PLEASE READ IT....

IMO i see things like personal PM's between members should remain a private issue between those involved and not publicly posted.

Alfredo,

Let's not beat a dead horse any longer. No physical, nor financial damage was done except for our pride so please for the sake of the holidays and our common interest and love for this hobby, let's just put this behind us and move on.

Well after reading all of this, I would like to give my final 2 cents to this.

As a member that has only recently joined, I try to be as objective as I can, and I certainly do not come here to change things around. But the mods and members should take a few things into consideration.

Yes this is a forum, and not ebay. Some like it, some don't how business is handled here.
Can you implement an ebay system here, the answer is no.
However I notice quite a few people that say go to ebay if you do not like it here. The funny thing is, some sellers go to ebay first, and then come here and advertise that they have stuff listed on ebay, being afraid they won't get the price they want on ebay.But that's just something I noticed along the way.

What the mods/admins should consider is a general feedback topic. Aside from joining the costuming hobby, I have been collecting Star Wars stuff since '77, and one of my favorite forums I post at, has 2 "sticky" topics. One that only lists positive feedback for a transaction and one that lists only negative feedback for a transaction. And it works like a charm. If you sell something you post what you have for sale, the person that receives the items just posts if he received the items and if everything was as described, well packaged, etc, he posts what he feels is important to the deal, or what he feels comfortable posting about the transaction. If there is a neg. issue, you just post that you never got the stuff, or whatever else happened.
There is no cost involved for anybody, not for the seller, not for the buyer and certainly not for the website, admins or mods.
And to keep the topics clean only people involved in the sales are allowed to post, no flame wars, no other members jumping in, that stuff get's deleted. Now what's the advantage!? Simple, if you are new to a site you can read through those posts and see who you should avoid to deal with and who you can trust. A further aspect is, that the seller and buyer can leave a feedback if they wish, and a lot of people would think twice about screwing another member, cause now at least their member names are out there, visible for others and as a newbie you get a good idea of what's going on.

Now one could argue, hey I have been selling for years, and now one bad comment will ruin my reputation. Which of course is not true. If you are continously doing deals with others, and let's say there are 99 posts where everybody is happy, and all of a sudden you get one negative comment, it won't have an effect. But if you sold stuff 5 times and you get 4 neg. and 1 positive, then that's a different story. And looking back at the other forum, I think we only have 2 negatives ever posted over the years, and the rest is all positive.

Now having a similar system like this here, would certainly aid the transactions here. And as far as the comment is concerned logging in with different ip's and or user names, well you can only have so many ip's, and changing your username won't help you that much either, cause If "you" screw me, I can assure you can be found, and speaking for myself, I will find you.
That being said, in the above mentioned case between the 2 members, I think a lot of miscommunication caused the problem, but maybe it's good for something.

Oh, and those feedback topics should apply to the deals in the cargo hold, where one party has something to offer for immediate shipping. The guys that help others out by building stuff for them, that's a different issue. The conditions for those deals are made by the guys that do build the stuff, there is time and labor involved which has an influence to the shipping time. And once you accept the tems as a buyer, that's it.

But if you take someones money for an item you sell, than the buyer should at least be able to expect shipping in a reasonable amount of time. The same way as the seller can expect immediate payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!!!

I think that it is a good idea.....

Maybe all this that has happened is a good thing, so we can learn from this, and it will never happened again to anybody.

Why not?

enjoy the holidays fellas! :cheers

merry x-mas everyone :)

to lighten the thread a little :

(you all no ur gonna crack a smile)
;)

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

OK,i agree.

But it is not a question of pride, for me it is a question of principles and education.

Alfredo

Alfredo,

If it was a question of principles and education...then why is it that everyone is reading this? You claim to have principles and education, so why is it that you did not keep this private matter between the two of us as it should have been? If you had responded privately to my last PM regarding the conditions of the sale maybe I would have re-considered and the armor would have been boxed, sealed and on it's way to you today. But instead you had to let everyone in on it which is in-appropriate. I admit I may have chosen the wrong words to say and I already apologized several times on this thread, but this has been blown so out of proportion it's becoming redundant and irritating to say the least.

As a result, you have jeopardized both our reputations as seller and buyer and vice versa on this board by needlessly publicizing a business matter that should have taken place privately. Selling and buying on this board or any other boards similar to this one is a privilege and it's not a right and can be taken away. As a fact of life, we cannot always get what we want and certainly we live in an imperfect world and we all have to accept it no matter what. Making a big scene about it does not help improve the situation and it certainly shows bad demeanor on your part by carrying on with is. So please, let's just put this to rest right now. I want to remain a member of this costuming community and I certainly want the same for you.

-Gene

enjoy the holidays fellas! :cheers

merry x-mas everyone :)

to lighten the thread a little :

(you all no ur gonna crack a smile)
;)

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

:D Thanks for the song! You did just that, put a smile on my face!:) Happy Holidays!

My last reply:

You said:

"Alfredo,

If it was a question of principles and education...then why is it that everyone is reading this?"

I say: Because of your lack of principles and education. Thats why.

You said"why is it that you did not keep this private matter between the two of us as it should have been"

I say. So everybody will know how you do things, and next time they will be aware.

You said: "If you had responded privately to my last PM regarding the conditions of the sale maybe I would have re-considered and the armor would have been boxed, sealed and on it's way to you today"

I say: You are saying that know, so you look like a nice guy...but dont you remember this "just forget it". You were the one that broke the deal.

You said: "I admit I may have chosen the wrong words to say and I already apologized several times on this thread"

I say: But you havent tell me that you are sorry.

You said: "it does not help improve the situation and it certainly shows bad demeanor on your part by carrying on with is"

I say: The one that did show bad manners was you, breaking the deal. I have nothing to hide, thats why i make it public. But you try to keep it private...

why?

Are you ashamed?

And this is it.

I will not reply to any of your posts, and i will never do bussiness with you again.

And to all the people that read my post, thanks .

Alfredo

Just wanted to get a post in here before this gets locked. :lol:

I actualy will agree, that I also beleive once you have a buyer, you should stick with that buyer, after you exchange addresses, I beleive that is as good as a handshake, and if you can't follow through with a deal, you need to PM the buyer/seller immediatly and explain the situation in detail, apologize, and then mabey even contact an Admin. to inform them of the sitituation just so they relise that if anything has happened/will happen, you would prefer to keep your PRIVATE MESSAGES private,etc. Also, they won't be suprised when a thread like this comes up,etc.

I also beleive there needs to be a feedback forum, I'm sorta actualy uncomfortable that there isn't one. I relise a seller might have one veiw, and the buyer another, but still, there isn't one way to inform the forum that a seller/buyer is fraud,etc. Don't know think that this would help other buyers/sellers judgement? Or, instead of leaving a negative feedback,etc. Positive deals could just leave a kudo,etc in a member's profile. So the more kudos a member has, the more reliable. Instead of having a "negative" feedback, the member would just have a number of positive ones.

Hi Jodo,

We did not close the deal. I merely replied to him letting him know that I will sell it to him and to give me his shipping address so I can get a quote for shipping. Then he PM'd me and asked to lower the price to compensate for the shipping fees and to declare a lesser value for the merchandise (lesser customs fees) and then he will pay in three installments. I did not accept his terms and I said to forget the deal and that there is another potential local buyer interested in it. I did not sell the armor to the local buyer nor am I entertaining any other offers for it as I took the merchandise off the Cargo Hold. Now, after that he publicized everything on this thread instead of negotiating some more in private.

And I don't know why he picked me to do this to, but I was not the only seller who did not accept his offer...is this other seller not as guilty as I am at least from Alfredo's perspective? Why am I being put on the chopping block here when all I did was try to be considerate and ignore my "no international shipping" rule in my ad to make someone else happy during the holidays? To me Alfredo was being ungrateful that I even considered his international offer to buy my merchandise.

And for what it's worth Alfredo...I am sorry and I apologize for what I did. I did not mean any dis-respect and I hope you can forgive me if I offended you in anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jodo,

We did not close the deal. I merely replied to him letting him know that I will sell it to him and to give me his shipping address so I can get a quote for shipping. Then he PM'd me and asked to lower the price to compensate for the shipping fees and to declare a lesser value for the merchandise (lesser customs fees) and then he will pay in three installments. I did not accept his terms and I said to forget the deal and that there is another potential local buyer interested in it. I did not sell the armor to the local buyer nor am I entertaining any other offers for it as I took the merchandise off the Cargo Hold. Now, after that he publicized everything on this thread instead of negotiating some more in private.

And I don't know why he picked me to do this to, but I was not the only one who did not accept his offer...is this other seller not as guilty as I am at least in Alfredo's perspective? Why am I being put on the chopping block here when all I did was try to be considerate and ignore my "no international shipping" rule in my ad to make someone else happy during the holidays? To me Alfredo was being ungrateful that I even considered his international offer to buy my merchandise.

And for what it's worth Alfredo...I am sorry and I apologize for what I did. I did not mean any dis-respect and I hope you can forgive me if I offended you in anyway.

Not taken sides here, but
I don't think he picked you in particular. From what I understand, it happened a few times to him, and I guess he made it public now, to make sort of a statement. It could have been anybody, it just happened that you at this point "refused to do a deal" which might have blown a fuse, that's why you kept getting mentioned.
As far as the installment payments are concerned, i read it, as if he wanted to split the entire amount in 3 payments(made at the same time) so in case customs get's a hold of one package, he has 3 different "invoices" payments to show, and I guess that's what the question aimed at, as to how many boxes it would be shipped in, cause, if he'd make one payment to you for let's say 3 boxes, and customs are holding all 3 boxes, he would have one payment to show for 3 boxes, so customs will say where is the payment for the other 2 boxes? They are kinda stupid when it comes to that. In other words, if you'd pack 3 boxes, you could have given him 3 invoices for each box, so he (alfredo) would have no trouble getting the items through customs, and he (alfredo) would have to agree to pay for paypal that incurred for the extra payments, just my thought on your "particular deal."

Hi Volkerc,

I understand the installment payment after he (Alfredo) explained it halfway through this thread. There are too many conditions on his part and had he not made this public, maybe I could meet at least one of those conditions like lowering the price to compensate for shipping but declare the merchandise for less than it's value I could not do as if something happens even if I get insurance for it, it would not compensate for my loss as I declared less for it. Had something unfortunate like that happened, Alfredo's payment would have been refunded and it would've been my loss. It's a big risk for me you understand.

It's a big risk for me you understand.

Of course I understand, and you don't have to justify it. I just think that speaking in general there should be some improvement made to make trading safer, because as you mentioned there is risks involved, but for both parties in a transaction(unfortunately). Like I said before, maybe something good comes out of this.

well well well....

I said that i was not going to post again , but i have to do it for two reasons:

1.-"I am sorry and I apologize for what I did. I did not mean any dis-respect and I hope you can forgive me if I offended you in anyway." . And all i can say is thanks. And i wish i could have bought the costume as i wanted at the beginning.

2.- Just to make clear that the discount that i asked you in shipping was because you did include shipping in the USA for the same price that i was going to buy it, therefore i though that it was fair to lower the internatinal shipping cost to compensate (you were going to pay for it if i wasin the USA right?)

Thanks

Alfredo

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back