Jango72s scratch built jet pack progress thread ( from WoF templates )

Jango72

Active Hunter
Jango72s scratch built jetpack progress thread ( from WoF templates )

Seeing as I'm currently waiting for parts to arrive, and for the funds to get even more parts, I decided that it would be a waste of precious time to sit and not work on something for my Jango costume. So with WizardofFlights templates and some cardboard and copious amounts of glue in hand, I sat down and started the first parts of my jet pack... the rocket.

Everything went together fairly well, so well in fact that I actually had to stop myself so that I could snap a few pictures of my progress thus far. :p

I still have to do some light bondo work with the spot and glazing putty, so the fins haven't been added or even constructed yet.

Here's the rocket as of this evening...
rocketinrawform.jpg

A closer look at the top of the rocket. This is the part that really needs all of the bondo attention. I really want to get rid of those ridges so it'll look smooth as a babys bottom. ;)
rocketinrawform3.jpg

Before I began the construction, I figured that it would be best to make the rocket removable for storage purposes. I didn't want it to twist or flop around, nor did I want it to be near impossible to remove with out the aid of power tools. :facepalm I finally got the inspiration that I needed... I used the threaded neck and top from a Simply Orange juice bottle. Now all it takes is a quarter turn twist to lock it in place. (y)
IMG00435.jpg

I'm going to start on the main body of the jet pack this weekend. I can't hardly wait. (y):jet pack

awesome lol

lemme know if you tackle another one some day so I can buy it off you lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the basics of the main body of the jet pack fleshed out, but still have tons of work to do on it.

I'll have to tweek/alter some of the parts so that I'll get a better fit, but nothing too major.

IMG00436.jpg

IMG00437.jpg

IMG00438.jpg

More to updates to come in the next few days. 8)

Very very impressive job so far. Seems like you got those fine details nailed down.:jet pack:jet pack:jet pack

Hmm... Maybe I should start my backpack to... This was quite an inspiring peice of costumepart :D

awesome lol

lemme know if you tackle another one some day so I can buy it off you lol

I would make one for you WOlfie, but it would cost me way more to ship it than it did to make it. ( my jet pack has cost me zero dollars so far as I've got all the materials on hand. ;) )

I would make one for you WOlfie, but it would cost me way more to ship it than it did to make it. ( my jet pack has cost me zero dollars so far as I've got all the materials on hand. ;) )

true lol

maybe i'll try to follow your example someday. i am gonna make the jet pack last unless I find an amazing deal on one...

That's pretty much why I decided to make this a stage by stage, start to finish thread... so that others will have some visual references when the build theirs. :)

I had originally intended to attempt to make my jet pack last as well, but seeing as I've got some time on my hands while waiting for parts to come in, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to give it a go. This way I might actually have my jet pack finished around the same time frame as the rest of my costume. I also tend to get a bit antsy if I'm not working on something. ;)

great job. you should have left the whole orange juice bottle in there, and made a fett-fountain. have a tap in one of the thrusters... fill it through the rocket. maybe even a cup dispenser.

you'd be the most popular Fett at any con!

I hadn't thought of that... :rolleyes

I do intend to keep the inside as open as possible, with an access hatch/door so that I can hide/mount a camelback drink bladder in there. I'll run the drinking tube up the back of my neck and into my helmet so that I can have a refreshing drink any time I want. :cheers

It'll be great for those long hot trooping days. ;)

A small update.

I wasn't totally happy with the look/positioning of the main body of the jet pack, so I pulled it appart and re assembled it. I felt that I had the top plate ( where the rocket sits ) mounted too low, and the bottom of the pack had lost the slope. ( it wound up at the same angle as the top )

I'm happier with the repositioned frame, but I won't have any pictures to post up until tonight. ( no time to snap any pics this morning, sorry )

Small update...

I've almost finished the main body, after having to rip it apart and reposition the top deck for the third time. :p

The side tanks are almost ready to be installed, they'll need some bondo work to get rid of the surface ridges from the cardboard.

Here's where it's sitting now, I'm really happy with the results thus far. 8)

IMG00440.jpg

Not much of a change from my last update, but it's getting closer to completion. Still need to attach the side tanks and finish the detailing of the main body. Then I can start work on the thrusters. :)

IMG00444.jpg

IMG00446.jpg

IMG00447.jpg

No updated pictures to post just yet, I'll try to snap a few tonight.

I've now got the covers for the side tanks attached, the rocket is attached and I'm currently on my second coat of bondo to smooth out the center and side tanks. I still need to find the ball portion for the side thrusters, so I'll be cruising the aisles in Micheals soon.

I've got how to make the stabiliser all worked out, and I'm trying to make a beacon out of wood dowel. I am open to suggestions as to what I could use to make the top of the beacon.

Awesome work! Keep it up!

Believe me you will get an overwhelming sense of self satisfaction after completing it!

Juice bottle to secure the missile - BRILLIANT!

Dude - that detail on your jet pack is outstanding.... great work!

J

Thanks. 8)

The juice bottle locking mechanism was one of my better "brain farts". It's just an added bonus that I love to drink Simply Orange. ;)

I just finished sanding my ( hopefully ) final coat of bondo on the tube sections. Then I can turn my focus back to finishing off the fine details.

I'm going to pop into Walmart on my way home from work tomorrow and pick up a cheap camelback knockoff to convert into my jet pack harness. Thanks again for the pictures of yours TK1799jhw, now I know that my plans aren't a hair-brained idea... it WILL work. :lol: (y)

I'll do my best to post up some more pictures before I turn in for the night.

I couldn't have done it without LisaFetts initial work and WizardofFlights templates. (y)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back