over it to tone down the colours and shine? (and or) a matt finish lacqure... ;)

dude, i felt bad for you. now i just hate you. naa dude jk , that bucket looks great. about the visor ,i know i saw a thread around , something about a # 5 welding shield; did you check rebrant ? oh,is that bucket bigger than a dp 95.

Great progress going on there stellardude. Why don't you get some acrylic sheet and form your own visor? It's pretty straightforward and if you get the 3mm sheet it keeps the helmet nice and strong.

Great progress going on there stellardude. Why don't you get some acrylic sheet and form your own visor? It's pretty straightforward and if you get the 3mm sheet it keeps the helmet nice and strong.
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

That's some good advice about the acrylic sheet... can you get that at most Home Depots?

We don't have any welding supply stores here in Ottawa, Ontario from what I've found. The closest thing had like a shade 1 or 2 shield (basically clear with a hint of green) ... and that's about it.

The grey is a little on the dark side (no pun intended) but it's the bottom layer... I'm going to do the lighter greys today. :)

It's a Mystery sized helmet, Silver n Black Trooper. I've never seen a DP95 but my understanding is that it's about 3/4 of the way between DP95 and Movie Sized. There's one pic in this thread with me trying it on... and I have a pretty big noggin.. but the proportions look good! I'm 5'10" 210lbs. It'll be pretty tight in there once I get some fans and padding.

Found a shade 5 green visor today FINALLY! After two weeks of asking around at local stores, a nice old gentleman at Home Depot pointed me to a safety supply store that had them in stock for $9 each!! (Now if only they took cash, I would be installing it as we speak.... but, since my wife took my debit card this morning, and only left cash in my wallet... I will have to patiently wait until tomorrow. lol)

Got my visor today! Wow, that's hard to cut with a dremel! I finally got it cut with a band saw and had fun spending the next 2 hours sanding and buffing it into the perfect shape.

I'm doing the t-bolt method... temporarily in there with crazy glue (on the t-bolts, not on the visor). It's not in there as tight as I want it to be... that will come next week.

Here are a few pictures with the visor installed... still need to dirty the helmet up a bit... but the colours are how I want them, pre-weathering.

Also... notice how green the visor looks in picture #2 compared to the rest... just goes to show you how lighting can make the green visor look smoked... but it IS green in all the pictures. (just a note on the MR Mod thread)

(P.S. I am VERY happy with the size of this helmet! My nose does press up against the visor a bit, but I think it looks darn good on my frame!)

DSCF2596.JPG

DSCF2597.JPG

DSCF2600.JPG

DSCF2602.JPG

DSCF2603.JPG

DSCF2635.JPG

DSCF2638.JPG

DSCF2642.JPG

DSCF2646.JPG

DSCF2648.JPG

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back