helmet help

Well, the "big head" thing is going to be your limiting factor. . .
If I remember my "Book of Helmets" correctly, the MSH 1 or 2 is pretty much the biggest bucket out there. But they're sort of hard to come by these days.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken!

Well, the "big head" thing is going to be your limiting factor. . .
If I remember my "Book of Helmets" correctly, the MSH 1 or 2 is pretty much the biggest bucket out there. But they're sort of hard to come by these days.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken!

Nope
You are right
I have the MS2 for my giant Melon
It ebven fits JB's head:lol:

i tried on my brothers rubys bucket and it fit real snug against my head so i need a bigger one
so where can i but a decent quality bucket without going broke

You seek Sgt. Fang and or MLC! Do keep in mind, depending on the size of your Melon, most Fett helmets are a tad snug keeping rather with scale rather than general proportions of all us different sized Fetts. However, to the BIG Melon Credit, MLC makes a LARGE Fett bucket for just such an occasion! Cost is relative but these two sources are very reasonable. Good reliable things cost alittle more than any DP or Rubies would, but your asking for something kinda unique!;)

Type in MLC or Sgt. Fang on the search feature and it should lead to them and from there you can send them a pm with your request for further info.
Both are good guys and very helpful.

Good luck and Happy hunting!
jon

Okay guys I plan on buying a mystery or SGT fang resin helmet for about $100 or so then I want to sand and bondo it and get rid of any blemishes or imperfections and begin making copies of the helmet, Rangefinder, Rangefinder stalk, earpieces, keyhole piece and a Calculator board so I can modify too and then recast the new model (If I like it enough) I really want to learn how to make a good mold so I can create custom
Can anyone give me a website or name of a book which will instruct me in how to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gang, instead of making fun or making comments that do not help, why not help educate him as to why recasting is frowned upon?

Dareuss, this is the boards policy on recasting:

RECASTING

Copying or duplicating, any item, with or without modification, without consent from the license holder, original creator, original artist, trademark holder, or copyright holder IS recasting. Deliberately recasting another member’s creation without consent is not supported by this community.

If an accusation of recasting is made, the burden of proof falls solely on the accuser. It is not the responsibility of the accused to prove their innocence in any form. The Dented Helmet chooses to believe our members are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until they can provide proof of their innocence. It is not the job of the administration to determine if an individual has recast, only their job to administer punishment if an accuser provides definitive proof of recasting.

What you are wanting to IS Recasting. Taking someone else's work, even modified by you,recasting it up and selling it is not acceptable. That person took a lot of time and effort in making something of their own. I would highly advise you not attempting to do such a thing, much less try and sell it here on the forum. It will not be appreciated and will wind up getting you banned. Also, I think you are going to find it quite difficult to purchase any Fett pieces at this point on the forum as no one wants their stuff recast and since you have already made mention of doing so, people will be very leary of selling to you.

Let's put it this way.

Someone can take weeks or months of blood, sweat and tears into making a helmet to the best of his abilities, hopefully capturing the screen look and a certain degree of accuracy.

Then a recaster comes along, makes just a few tweaks and mods over the course of a weekend, and then sells copies to various people.

The recaster argues, "But it's not identical!" However, that recaster is making money off of the many months of work and labor of that fan whose helmet he's essentially ripping off. "But isn't this LFL's property?" This is LFL's intellecual property, but this helmet that's being recast is still the artistic effort of the aforementioned fan, and that helmet is still technically his artistic property.

The Fett community really encourages people to make their own scratchbuilt helmets. There are incredible templates on this site. I'd personally encourage and challenge you to make a helmet using one of these templates. At that point, the helmet is purely your own to reproduce. If you have modification or improvement ideas are built upon such work, then who knows... perhaps people will take an interest in your work then!

Good luck! :cheers

I know its would be wrong to profit off of someone elses creation.
but thats not what i want to do i only want to make 1 or 2 copies to build off of for myself and only myself i would never even think about selling one of them
would it still be wrong if I only wanted to make the copies so that i dont have to buy 3 buckets
its not like i am trying to do anything illegal
its like if i wanted to burn a copy of a cd i bought incase something happened to the original

As much as I do not approve of recasting, however, this "grey" area of a subject is prone to alot of ridicule to anyone. I think its wrong if you decided to try and profit off someone's work by casting and selling it for any sort of price.

On the other hand, Ive met and seen people recast an item just for themselves to modify and keep as extras.

You can not somewhat compare this to burning a CD or making a copy, because yes, your copying someone's work, however, its not like your going to tell the whole world, cause usually, thats a personal action, done almost by everyone. But here, your in the direct sight of all the makers and members of the forum.

I do not know what to tell you on that kind of action, however, I can agree that it is wrong to sell it.

-tubachris

I would say "no" from an "ethical" standpoint. I kinda see where you are coming from with the cd copy thing, but like Chris said, this is different. Something else to consider is that if you have never done any casting before, you may waste as much time and materials as it would cost you just to buy the extra copies.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back