Continued: My custom mando progress

The Clayster

Well-Known Hunter
Well, as it needs to be done by a Con coming up (Finally) I am working on this costume once again. Some past deadlines for this costume, did not work out, and I simply put this on the back burner. The new deadline is for PCC (Phoenix Comic Con).

I will take pictures of some parts that have not been seen here on TDH, and some work that I have done, and parts that I am revamping and/or replacing.

Pics will follow later: Sorry for the boring post!:)

Looking forward to the progress pics! (y)(y)
Thanks buddy, here are some pics of some of the stuff that people haven't seen:

A free cape I received over the summer
Mandostuff063.gif

A buckle that I am going to use on my new belt
Mandostuff062.gif

My old belt, and my new belt
Mandostuff059.gif

A lousy Kama/holster combo: The kama and holsters are just hooked together by velcro, so it really doesn't matter what happens to it. I made it last summer when I was bored.
Mandostuff064.gif

The back of the rocket: The gauntlet set and resin pieces I received from someone on here, were actually trimmed badly, and the resin pieces were not sanded or primed before painting. They used testors probably, with a brush.
Mandostuff054.gif

Nothing on the flamethrower. Any suggestions on what I could put there? haha
Mandostuff053.gif

The resin calculator pad, that came painted, but the paint came off with the liquid mask.
Mandostuff052.gif

The boots I will be using, and the shin armor will be attached to these. I was thinking snaps, or velcro. Any other methods?
Mandostuff050.gif

Right Gauntlet
Mandostuff047.gif

Mandostuff048.gif

Mandostuff049.gif

Like I mentioned earlier, the set I received was not trimmed well, and so I had to figure out a closure system, and this was what we came up with. Any ideas on how to make a better closure system, please tell!

As for my new Cod piece and knees, they are in the trimming and prepping for paint stage: Tomorrow they will probably be completely painted and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I'm thinking those guantlets look too clean, maybe we should put an acrylic wash on them. We can do it before we see Jeremy, it's a quick process. Also, did we ever think about vacuuforming the cod piece I made for you? It might be a really good buck for vacuuforming.

get another hinge setup, hinging the velcro side in the pic so both sides are hinged, and use the hinge pin as a locking pin, sliding it out when you want to put it on or take it off and sliding it in for wearing it :D

thats what im planning on doing with mine :)

Hmm... I'm thinking those guantlets look too clean, maybe we should put an acrylic wash on them. We can do it before we see Jeremy, it's a quick process. Also, did we ever think about vacuuforming the cod piece I made for you? It might be a really good buck for vacuuforming.
I was going to do that, and I still have yet to put a wash over my armor, and maybe a bit more on the helmet.

As for the old Cod you made, we did speak of vacuuforming it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to me, we do have access to a machine!:D

Update: It is raining. How in the world is it raining in Laughlin? (look it up on Google Earth) The conditions outside make it impossible to paint, and if I do it in my garage, the air is still moist, and kinda chilly. Maybe tomorrow conditions will be better, so I can paint my shins, and cod.

I had my Marine Corps Birthday Ball in Laughlin a little over two years ago. Little city on the river (stream), smack dab in the middle of the desert.

Your armor looks great, tho. :)

If you want to add hinges, you can most likely find them at your local hardware store. I bought some today for $6 each, 12" long. I bought two, and cut them in half, and now I have two sets of hinges for each gauntlet. Easy to install, too. You can use the included screws, or use rivets.

Thanks for the advice on the closure. I may or may not do this, just because I may upgrade to better Fibgerglass gauntlets later on in the year...as the ones I own now are vacuuformed, and made of Styrene.

Rain for the next 3 days. I may not be able to wear this at the Jeremy Bulloch signing. Although, I am sure I can finish by Phoenix Comic Con.

My other problem is the vest. It came in my size....but wayyyy too wide. The snaps have a tear, in which I need to patch, and I have to take it in quite a few inches on the sides.

I have to say procrastination is my best friend, and as a result: My helmet has not been completed since paint finished back in April 07 :/.

I now have wig heads, in which when I do glue in the visor, nothing will interfere with the process. I also have to do some slight RF work. Since my mando really never had a great planning stage...I am still piecing it together, and what I think would look cool. I was always thinking of a back pack...but I never could think of anything that looked Star Warsy...so I settled for a cape. Now I see that capes are quite popular, along with Kamas.

My backplate is metal, I bought it used. It had been Rub n Buffed, and so when I tried painting, it did not stick. I now have to sand the paint that was horribly done by me, and the Rub n Buff... I have started on that, but did not get very far at all. I am also having trouble finding a method of connecting it to my vest. If I had a Jet Pack, I could just use that as a method, but since I do not...I am out of ideas (I can't sew! So finding someone to take in the vest will be a chore!!!)

I wish you good luck in your armor making venture!!!

Its starting to look great.

Boy, I just love all these new custom mando's comin up so fast.

I wish you good luck in your armor making venture!!!

Its starting to look great.

Boy, I just love all these new custom mando's comin up so fast.
I've actually been here for quite a while. I do have one other thread, but it has been derailed many a time with drama. So I started a new thread.

As I mentioned earlier, I am posting stuff that people have not seen, and updated parts of the costume.

You can see my other thread here:http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=15515

It's looking good, bro. Keep it up!

Are your gauntlets made by MB? I just traded some McQ figures for a set of his gauntlets and knees. Like you, I have a terrible case of procrastination in me.

It's looking good, bro. Keep it up!

Are your gauntlets made by MB? I just traded some McQ figures for a set of his gauntlets and knees. Like you, I have a terrible case of procrastination in me.

Yes they are! I did not receive them from him though, I got them through a member here, a few weeks before CIV. The person had a low post count, and I think was fairly new. Not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not so much a procrastinator as that I just can't seem to stay on one project long enough to finish it before I get too excited to start another project. :p

Alright, today,if the weather is nicer and a bit warmer out, I will paint up some stuff today. If not, then it will just wait for this weekend.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back