"Curtis" Cronin-Bad Business

Gee2

Active Hunter
Hello,
I am fairly new to this board and did not set out with the intention of causing a stir; however, I recently brokered a deal with Curtis Cronin; “Curtis” was offering up his entire ROTJ Fett suit for the sum of $2000 plus shipping.
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=23663

Since I’ve spent some time in the 501st and gained the knowledge that this is a great bargain for a beginning Fett costume I jumped on it. Curtis and I shared several PMs about the suit, what it included, sizes, etc. before I chose to make the purchase. We agreed on the following items for the price of $2000 plus $200 shipping
in a pm dated 1/28;
kk well hmm it has

sgt. fang helmet
mlc armor
old goldsmen jet pack is what im told
ruffkintoy gauntlets
homemade jumpsuit
hme made rotj ee-3 made by simon fett
cab boots
russ boot spikes
girth belt got here on the tdh
side pouchs got her on tdh
gloves are real gloves with no interior
cape home made
amo belt got here on tdh
spats got from tdh
wookie braids got here on tdh

let me know what ya think
Curtis also included his DP ’95 and Sintra armor after I asked for more pics
Originally Posted by Gee2

Curtis,

Can you send me an updated picture of everything please? Trying to find out what little bits I may need to complete the suit.

Thanks,

Jason

His response dated1/29

kk the only think that will need to be finished is the chest and helmet but im sending the armor from the pics too and ill take some pics from my cell sorry its the only camera i have

thanks
curtis

These are the images he sent

0129082131bfm2.jpg

0129082131czx6.jpg

0129082132ys3.jpg

0129082133jm5.jpg

0129082134xi3.jpg
[/I

At this point I finalized the deal and overnighted Curtis $2300 in USPS money orders; $2000 for the suit, $200 for shipping and an extra $100 for express delivery back to me with insurance. This afternoon I received my suit in 5 separate boxes with theses contents

old goldsmen jet pack
ruffkintoy gauntlets
homemade jumpsuit
home made rotj ee-3
cab boots
girth belt, side pouches, gloves
cape, ammo belt
spats
wookie braids
DP 95 w/ broken RF
Sintra armor

Notice there was no mention of Sgt. Fang helmet, MLC armor or the toe spikes in what arrived. I could have overlooked the spikes as a simple mistake, which could be remedied by sending after the fact but not a helmet and full set of unfinished armor when he assured me everything was packed and ready to go after I confirmed he received the money orders Friday afternoon.
Now as I stated above, my intent was not to jump in with guns blazing at the first perceived slight but I do believe Curtis was under the impression that he could get away with this. I’ve sat on this for over two hours after trying to each Curtis both through e-mail and pm from this board, explaining that if he did not provide an answer and remedy that I would go through with this posting among other things, I have yet to receive any correspondence from him. I fully intend to pursue this legally and above board but I thought that the information should be shared so that others can weigh their options before dealing with Curtis in the future

V/R,
Jason Childers

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd wait a little longer than 2 hours, since he may still be working, or researching what happened. Also, did he tell you how many boxes were shipping? Could another one be lost in the mail, or at least delayed?

Sorry if I missed something...

Sorry should have clarified on the time frame, he contacted me at noon after I requested the tracking info. and since I questioned him (3 hrs. later) I've heard nothing.

And yes, normally I wouldn't have raised an issue; however, $2300, confirmation of all pieces prior to shipping with photos, delivery without major pieces and no issue with packaging. Smacks of rip off to me.

There was no issue in shipping, he stated Friday that 5 boxes would ship, and all five arrived with no damage and there was no way to pack any other pieces into the boxes he shipped.

Truly not the way I wanted to handle this but wasn't left much of an option as I see it.

I agree with the others bro, give it a bit more time. besides, to call someone out on here is always frowned upon as you should always try to resolve the issues with the seller first. sometimes people have a lot going on and take longer getting stuff out and sometimes it gets ugly which ultimatley turns into a verbal dispute. hope you guys work it out and that you get what you paid for.

I'm sure there was a misunderstaning that can be worked out over PM. Just give him (at least) a day to answer you back. Not everyone is online more than once or on for extended periods of time.

So let me get this straight, $2300 gone, the guy lies about shipping the items (read the first post where he stated everything was packed for shipment) and then states teh reason he sent the other armor and DP helmet was becasue he felt bad (when this was part of teh deal we bartered), refuses to answer even though he was on earlier this afternoon and I'm wrong for calling him out publically? Ok sure.

BTW, here's his reasoning sent via PMs just a few minutes ago;

that armor was in a problem state i really thout i sent a pm aftyer the tracking numbers bout that :facepalm but the helmet got cracked thats y i sent the dp and the armor my grandma lost a chest pice i can seend you back like 220 or ill order anothe set and send it to you if you want really sorry bout that i swear i sent a pm bout that sorry for the miss and late msg

mlc armor was 110
and fang is 100

okay i have an idea im going to send you my armor and helmet from my suit i just started haha kk it will be there thursday that okay lmk ;)

sorry for this and there sgt. fang and mlc the my extra set i got :D ill order up another for me

lmk soon

So what was it about patience...

I'm not going to express an opinion either way on this, but I will say that I have had dealings with Curtis in the past and I haven't had any problems.

hey well im sorry for what happen but sertain parts got broken and i have my extra parts that im sendin to you tomorrow and you sent only 300 for shippin but then requested over night what cost me $550 ouchy but i didnt say anythin but the parts your missing will be sent out tomorrow over night sorry for the problem :/

you didnt have to make this public ether to make me look bad gezz im a truthfull guy i havent lied to you at all and i stated it was packed ready to ship but that was my packing and my grandma at her shop repacked everything better

bllllahhh man hate s*** like this ive done nothing wrong :/ i guess im just going to leave the forum foe a while after this is fixed but ill be back when i have a job to make a esb fett bye all who know me and thanks to all who have been nice to me in the past and helped me with my rotj fett

bye
curtis

Quit quad-posting, grow some gett'se. He's just a very jumpy buyer.

Though you should have sent him a PM before you sent out the other stuff to tell him what was going on.

At this point Curtis has stated that he will make good, as long as this happens I will let this drop.

As far as "jumpy buyer", or not having any patience, it's possible but I don't believe that's the case. It's very simple, I was offered some items, I paid for the items, the items did not get shipped. And until I questioned it and raised an issue there was no explanation as to what happened, and even then the explanations were not holding water.

I've had dealings with curtis both as a seller and buyer and had no problems what so ever.

I understand that my transactions were of 200$ max and that yours is 2000$ but this is the kind of problem that should have been resolved by PM's first.

Easy to fix this...

Gee2, you jumped the gun totally... i lost over a grand on stuff and i went through personal communications before i started to bag the person out publically... its not on dude.. I understand your side more than most people, at least you got your stuff in the timeframe specificied and accurate to the description/photos.

Its curtesy to go through with the buyer any mistakes that had been made, and rectified between you a resolve to the issue. At least a week is generally fair, not mere hours as you stated. Im sure you would have still had time to make a claim with USPS if he didnt come good.

Curtis, its also unfair to the buyer not to give updates that would affect the outcome of the agreement/sale, ie removing pieces from parcels and not informing about it until queried. But your response to this is more than fair and this would cover for this mistake. There was no 'deadline of needing it al by a certain date' mentioned in the PM's posted, so really it is a minor but correctable issue for a next time :)

This shouldnt have blown out the way it has. It is uncourteous to both parties for this to continue. Im sure that most people here would agree with me, with the fact that these can snowball into something very nasty and completely undeserved...

My opinion, being my personal one from experience, is that you (Gee2) need to step back a bit, remember that the person you burn now is just one more person not going to sell to you again, and nor will anyone on good terms with him, without much hesitation of being burned by you at a future date.

For example: I bought a 99Cent Taco Belt from Nobody recently, and he posted it being sent, with a 7-10 day delivery... it just arrived today, being 12 working days later... would it have been fair to Nobody to discredit him for it being late? some things are out of our control, its how we adapt to accomodate such times and things that make us who we are...

Anyway thats enough from me, before i get to Philosophical... What is done is done, and no more needed be said publically, unless of course things escalate on a private level to more serious issues..

Alcfalath, thanks for chiming in with your opinion, but allow me to retort as perhaps I wasn't clear before, this is not my first rodeo; I am fully well aware of gray area time tables when dealing with prop and costume makers/sellers and the little snafus that life throws at people, I have been making deals in this community (not necessarily TDH) for several years and have had my share of good and bad.

Curtis and I brokered a deal, I fullfilled my part on time no questions asked. He did not. As you pointed out in your post, he should have notified me immediately of any issues, he did not. When I questioned the reasons he provided a story that was full of holes. This is probably not an issue at this point as Curtis has stated that he made good and I have no reason to doubt him.

Now, do I believe that I may have jumped the gun, possibly. Am I above apologizing for doing just that, not at all. But, in my experience the faster the big issues are acted on the quicker they are solved, and sometimes that doesn't allow for niceties such as gray area time tables.

1) COMMUNICATION - Learn how to do it. You both should expect to communicate with each other before dragging your dirty laundry here onto the forums for all to get stuck in.

2) PATIENCE - Get some! Two hours is ridiculous to call someone out publically over. Maybe they weren't on their computer. Maybe they were doing something else. Maybe they didn't notice the PM. ANY number of reasons.

Curtis, if you told someone you were selling them a Sgt Fang helmet and MLC armor, why would you expect them to be ok with a Don Post and Sintra?

Take this discussion to PMs with each other and include mods if you'd like to. That's part of the reason why we're here.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back