My Jango Progress

As far as the primer, I always had really good luck with the rust-oleum verion. it just feels like it has the right thickness for me.

some other ones are thicker and have other ingrients in them. some have spot filler etc..

this is a pic of one of them.
you could buy at any ace or home depot.

rustoleum_L.jpg

yeah i guess i was just worried that if i re did the armor it would be far more shiny than the helmet is now and i didnt want it to look bad. I def like the dirtier look and im sure coming from a sandtrooper to jango didn't help in that dept. haha! i will redo the armor like you said and see how it all looks in the end. thanks guys!

If its too shiny, take some 0000 steel wool to dull it down. I did that with my helmet to match my cold cast gauntlets. Initially the helmet was way too shiny.

ok. sweet. thanks a lot.

Update: I sanded everything down except for the helmet and knees for now (mostly because i don't want to deal with them) and i am still noticing little pock marks in the right breast plate like before. Should i use filler primer for this one piece? or is that going to change the entire finish?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
pock marks...like orange peel? If it's orange peel I'd use filler primer and sand, filler primer and sand, till it's gone. The more fine you go on sandpaper the shinier it comes out. If they are holes I'd fill them first.

i know im late to the party phil...lol but i very lightly sanded all my bkbt armor with 400 grit and that was it...i also did the same with my helmet and my cruzer gauntlets...they all came in with a super slick feel to them out of the box so i only hit the stuff quick with 400.

all my stuff looks pretty good..not too shiney but not dull either...

the rustolium primer for auto is what i redid my helmet with..and still only went to 400 grit and it came out real nice.

also you should consider my R&B weathering technique..it works so much better than arcyllic paints...at least IMO

i know im late to the party phil...lol but i very lightly sanded all my bkbt armor with 400 grit and that was it...i also did the same with my helmet and my cruzer gauntlets...they all came in with a super slick feel to them out of the box so i only hit the stuff quick with 400.

all my stuff looks pretty good..not too shiney but not dull either...

the rustolium primer for auto is what i redid my helmet with..and still only went to 400 grit and it came out real nice.

also you should consider my R&B weathering technique..it works so much better than arcyllic paints...at least IMO

i'm going to have to check that out again. you just weathered it all with other RnB colors right? Yeah you're jango turned out great! I'm a little embarassed of mine at the moment. I kind of messed it up :rolleyes

yup...the colors you need is silver leaf for the base armor, which you know...

then do the following steps...

first go around the edges with pewter..this creates the illusion of the silver being worn around the edge...i use a small soft model paint brush for these steps. don't be afraid to come out in a non symetrical pattern to even 1/2 inch in spots. I also went around the "led" area of the chest armor.

after that you use ebony. this has a bit of a different texture to it and you really only need to dab the brush on the top of the tube to get the effect. other wise you get a real dark black look and have to really spread it around to fix it. a little will give the edge on top of the pewter a smoke look. you also want to do these methods to all the creases of the knee armor and around the knee darts....in the creases or "low areas" of the helmet...where the dirt would normally collect.

once you get the ebony down...use spanish copper to create the rusty appearance. i usually keep this to the areas where there would be water collection, in deep cracks and the inside edges of the gauntlets, helmet, knees, ect. a small amount can be spread around gingerly on top of the ebony and it looks good even on the chest pieces. inside the led area.

it take a bit to get the feel...but after your first piece...i would recomment you knee so you can get the feel for it before you go to the chest, youll get it. it's not that hard to do and it drys solid. you can get it off if you dont like it but its much more permanant than acryllics. once totally dry its stay on. ive also found that "chunks" of the spanish copper and heavy spot give it a bit of 3D rust look in cracks...adds to the realism. and that too will eventually dry and be pretty solid where it is.

ive also noticed on some screen shots that the vest has some brownish dirty stains on it by the chest and shoulder area. i used some of the spanish copper for those areas of the vest too...just dry brush it with the brush with very little R&B on it.

let me know if you need any thing else.

Everything is looking great!! But be sure to paint the tips of your Westars bronze, I just now noticed that! Keep up the good work, you'll make an awesome Jango.

After talking to Seeker for a while about weathering and stuff, I decided to re work my helmet. Now I'm satisfied with it i think. I'm sure it will never be totally done. :lol:

DSC_1187.jpg

now to redo the armor!

I think it looks fantastic. I love the look of the dome. Nice and dull. Very realistic, like the real thing.

That picture looks pretty dramatic. Are you a photogropher?:lol:

I think it looks fantastic. I love the look of the dome. Nice and dull. Very realistic, like the real thing.

That picture looks pretty dramatic. Are you a photogropher?:lol:

hahaha! mayyyybe. you got some pretty nice shots there yourself man. thanks for the advice. hopefully i can get the armor to match. i guess i should just go up to 400 grit on the armor since the helmet is only 400. should i prime then sand at 400 then prime again then sand again at 400 before rub and buff?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is looking really good so far, just joined up here myself. I'm unsure of the direction that I want to go at the moment though. However, why should I be so unsure when I could do EVERYTHING. *looks at empty wallet* There's always another payday.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back