fiberglass help

Wildabeast

Active Hunter
So I want to try and upgrade the armour to fiberglass. I did a chest piece out of cardboard and did 2 layers on the front and 1 on the back. Actually looks fairly good, but very thin, measured at about 1mm maybe 1.5mm. What is the recommended way to do fiberglass armour? Should I make molds using my existing armour which is about 5mm thick and then fiberglass using the mold or can they be 'freeformed' over cardboard or a similar material?

You can make a mold in RTV rubber, then lay in a gel cote layer and back it up with fiberglass and resin. Or you can lay up glass and resin over cardboard, then smooth it out with a gel cote and a lot of sanding. Thin is OK, but strength is more important. If it feels like it is going to break, you need to add another layer of glass and resin. BTW please be careful. Work in a well ventilated area, and wear a respirator and body/eye protection when sanding. Good luck!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back