Rangefinder won't stay up!!!

The helmet I have (unknown make/manufacturer) has no mechanism to keep the rangefinder in the up position. I don't want to permanently affix it there, but I've already tried magnets (store-bought too weak) and velcro (too small of a surface area to keep it up.)

Any suggestions that don't involve breaking the helmet down?

Seriously, if you don't wanna pop the ear cap off or make it static, then I think a paper shim is your only option.

EDIT-

Or maybe some putty tack stuff that you use to put up posters and such. That might work too.

That's too bad. I really wanted to be able to manually move it from up to down. Though, I can't see where I would really need to do that. It's just one of those things that you wan't to be ABLE to do even if you may never do it.

Do you have pics? That might help with suggestions.

Mines is secured on the inside with a rubber gasket and a lock washer. Lock washers do a nice job of holding things on tightly.

I built up my courage to try and remove the ear cap cover. I was successful! Luckily, the glue was a gummy, non-hardening type and a few careful slices allowed me to remove the ear cap. I removed the bolt and found a couple of rubber washers in my tool box (I knew saving all of those screws, nails, washers, etc. would come in handy someday) and put one on each side. Now, the rangefinder is perfectly tensioned and easily stays in the up position, but can be manually placed down with a little effort. I had to hollow out a bit more where the bolt met the earcap due to the extra washer, but that was no problem. I'll put the earcap back on with a similar type of glue in only two places in case I need to tighten down the bolts again.

Put some epoxy next to it, sort of like a speed bump make it smooth, Then you will have to force the stalk over it to slide it down.

It will tobble a bit, but it wont come down unless you want it down.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back