My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

azheat01

Active Hunter
UPDATE: I have since removed the photos from this thread, if you wish to see my second attempt, click on the thread link below.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php/37403-My-Life-sized-Han-Solo-in-Carbonite-Project-2nd-Attempt

Hey Everyone,

Well, it's been a while! Finally getting settled in and had a chance to work on my lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite project again. Some of you may remember I started this project back in June of last year but had to put it off for a while. The old thread got purged, along with my "Lifesize Boba Fett Project" thread, so I am starting again.

Here it goes!

I intend on spending no more than $250.00 on this project. I bought the Han face from eBay (about $25.00). It looks like it is made out of plaster, not the greatest, but it will do.

The box is made out of 1/2" plywood. The clothes I got on sale at Ross and cost me about $25.00.

The body will be shaped out of styrofoam and the hands were about $20.00 from a party store.

hs1.JPG

I framed the box out with 2 x 4's.

hs5.JPG

hs6.JPG

I put the side panels on and raised the top lip about 1/2" around to allow a boundry for the glue.

hs7.JPG

Here is the finished box.

hs8.JPG

Here is a mock up of the body and feet showing the basic shape and postion.

hs10.JPG

hs11.JPG

I put some bolts into the back of the head cast to help secure it to the box.

hs12.jpg

Here is how the cast looks from undeneath with the bolts and washer in place.

hs13.JPG

I then started adding the screws. I placed a bunch of screws all over the cabinet, from the bottom up, to help secure the styrofoam and glue. I figure the screws will give the glue something extra to grip to.

hs14.JPG

Here is a close up of where one of the boot tips will go.

hs15.JPG

Here is a another view of the screws.

hs17.JPG

Here I am gluing the styrofoam on.

hs16.JPG

I plan on making the side panels out of sintra and will be adding some electronics.

I am not going by any set of plans, as you can plainly see, I am just wingning it and referencing some photos from the web.

More to come.......

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, here is the end result of my "Lifesize Boba Fett Project - 1st Attempt".

I finished the final touches, which consisted of weathering the jumpsuit with some black and sand colored charcoal. The mannequin looks good and I get allot of compliments when my friends come over and see it.

finalfett.JPG

I would say he is about 99% complete and will most likely stay that way for some time.

Excellent progress, can't wait to see it finished.
Let me know if you need a casting of the feet so you don't have to bother sculpting it from foam.

Ely

Looks great o far! I've been wanting to do that myself. It'd be great hanging in my office offset with orange backlighting.:)

Excellent progress, can't wait to see it finished.
Let me know if you need a casting of the feet so you don't have to bother sculpting it from foam.

Ely

speaking of... i meant to ask you a while ago. any chance of you doing partial castings of yours?

i'd LOVE to get face/hands/feet. i'm perfectly happy with my body, but the rest could use some love :)

Wow, I've always wanted to do one of these! Looking great so far!

VashDstampede, if you did castings of face/hands/feet, about how much would they run?

They run about $500.00, used to be $450.00 but Resin can be expensive. shipping costs are low as well in fact he can ship it via Greyhound, that's right Greyhound for $70.00 THAT IS A STEAL!!!! C

They run about $500.00, used to be $450.00 but Resin can be expensive. shipping costs are low as well in fact he can ship it via Greyhound, that's right Greyhound for $70.00 THAT IS A STEAL!!!! C

that's all for a full front though, not just the hands/feet/face as separate parts.

i think that's a neat option that hasn't been explored. scratch build the body, but have the hands/feet/face in resin.

I don't want to take away from azheat01's progress, so please PM me for questions/suggestions/ideas since I've never thought about selling just parts.

For azheat01, let me know if you want the toes, I'll just charge you shipping plus a couple of bucks for the resin.

a fellow member was doing this a while back, but i don't think he finished his. I'll have to try this too, because this looks awesome.

I did a little more work today. I started sculpting the foam body and boots and did a base wash of glue over all the foam pieces. I am also building up the neck so it transitions from the plaster face cast to the foam body.

I have a liitle more sculpting to do on the wrists which will be connected to the plastic hands.

I am also going to use my hot glue gun to apply strips in various places to create the "frozen running water" effect.

More to come.............

hs18.jpg

hs19.jpg

hs20.JPG

It was a busy week and I got side tracked, so I did not get as much done as I wanted. I managed to get the shirt cut, fitted, and I just finished setting it.

Hopefully I can get the pants done tomorrow and then start setting the hands.

hs21.jpg

hs22.jpg

Thanks for posting this step by step & possibly setting a template for the rest of us who want to accomplish this! Great job so far. Take your time! You will do fine!

Set the pants today and did another wash of glue. Some of my dimensions are off, but too late to fix them now. I want to get the glue poured as soon as possible, it takes a few days to dry.

I think it will come together once I mount the hands, pour the glue, and start painting.

hs23.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back