A Little reminder

DarthCarcinus

Jr Hunter
I know a lot of you know me, some of you don't. I'm not on here very often, and when I am I am usually impressed at what I see. I'm writing this in the spirit of the holiday season, and in the spirit of kindness through out the year.
In that spirit, I want to tell you all a Christmas story that may or may not be true, but I hope that you read it for what it is.

The Journal of a Starwars club member..

December 1st

Dear Journal, today I posted on the boards and read through to see if any one had the armor I desperately need to complete my Mando.. One person had it, but didn't want to sell it to me because I lived too far away. Great... what am I going to do now? I have a event less than a week away.

December 3rd

Dear journal, well I never found anywhere to get the armor so I guess I'll have to go to the event in my TK, but that'll be ok, I'll be the only TK there this time because it's closer to my house.

December 5th.
Argh! I don't want to go to this stupid event today. It's raining outside and we are going to a cancer treatment hospital..Ugh, I really don't want to get sick today. I think I'll bail out. There will be enough people there any way.

December 5th 11:00 AM
Dear Journal.. well I decided to go anyway. I've got my TK loaded in the car, and I'm all set to go, I better leave in a minute. I decided to go because it stopped raining.

December 5th 10:45 PM

Dear journal, well it's probably a good thing that I decided to go because only 3 of us showed up. One of the nurses pulled me a side and told me that the little boy in room 112 bed A has seriously inoperable cancer, but he has a large collection of Bobba , Jango and Storm trooper action figures. I thanked her and went into the room. When I first laid eyes on; I'll call him Thomas, he was pale, listless and didn't move much. When his mother saw me come into the room she caressed Thomas on the forhead and told him that a big surprise came into the room to see him. He turned and looked at me and suddenly the little boy came to life. His eyes sparkled and lit up. he shook my hand with his frail little hand and in a whisper excitedly told me how much he loved me. I was one of his favorite characters and he always wanted to be a storm trooper. I sat beside his bed and we talked about starwars, the Empire and what it was like to be a storm trooper, he beamed all the way through the conversation.

Dear Journal December 6th
It's still quite crappy out, and the rain is really coming down. It's strange but there's a sun break and a beautiful sunbeam shining down on the hospital area which is less than 5 blocks from my house. The nurse I met at the hospital called me a few minutes ago to let me know that my brave little stormtrooper died this morning still talking to his mother about being a stormtrooper when he grows up. I find it sad that I almost didn't go to the event, and sadder still that I didn't take the time to remember why we do what we do.

Dear Journal Decemeber 25th

Merry Christmas Journal, and Merry Christmas my little stormtrooper.

The whole point of this story is that despite arguments on the boards, despite mis-givings, it's so important to remember why we took up this "hobby" in the first place.

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Happy Quanza, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Winter Solstice, Happy Yule.

;304836 said:
I know a lot of you know me, some of you don't. I'm not on here very often, and when I am I am usually impressed at what I see. I'm writing this in the spirit of the holiday season, and in the spirit of kindness through out the year.
In that spirit, I want to tell you all a Christmas story that may or may not be true, but I hope that you read it for what it is.

The Journal of a Starwars club member..

December 1st

Dear Journal, today I posted on the boards and read through to see if any one had the armor I desperately need to complete my Mando.. One person had it, but didn't want to sell it to me because I lived too far away. Great... what am I going to do now? I have a event less than a week away.

December 3rd

Dear journal, well I never found anywhere to get the armor so I guess I'll have to go to the event in my TK, but that'll be ok, I'll be the only TK there this time because it's closer to my house.

December 5th.
Argh! I don't want to go to this stupid event today. It's raining outside and we are going to a cancer treatment hospital..Ugh, I really don't want to get sick today. I think I'll bail out. There will be enough people there any way.

December 5th 11:00 AM
Dear Journal.. well I decided to go anyway. I've got my TK loaded in the car, and I'm all set to go, I better leave in a minute. I decided to go because it stopped raining.

December 5th 10:45 PM

Dear journal, well it's probably a good thing that I decided to go because only 3 of us showed up. One of the nurses pulled me a side and told me that the little boy in room 112 bed A has seriously inoperable cancer, but he has a large collection of Bobba , Jango and Storm trooper action figures. I thanked her and went into the room. When I first laid eyes on; I'll call him Thomas, he was pale, listless and didn't move much. When his mother saw me come into the room she caressed Thomas on the forhead and told him that a big surprise came into the room to see him. He turned and looked at me and suddenly the little boy came to life. His eyes sparkled and lit up. he shook my hand with his frail little hand and in a whisper excitedly told me how much he loved me. I was one of his favorite characters and he always wanted to be a storm trooper. I sat beside his bed and we talked about starwars, the Empire and what it was like to be a storm trooper, he beamed all the way through the conversation.

Dear Journal December 6th
It's still quite crappy out, and the rain is really coming down. It's strange but there's a sun break and a beautiful sunbeam shining down on the hospital area which is less than 5 blocks from my house. The nurse I met at the hospital called me a few minutes ago to let me know that my brave little stormtrooper died this morning still talking to his mother about being a stormtrooper when he grows up. I find it sad that I almost didn't go to the event, and sadder still that I didn't take the time to remember why we do what we do.

Dear Journal Decemeber 25th

Merry Christmas Journal, and Merry Christmas my little stormtrooper.

The whole point of this story is that despite arguments on the boards, despite mis-givings, it's so important to remember why we took up this "hobby" in the first place.

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Happy Quanza, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Winter Solstice, Happy Yule.

DarthCarcinus,

That could quite possibly be one of the BEST posts I have ever read in my life! I feel the same way when I see a helpless sick child suddenly spring to life as he sees Vader come around the corner! It is the greatest feeling in the world...even though I can't really see through my tears...

Have a great holiday everyone!!

Very moving. While this particular story may not be true, there are many like it that are indeed true. Visiting children at cancer hospitals when it's Star Wars night or being a part of a child's dream for the Make A Wish Foundation is what motivates me to continue wearing armor to events. Merry Christmas. :)

D.C
Thank you for sharing that post.After reading yesterday the disagreement between two memebers here I feel your post truly puts into prespective why we here to do what we do and what drives our passion.
I believe your post should be always shared to those who lose sight of why "Trooping" was started.
Merry Christmas

My wife occasionally does fett flight suits for you guys, and I have seen the energy she puts into the costumes, as much as I put into trooping if not more. So subsequently I've seen a lot of the arguments that have been happening on the TDH, arguments that in fact brought that story to the forefront of my heart. Guys/Ladies please never forget why we put so much time, effort and energy into this so-called hobby. I believe it's more of a lifestyle because we effect so many with with we do. We are truly blessed human beings because of the privilege we have been given to do what we do.
To those of you serving in our armed forces, my prayers go with you with each passing hour on that 24 hour clock. For those of you putting your children to bed my prayers also go out with you. Be blessed, be well. :cheers

After reading this, it pulls me back to earth.

I had an experience similar to this in late October:

While doing a Batman appearance, a woman brought her young son of about 8-10 into the store to meet me. This young man had Down's Syndrome.
He came up to me, smiling. He gave me a hug.
I was cautious not to squeeze too hard, but still apply enough force to show him that "batman" cared.
He and his mother went to paint somthing (it was a whiteware/bisqueware store). Every 10-15 minutes he woudl return to show me what he did.

As they left, his mother passed my mother (apparantly she knew we were there together) and mouthed "Thank you."

My mother told me about it on the way home and I felt so touched that I had that much of an impact just by wearing a costume and saying a few words to a boy that nobody understood.

After reading this thread, it shows me just why I enjoy this: Not because of the thrill of being someone else for a few hours, but for the feel of knowing that I make a difference in someone's life just by saying "Hi, how are you?"

I have seen the look on sick kids faces. The effect we have is truly amazing. I can not state that strongly enough. When you can take a child who may not live to see their next birthday, (and they know that) and you can make them forget their problems for just a little bit..........It makes all the time and effort that we put into these costumes worth it.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back