First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard!

Peter,
Amazing work so far!! Hope to see more progress.
Merry Christmas to you too. :)

Many thanks, SuperJedi!
I've watched your latest thread with great admiration. Once I get to the stage of painting I will certainly take that thread as a reference. Most exquisite work! (y)

C U soon
Peter

You've spotted that accurately! (y) Still under construction and made from paper:

AtAt-01.jpg

Thanks for the response and stay tuned!;)
Peter

GREAT!!! Now you've given me yet another project to do for my kid!!!:lol:lol::lol:

Seriously, great job!

David.

Amazing work on that helmet! (y)

There is NO way I'd have the patience to do something this exacting and time consuming. I'm in awe! (y)

Awesome job!!

But alas... after seeing your method to route the wires down your RF stalk, I feel that I might have to make another for my helmet and use your method. :facepalm ;)

Keep up the great work though!! (y)

This a great build, the material that you are using looks like it workout very nicely! Very impressive! please keep posting. The RF stalk and the ears are coming a long nicely as well.

Alan

Hi everyone,

Back from celebrating Christmas and had a wonderful time. I hope you all enjoyed the Good Spirit and some quality time.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback all of you have given. It it nice to be appreciated.

Haven't had too much time to spend on building, but yesterday I picked up where I left off: sanding the dome.
Boy oh boy, what a time consuming activity that was, and still I'm not fully satisfied about the result. But maybe I should be less critical..... see for yourself in the pics below.

I also wired up the RF stalk and this worked perfectly:

Boba-36.jpg

Glued on the top layer:

Boba-37.jpg

Wires sticking out of the top:

Boba-38.jpg

And the bottom:

Boba-39.jpg

After sanding the dome (the bathroom is covered in polyfiller dust!) there still were some small dents and holes which I filled up:

Boba-40.jpg

After drying and again sanding, sanding and oh, did I mention: sanding? I cut a hole in the dome for THE dent and glued a piece of cardboard to the inside of the bucket:

Boba-41.jpg

A close-up:

Boba-42.jpg

I partially filled it with some polyfiller and also cut out the arrows:

Boba-43.jpg

Boba-44.jpg

Boba-45.jpg

That's my progress up 'til now. Hope you enjoyed the pictures (they're always the best part of any post :)).

I still need to do a lot of sanding for the cheecks, but I don't know when I will be getting to that. For the time being I still have some days of leave left and we're close to celebrating New Year's Eve. Me, my partner and our son will be spending some QT for the next couple of days so I don't know what I will be able to do on the bucket. Patience is the key 8).

Before I end this part, I have a question about preparing for painting the helmet. I would like to know if any of you guys have experience in painting up cardboard buckets, and what primer to use? Should I first coat the cardboard with anything? I read about MinWax Polycrylic Sealer, but I don't think we have that here in Holland. Or could I use spray primer straight away? Please share your thoughts and advice. Thanks for looking!;)

Back soon,
Peter

Before adding any primer to your bucket, you should definitely think of sealing it. I used poly eurethane on mine, but there is a product specifically for cardboard that will make it more rigid and waterproof. You should be able to find it at an art supply store or hobby shop.

If you can't find the cardboard specific stuff, you could try one of the many types of wood sealing finishes. It might get a bit smelly, but with multiple and light layers, it should do the trick. ;)

Than you'll be ready to hit it with primer than paint. ( most use automotive primer as it will fill in minor imperfections, you'll need to give it a light sanding before the application of the paint though. ) (y)

It says in the istructable Minwax Polycrylic sealer, and thats what i'm using. But, what brand it is in Holland, I do not know. Maybe try looking up the specifics of Polycrylic sealer and find a match of a product in Holland.

Jango72 and SpartanFett: Thanks for the feedback on my question guys! I think I will find what I need if I look what type of product or chemical composition Polycrylic sealer is. Maybe the Bob Ross Shop here in Delft can help me :).

Not much time for progress today. I worked a little bit on the dent. Here are some pics. Still a bit "rough around the edges":

Boba-46.jpg

Boba-47.jpg

Boba-48.jpg

Boba-49.jpg

Not yet finished with it, but I'm getting there.
That's it for now.

Later.

Peter

Wow! This is coming along great. That rangefinder stalk is too cool. Who would have thought you could make a hollow stalk out of cardboard? Awesome.

The helmet is looking great!! However, I believe the dent isn't in the right position, could you post a better picture of it from the front?

Hi,

Back again since a long time. Holidays and work have been taking up most of my dent-time, but I have been doing a little work on my bucket.
To start where I left off, here's a pic from the front of the helmet. I hope the dent is sort of in the right spot. If not, I'll have to Photoshop it :lol:.

Boba-50.jpg

Anyway, most of the progress has been sanding the cheeks and attaching the right ear mounting piece for the RF stalk.

Boba-52.jpg

Glued in some magnets for attaching the ear cap:

Boba-51.jpg

It snaps on pretty tight for a cardboard creation:

Boba-53.jpg

And as you can see from this animation, the RF stalk is fully moveable and there is enough friction to hold it in the upright position:

Boba-54a.gif

So next will be the sealing of the surface with acrylic resin. I need that to be as smooth as possible so I will need to figure out what applicator to use and if I should dilute or thin down the sealer. I will do some tests on a sample piece of cardboard.

Hope you still enjoy this thread, despite the unanticipated delays. Thanks for lookin'! 8) and hopefully back with more soon!

Greetz,
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Man . . . my cardboard bucket doesn't look anything like yours! lol . . . hopefully it will but right now it's in the crappy stage due to some failed fiberglassing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back