Spidey's 300 Spartan Helmet

Spideyfett

Well-Known Hunter
:)Decided to take a little break from the JB Project and finally get around to painting my Spartan helmet for an upcoming Prop Party....I've had this prop sitting in a box for months now.

This was a really fun and easy project...prep work, painted and weathered the whole thing in less than 24 hours...:p

*I wanted to make a Spartan Helmet that was somewhere in between the movie version, as seen on screen, and the real prop version.
Thanks Braks and Got Maul for posting your awesome pics...(y)

Special thanks to:
SEEKER for a great helmet sculpt, and who's helmet I modeled my battle damage after.(y)

Fettpride for outstanding fiberglass work.(y)

And Got Maul, for suggesting what paints I should use..and for the great work he's done with his new 300 Board...(y)

Enjoy..
(y)

i19564_Spartan1.jpg

i19565_Spartan1a.jpg

i19566_Spartan1b.jpg

i19567_Spartan4.jpg

i19568_Spartan3.jpg

i19569_Spartan5.jpg

i19570_Spartan2.jpg

i19571_Spartan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex needs to just lay down the 9-5, and go scout out a prop studio and paint full time !

That is incredible :eek: I think that has to be the best paint up I've seen on one of those yet (y)

FP

WHHAAAAATT???? You have got to be kidding me! That is one VERY impressive job ... how on Earth did you get it done so fast?

Thanks Scott....these castings come pretty clean, so other than some light sanding and some addtional pin holes, then going at it with a dremel for the scratches it was a pretty easy paint job.

Alex needs to just lay down the 9-5, and go scout out a prop studio and paint full time !

That is incredible :eek: I think that has to be the best paint up I've seen on one of those yet (y)
FP

:lol:..I wish I could pick up and go work for one of those studios, do they pay much?;)

Since the helmet is one of the last pieces I need to acquire for my gear, I'm extra envious of this stellar paint job.

Awesome work.

Awsome! Makes me wish I had the body for a Spartan! :lol:
Ya, me too.:lol:

Per request of one of the spartan guys.. here are some Build up pics..

After the prep work I felt that the helmet needed some addtional pin holes or texturing...so I used a Rustoleum Hammered Black.(y)

Primed with Kylon Bright Red, used Kylon Gold as the base color, and Kylon Copper for the base med tones..weathered with burnt umber, and black acrylic...(y)

hope that helps.(y)

sprep1.jpg

sprep2.jpg

sprep3.jpg

sprep4.jpg

sprep5.jpg

its better i don't have one lol.

any time i'd enter a room wearing it i'd always scream "this is sparta!"

that is a fantastic helmet though. 24 hours? sheesh.

I got to see this helmet in person today, and...wow! The paintjob is absolutely unbelievable in person!

Thinking of 300 props now... :)

Alex,
Incredible work! What techniques did you use? Did you apply the midtones and scotchbrite or sand the highlight areas or did you use washes with the acrylics? Truly outstanding!!(y)

WOW!

Very nice paint job man. Nice helmet too.:lol:

Sorry I got your message late. I was helping my wife push.

Turo

WOW!

Very nice paint job man. Nice helmet too.:lol:

Sorry I got your message late. I was helping my wife push.

Turo

Trust me, you had more important things to think about other than paint color..:lol:..so no biggie... and Congrats my friend:cheers, now your money will really fly out the door, and not on props!:lol:

And thank you everyone for all your kind words so far.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back