My name's Peter and I'm living in Delft, which you may know is a city in The Netherlands/Holland.
I'm brand new to this forum and I love it! Although at first I had a hard time with all the acronyms , I've been browsing and reading lots of threads from the Boba-Helmet forum and I am very, very impressed with the skills of many of you painting, weathering and scratch-building buckets.
Before I registered at TDH, I stumbled across an Instructable (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ostume-helmet/) for a cardboard Boba Fett helmet by this genius called Honus. He and Alan Sinlair gave me inspiration to start off and build a bucket myself. It is a low-cost and relatively easy method to build a helmet. Thanks guys, you are true pioneers to me! :thumbup
I must say I started about three weeks ago, so the pictures I will post here are from the past. This gives me some breathing room, as I can only work an hour or so per day to build my cardboard Boba bucket. While I'm posting this thread, I have reached the stage where I am working on the range finder, including LEDs. So far I've created the bucket, the ears and the range finder parts.
Now let's see what a Dutch dude can conjure up and have a look at my first progress, about three weeks back:
Here a pic of the base with the dome still to be glued on:
I used all the tips and tricks Honus listed, such as misting the cardboard to be able to bend it into shape. This works really well and prevents the cardboard from folding and cracking. For the dome, this is great since the rounder the shape is, the easier it will be to smoothen the dome surface.
Here are a few pics with the dome parts partially glued on (I used white glue, normally used to glue wooden parts together):
And this is a close-up of one of the cheek sections, bent into shape and glued into place:
This is the point where I glued on the second outer layer, giving the bucket more rigidness:
And to top off for today, these two pics are of the circuit board vent-grille. This was a very detailed operation in itself, since I needed to bend the grille after I cut out the holes. All parts where then glued into place and the result is quite nice.
I hope to post more of my progress-from-the-past pics later this week. This should be no problem since I am enjoying a couple of days of X-mas leave from work.
Here in Delft it is past sleepy time I think I will hit the sack now. See you soon! 8)