My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

This is a cool project and I'm lovin the way it's coming together. It's got me wanting to do one once my Fett outfit is finished. Thing is if I could get around to doing one, I think the Mrs would throw a wobbler as I can't see her agreeing to have it mounted on our living room wall :)

The progress is looking better and better!:eek: Are you going to use plastic bags sprayed with a release agent for the texture?:)

It looks like the top left hand electronic panel used to be an old oscilloscope front panel with the graphic screen. You can probably use EL panels or glow sheets with a graph printed on top of a clear sheet to make that panel light up.

Slide1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The progress is looking better and better!:eek: Are you going to use plastic bags sprayed with a release agent for the texture?:)

It looks like the top left hand electronic panel used to be an old oscilloscope front panel with the graphic screen. You can probably use EL panels or glow sheets with a graph printed on top of a clear sheet to make that panel light up.

Slide1.jpg
what model of oscilloscope is it?

oops...sorry if my comment seems like it is hijacking the thread. who ever has the answer can pm me, unless azheat doesn't mind.

I am not sure what type of oscilloscope they used for this but I think it was a vintage HP oscilloscope or a rack mounted power transformer of some sort. I was searching online to see if I could buy just the front bezel or panel cover but I've only seen something close but not screen accurate. Here is an actual screen capture from ESB when Lando was kneeled down to check his vital signs. I tried to capture it with most of the lights on and I tried to make it lighter that the actual movie shot.

Carbonite.jpg

Yeah, I know the hands are not correct, but after playing with them, I decided to leave them alone. I saw a thread from another member who did a great job changing the hands, but I did not feel like cutting them, so I went as is. I tried to heat them up and bend them, but that was not going to work.

Anyway, for the texture I am going to use some 3 feet by 2 feet pieces of tissue paper, then coat them with a light 2 part epoxy. I think that will give the carbonite a nice texture.

I am winging this one since it is my first attempt. I think down the road I will do it again, I learned quite a bite that will help next time.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Azheat01,

I can't wait to see the finished project! Fantastic job so far! Check with SGT. Fang to see if he still sells the side panels for the carbonite Solo.(y);)

Here is my side panel project. I thought I would start working on this while the glue sets on the main piece.

I am starting with a plastic 6 qt. bin. I found these at Wal-Mart for 94 cents each and thought they might work.

hs29.jpg

I cut the bottom off and then cut that piece at about a 45 degree angle. The approximate cuts are shown in red.

hs30.JPG

I then took the lid, cut out the center area (marked in red) and then turned it upside down. These bins are made to stack, so the top piece fits naturally onto the bottom when turned upside down.

hs31.JPG

Here is how it looks once the top is affixed to the bottom of the bin. I am going to go to Home Depot this weekend and find some odds and ends to finish out the panel.

If this works, I think they will look good. I thought about buying some casts of the side panels, but in the interest of saving money (as what I promised my wife) I am going this route. I also like the challenge of trying to recreate something out of scratch.

If anyone has side panel casts, I still may be interested. This idea has the potential to fail miserably!

hs32.JPG

Hey Azheat01,

You can also try to cut out the outline of the side panels and the greeblies out of craft foam and then maybe reinforce it with resin or fiberglass. Just a suggestion...;)

OK, it was a busy week, but I did have time to work on my "proposed" side panels. For those who are "screen accurate only" or other faint of heart hardcore fabricators, be forewarned, shield your eyes now!

I have a few other little details to put on it, then I will paint. You can see I drilled 3 holes on the top for my LEDs. Just about everyting on this came from Home Depot, with the exception of the switch for the LEDs and the LEDs themselves (not pictured). I used some washers, handles, nut caps, and I have a few other odds and ends to still put on. The inlay details are made of Sintra. I am not sure exactly how I want to paint this, but I have some ideas.

I am going to have 4 panels like this, and 4 slightly different.

Again, this is for the budget conscious and those like me who have no fabricating skills at all!

Input/suggesstions are always appreciated.

Thanks.

hs33.JPG

hs34.JPG

The post of the sterilite pieces didn't look that great. However your latest post looks awesome. I know it's not screen accurate, but wow!! Great job.

You're doing a ver commendable job on this project. I'm sure you will love it once you're done. While I don't have the time or the space to try it I'm glad you do. It looks great so far!

-Matt

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back