Worst treatment... So Far

I just received my package from TheDentedOne yesterday. I almost started to cry when I saw the condition of the box. Thanks to TheDentedOnes extraordinary packing techniques (y) (y) , the best efforts of the USPS, Canada Customs, and Canada Post were deemed ineffective at destroying the contents :lol:.
On a more serious note, I for one, have no problem paying that little bit extra for packing material to ensure the safe arrival of items. Has anyone else run into this sort of mistreatment of packages sent through the mail? Has anyone had items actually destroyed??? I still find the Mail system the most economical and hassle free (coming to Canada) shipping system, but a little more care on their part may be required.

DSC00037.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

for the most part, the Post Office is pretty good about keeping damage down to a minimum but putting "FRAGILE" all over the package doesn't mean they are going to take good care of it! all mail is treated equal. my buddy worked at the PO for many years and he confirmed what I had just said. that's why you buy the insurance. plus it gives you some peace of mind that no matter what happens, you will eventually get your money back for the stuff they ruined. glad your stuff was intact dude.

later.

i worked for UPS....you should see how boxes get treated......you need atleast 2 inches of paddingall round for safe keeping (great tip pack the box untill it barely can close)

I have gotten a box in a condition like that many times. Heck I even shipped a box to myself when I moved from Baltimore to Phoenix. It was a brand new U-Haul moving box when I sipped it, and it looked like it had been sitting out in a rainstorm when I received it.:angry

That box reminds me of the opening scene to Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. When he was the "UPS" guy.

"We're goin'...down-town!"

When I got my Boba Helm and Jet Pack from MLC, the box looked...well, similar to that lol! Good news was, nothing was broken. I was relieved to see that. But I think the thing they did was just open it up to inspect it at customs. And did a horrible job repacking it.

I work in a car parts department, and I have seen Fed Ex and UPS boxes dropped off at my work that are, well...worse than that. Problem is that pieces are made of sheet metal for fenders and whatnot...the parts don't come in pretty to say the least sometimes. I have even seen the guys of UPS throw boxes that look like they weigh about 20-30 lbs and throw it right off the truck onto the ground. Even at my house when UPS drops stuff off at my house, they just toss it onto the porch. I had one time where I saw the truck pull up and I knew it had my stuff in it, so he walked up to about 10 ft from me and tossed it to me...amazing. I have less problems with DHL and USPS.

I have had similar problems with USPS bro and I feel your pain there. I sent a package to Canada which not only took forever to arrive to its desitination, but they destroyed the box and contents and sent it on to the address in a bag in pieces. I took me forever to get that info out of them too. I filed a claim to which 6 months later they did finally have to cough up something, but it was so much red taspe it was almost not even worth it. Insurance my FOOT! I have a friend in the USPS office who told/warned me that if a package says fragile on it at the loading dock that it is treated worse than all the others just to see if it would break! This was nice to know and solidified my decision that I'd rather pay a bit extra and not go through USPS!

While I've heard horror stories about FedEx and DHL too I've had better luck with them.
What can ya do but super pad the interior of the box anymore!

jon

This is one from work. UPS, who is usually the better IMO. We found out from our usual UPS guy that we are now on the training route. Good thing the polyethylene sphere inside is nearly indestructible!

box.jpg

for the most part, the Post Office is pretty good about keeping damage down to a minimum but putting "FRAGILE" all over the package doesn't mean they are going to take good care of it!

According to Canada Post, if the package has "fragile" stickers on it, that means that they should bang, drop, mangle, toss, soak in water, and then finally get a 10 TON elephant to sit on it. :p

I've seen far too many packages arrive with "fragile" stickers on them that looked like they got caught in the middle of a war zone and were subjected to detonation. On the other hand though, if you don't mark anything on the package at all, it'll arrive relatively unscathed. :facepalm

I guess that reverse-reverse psychology is needed when dealing with Canada Post. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say? Some post offices are jsut plain stupid.

We had an incedent where the box was so damaged, we could see into the box and see all contents withing.
There was a very good chance that some of the contents might have spilled out in transit, but luckily, none did. We and the original mailers were both compensated the shipping costs.

I once shipped an item up to a guy in canada in a bubble envelope and one PO or the other ran the thing through the sorter. The item was worth $60!!! I received the empty envelope with an apology from my postmaster. I was pretty ticked off.

For anyone familiar with the older Lego Bionicle sets, the item in question was a VMKK that I won in a contest.

Oh yeah, I've had packages get to my house in horrid condition.

I swear that the people working in shipping places purposly do their best to make sure every box that passes through their hands gets properly crushed.

At work I have seen our UPS/FedEx drivers actually toss packages into the backs of their trucks. Not set down, not carry inside - they stand outside the doors and chuck it in.

My brother and dear friend, many moons ago, "yours truly" purchased some armor from RA. The box was in the same condition as above. Thanks to Richie, all contents were in tact. However, this was still a Sniffers nightmare!

i just recently received an airmail package from Israel...the entire item was made of glass and was totally shattered inside the box when i opened it...luckily the company insured it and is replacing the item.

I just sent a letter from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, when it arrived there was a gaping hole in it. The 2"x4" piece of the envelope was missing completely. However, the Post Office was polite enough to stamp, "Received in Damaged Condition" on the face.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back