Jango72s scratch built jet pack progress thread ( from WoF templates )

Here's some new pictures. Although it doesn't look like much progress was made, I'm pretty happy with how every thing is progressing.

I still need to work on the fine details like the "ribbing" under the edge of the top deck. I also need to make my harness and attach it to the pack.

I can't wait to start painting this jet pack.

IMG00450.jpg

IMG00452.jpg

IMG00454.jpg

I've also been working on my pair of resin Westars that I purchased off of ABNtroop. They were in such rough shape when I got them, but I'm happy to say that they're just about ready for paint. I added some real bolt heads in place of the horribly cast resin ones, and I feel that this one small detail will make a huge difference in the over all appearance of the finished blasters. For now, they're tucked safely away in their case until the holsters from Cruzer arrive. 8)

IMG00455.jpg

IMG00456.jpg

IMG00457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of sheer curiosity, I just put my jet pack on the weigh scale at my work. To my shock, it's only 3.5lbs right now!!

This means that my finished pack will easily be within my target weight of 5lbs.

You've done a fantastic job on this pack! I didn't see it in the thread, but what did you seal the cardboard with so it's paint ready? Amazing!!!! (y)(y)

Also, just a side note for reference, the " 'ribbing' under the edge of the top deck" is also referred to as "piano keys" by some people. Just a tidbit. (y)

Thanks for the kudos MandalorFett, and I did read some where the reference to that detail being called "piano keys".

I haven't fully sealed all of the cardboard just yet. The tube sections have a coating of Bondo spot and glazing putty on them, which was used to smooth out the surface to get rid of the "faceted" look. I plan to pick up some polyacrylic sealer, which will seal the cardboard and effectively make it waterproof.

As for the main bulk of the jet pack, it should be just fine one a fine coat of primer is applied as it's made from hardboard/wood 1/8" thick. I've painted this material before with no ill effects what so ever.

Coming from the resident master of metal, that's a huge compliment. Thanks Wickedbeard. :)

Rest assured, I haven't forgotten about this thread. I've just been busy with other aspects of my costume build. Right now, I'm finishing off the construction of my knee armor ( so the hardest part is almost done ). Then I'll begin the shin and thigh armor, along with my cod piece.

Once those parts are on the table and basically ready for primer, then I'll focus on finishing off my thrusters and the rest of the details needed on the jet pack. ( unless I need a break. ;) )

I've already figured out how I'm going to attach the thrusters, but I'm still at a loss as to how I'm going to go about making the indented details on the thruster balls. I'll try to throw up a picture or two of my thruster assemblies in their current state. And yes, I'm open to suggestions.

WOW This is coming a long GREAT! How are the patterns working out?

Keep up the fantastic work.

Alan

The patterns are working out great Alan, but I did find one thing that might be advantageous to add... if you could put some sort of mark on the back plate to show where the top deck is supposed to attach. I know that it would've made my life way easier as I wouldn't have had to rip off the top deck and re-set it... twice, until I had the right/proper positioning. ;)

Aside from that, the templates are awesome!

I'll be making two more jet packs after I've finished up my Jango. One for VaderFanForever1922, and the second one will be scaled down to match the kids sized helmet I made for a certain someone. ( she'll be needing that final piece to finish off the ensemble. 8) )

Nice work!

May I ask what you used to make the corrugated ring at the top of the missile (blue plastic in your photo)?

Can't wait to see your next update.

The corugated ring on the missile is the cap from a juice bottle... I don't remember off the top of my head what size, but I can check once I get home tonight and post it up later.

I simply took the cap and carefully trimmed it so that all I had was the knurled ring, so the closed top was cut off. To fit it onto the rocket, I had to cut the ring but was able to hide the tiny gap by placing it so it faces the back of my head. :)

I'm actually hoping to have some updates in this thread within the next week. I've finally got the camelback hydration pack I've been searching for to use as my harness. All I have to do now is attach the extra webbing straps and buckles. ;)

Jet pack is finished and ready for paint!!

At long last, I can call this one finished... save for the painting. ;) (y)

I've slaved long and hard on this pack, and I'm darn proud of it too!

Here's the long awaited pictures...

Bottom vent finished and ready for install
IMG00593.jpg

IMG00594.jpg

The hole where the vent will go naturally...
IMG00598.jpg

...and this is the vent installed
IMG00599.jpg

IMG00601.jpg

One of the thrusters...
IMG00604.jpg

IMG00605.jpg

And last but not least, the finished and ready for paint jet pack...
PaintmeImdone.jpg

I'm with holding pictures of my harness set up as I haven't completed it yet. ;)

Just a small update.

I just put the jet pack on one of the scales at my work, and I'm happy to announce that I've kept under my goal weight... the pack weighs in at a 4.35 pounds!!

Awesome job man!!!!

Thanks Seeker, coming from "the Jango man" himself that's a huge compliment! :)

This pack wouldn't been possible without the hard work of members here at TDH, and to Alans incrdible templates.

On a side note... my harness is now finished, so I'll try my best to get some pictures of both the harness and jet pack on. ;)

I made mine also, so i know how much hard you are putting into this and I must say it is awesome

well done buddy :)

Here's a quick picture that my wife just took so I could see how the jet pack sat.

I think that it looks pretty darn good. 8)

Firstsuituptest3.jpg

Perhaps one of my last updates in this thread :rolleyes... Because it's finally finished!! (y)

I haven't taken any pics of the harness set up yet, so those will have to come later.

For now, here's the finished jet pack all weathered up and clear coated. Also like to mention that all of the symbols were hand painted, only the main colors were done with rattle can. :cheers

finishedjetpack.jpg

IMG00627.jpg

IMG00628.jpg

IMG00631.jpg

IMG00626.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back